“Charming Eatery”

Spice Kitchen + Bar
Ranked #66 of 1,872 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: WHERE THE LOCALS EAT LOCAL. "An endless procession of chefs voice devotion to sustainable agriculture. Few Northeast Ohio restaurateurs exhibit so finely honed a commitment to farm-to-table cuisine as the Bebenroths." - Joe Crea, Dining Editor, Northeast Ohio Media Group At Spice, orders for "the usual" have been replaced by requests like, "I'll take whatever's growing." Our food and drink menus change seasonally, and our daily specials are infused with just-picked ingredients from our on-site hoop house or our farm in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. To Chef Ben Bebenroth, buying local is all about supporting independent growers who are strong stewards of our land. Our goal is to source at least 80% of all ingredients from small family farms practicing sustainable forms of agriculture within a 150-mile radius of Cleveland. Our revenue is kept within the community, not spread among a national corporate franchise, to help build momentum toward the revitalization of our city neighborhoods. For you, this means fresher, nutrient-dense ingredients that you can trust, prepared from scratch by classically trained chefs. Located at the gateway to Gordon Square Arts District, about 10 minutes west of downtown Cleveland, Spice also offers creative indoor and outdoor special events spaces for those seeking a new celebration destination.
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My friends and I dined at Spice over the past weekend. We were pleasantly surprised by the excellent service and creative food. The wine selection is extensive and there is a good wine for everyone's budget. The food, ah the food! It was innovative, fresh and delicious. We tried three appetizers and found them all wonderful. Our dinners were exceptional as well. I especially loved the broccoli risotto. Yum! The atmosphere is warm and cozy. Our bartender/ waiter, Dave, was the ideal, helpful, allowing us enough time between courses, and always there when we needed something. Super restaurant. I can't wait to go back. ( We were lucky to get in without reservations, however, I would advise that if you want to be sure to get in, give them a call.)

1  Thank Judy R

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We recently dined at Spice with another couple, and enjoyed the experience very much. The decor is neutral but very soothing, and there is much more space inside than I thought there would be. With that said, I took off half a point for the very tiny table for 4 people; we had to constantly juggle plates and drinkware to make room for appetizer and entreee dishes.

I can only comment on the food my husband and I ate, because, alas, I didn't want to eat off my companions plates! My husband started with the chili (which he said was delicious) and had the special - fish tacos, and they were outstanding. And I don't like fish! These were battered walleye, but so so so fresh that there was no unpleasant fishy-ness to them at all. A nice slaw and tangy, but not too spicy, sauce accompanied the tortillas, and the four tacos served with the entre were very filling.

I had chicken with chive spaetzle and farm vegetables, and although it was good, it really wasn't that special. I also thought the chicken breast was much too dry, hence, another half point deduction. However, dessert more than made up for that disappointment. I had the Panne cotta with Strawberry-Rhubarb preserves and Lemon Creme Whoopie pie. I normally go for something chocolate, but I'm glad I tried this. The preserves on top of the panne cotta were a perfect balance of flavor and married wonderfully with the custard. The lemon of the whoopie pie, which by itself was light and delicious, melded well with the flavors of the panne cotta.

Another nice bonus is that Spice has a small parking lot behind the restaurant, though one can usually find street parking in the area as well.

Though a bit on the pricey side, I would certainly come back for a special night out.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The spring pea soup was superlative. I didn't think I would like a chilled soul, however, nothing is further than the truth.
I liked it so much, I went back the next day for another round.
Everything at Spice is always fresh, organic and brilliantly prepared.
Spice is one of Cleveland's best kept secrets.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Dinner for two couples this past weekend. Preprandial cocktails were great, followed by creative little plates and four great dinners. The smokey shrimp bisque special was excellent. My husband was delighted with his lamb two ways and my friend and I enjoyed the ramps and mushroom ravioli. First time but we will be back. Great value and fun venue along with very pleasant and friendly service. Sorta quite around 7 on a Saturday night but packed by the time we left after 8:30.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Met several colleagues for a Thursday night business dinner. Bar and dinner service were quick and pleasant without disrupting our conversation. I had tomato bisque, beautifully presented, $9, and lamb two ways with mashed potatoes and green beans, $30. Both were delicious. Patio seating behind the building was quiet and not too crowded. This restaurant is one long block east of Gordon Square on Detroit Avenue, definitely urban but safe enough.