“Surprisingly Good”

Greater Cleveland Aquarium
Ranked #26 of 187 things to do in Cleveland
More attraction details
Owner description: The Greater Cleveland Aquarium energizes curiosity by passionately educating and entertaining about aquatic life and conservation. Set in a powerhouse built in 1892, see an octopus, touch stingrays, meet African tortoises, discover seahorses and jellies in more than 50 exhibits. Don't miss the 170-foot SeaTube, surrounding guests with sharks, eels, fish and rays.
Cleveland, Ohio
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Surprisingly Good”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Spent the afternoon with Mom for Mother's day. Wasn't expecting much, as it doesn't have a good reputation among locals - but we really enjoyed ourselves. Fantastic opportunity to touch stingrays - spent about a half hour in that exhibit alone. The staff was friendly knowledgeable. Some nice size sharks. Not as huge as the Baltimore Aquarium, but I liked it better than the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Travelgnomer

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Overpriced and unforntunate debacle”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I am a biology teacher (and former scientist) and I am an avid admirer of zoos/aquariums/sanctuaries, etc. Now I realize that not all animal enclosures are created equal; I do recognize that the the opportunity to educate our citizens on the biosphere can be done precisely at these location of animal enclosures.

Here's my gripe about the Cleveland Aquarium (aside from the overpriced admission, etc), but the information on the species and their importance to their ecosystem, limitations on an ecosystem, etc were nowhere to be found at the Aquarium. No mention that LIONFISH are extremely poisonous, but also a huge INVASIVE SPECIES in the Caribbean waters. I'm not an entrepreneur or a genius or anything, but wouldn't that be slightly important to note? Shark tank was poorly maintained when we visited (couldn't see with the algae on the glass and the murky water). Don't get me started on the vast majority of the tanks in the front with Blue Gills. Seriously? I have unborn children who know a stupid Blue Gill is.

I'm disgusted that this was the result of kicking out the Rock Bottom Brewery and Improv (not a vendetta against the relocation). If they were relocating extremely profitable venues, then they shouldn't have done such a huge disservice to the future customers with a terrible aquarium with no education on the devastation on the Great Lakes nor the future of the Great Lakes with the impending doom with the Asian Carp and Eutrophication that is currently threatening Lake Erie specifically. So great job Cleveland, you screwed up again.

Visited September 2012
9 Thank Pittsburgh P
Galway
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Good but expensive.”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Cleveland Aquarium was quite good, with enough to keep you busy for 90 minutes. It is a bit on the pricey side @ $20 per adult and $14 for under 16's, it makes it an expensive hour and a half if you have 2 kids!

Visited April 2013
Chicago, Illinois
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Beibg from Chicago we were pleasantly surprised by how up close and personalbwe could we to the fish. My son could pet the stingrays as long as he wanted. The employees were friendly and knowledgeable?

Visited May 2013
1 Thank mbaTravels A
Ohio
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“LOTS OF FISH”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We spent about three hours here. It was nice and there were a lot of fish and plenty of tanks to look at. The stingray tank had divers that had thing you can touch. You are also allowed to touch the stingrays. The shark tank was neat--you can walk underneath them. If anyone has been to Sea World, it is similar to that. There were also turtles, alligators, and eels. There are some things to read for educational purposes. The cost was somewhere around $20 per adult. They do offer senior discounts. There is a cafe on the upper floor--there wasn't much to choose from, so we ended up eating at the House of Blues a few blocks away. The GPS took us out of the way, so be away that the Aquarium is in the Powerhouse. I would like to go back, although it is not a place I would go to every year unless I had children. OH! They had a penny machine and a gift shop too.

Visited January 2013