WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersBronze level
Toledo, Ohio
“long term stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Suites for over 4 mos as a family member was in the Cleveland Clinic. I have read other postings and would like to share our experiences. First, the quality and friendliness of the staff was excellent. Given the challenges that we faced, the thoughtfulness, service and warmth consistantly shown was wonderful. A true testemate to the leadership of the organization and the recognition that so many of their visitors don't "want" to be there, but, are there due to medical emergencies.
We chose the suites over the hotel due to the size of the rooms and having 2 seperate living areas as well as a kitchenette. This proved useful for the early mornings and late evenings at the hospital and being able to get a bite to eat in our room.
We found the rooms to be spacious and clean. The beds were very comfortable. We also experienced the a/c issues during the spring change over. This was an unfortunate sitiuation that management was trying to make the best. They offered fans and/or a transfer to the hotel when the system, that was going through renovation, had a malfunction. Their hospitality during this was remarkable given the tremdendous challenge.
The restaurant/bar during the renovation was forced to be in the lobby. This was not a good situation, but, the staff was friendly and again, tried to make the most of the situation. Once the renovated restaurant opened it was a totally different experience. The food was excellent and the surroundings beautiful. The courtyard was well laid out for a serene setting.
The renovated work out center was top notch with all new equipment and ventilation.
While we were there during a very difficult period, we will certainly go back while in Cleveland!
Regarding parking. Unfortunately the Clinic is not located in the safest part of Cleveland. While the charge may not be inexpensive, it was very more secure for the vehicle and ourselves. We found the valets to be friendly and speedy.

Room Tip: Due to renovations we had to change rooms 2 times. We found the 8th floor amenities to be best
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fjtcpa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

We were traveling through Cleveland on a long road trip and didn't know where we would stay. We used our smartphones to find rooms here for $89. Wow! The Holiday Inn Express was more expensive. Our rooms were fantastic with such a comfortable bed and fantastic shower. Couldn't have been a better pit stop. Our only complaint was the $16 parking (yikes!) and that the location can be a little scary late at night a few blocks away.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

All Suites Hotel - ALL NEW ROOMS. The rooms are contemporary and plush. Comfort is definately a given here. The entire hotel is brand new inside. The restuarant was excellent for breakfast (not cheap - but very nice). This is definately a 4 star property again and Intercontinental has done a beautiful job IMO.
This is rated by a person who stays coast to coast in business class hotels year round.
The only draw back to this property: No pool or spa

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

When walking in the hotel you can definitely notice the unfinished work in the main lobby. After checking in we went to our suite on the fourth floor. The carpet was pretty dirty in front of three rooms near the elevators....Not a good look at all! Maybe a guest spilled something but it was bad and something you would not expect to see at an pricey Intercontinental . We called the front desk to let them know but the next day it was still there. However, the hallway carpet was new. The suite was a nice surprise. It was very spacious, had new furniture, two flat screen televisions and was also exceptionally clean. The two double beds were delightful and the bedding nice and thick. The living area was a really nice size with a let out king sofa bed, microwave, mini fridge and small table to eat. We order room service and of course it was pricey but didnt taste too too bad (certainly not great). The hotel restaurant ( is finished) looks really nice and the menu looks decent. There are no restaurants nearby besides McDonalds and Burger King and it is across from a hospital. Nothing exciting in the area and not the best looking area either. It is located in "Midtown" and was like a ghost town on a Sunday evening. Overall, I was not impressed walking in and would have not paid full price for a room with all of the renovations. However, when you get inside of the rooms you can see the vision of the hotel and know that when they do finish it is going to be really nice. I would go back.

Hunt Valley
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

The shower was all moldy and when pointed out to general manager was told that was just a stain. What kind of black stain that won't scrub off is on shower handles ? Mold ! Do not stay in room 515. I also requested and upon check-in the front desk personnel confirmed that I have a feather free room. When I checked the pillows and found they were all feather I complained and was told I never requested a feather free room. Customer service is non existent in this facility. When asking the front desk people for suggestoins or directions they would shrug their shoulders and say I would have to look that up.

4 Thank AmyBlue66
Nashville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

My wife and I came to the Cleveland Clinic initially for an anticipated two-day medical consultation for my wife, and a possible cardio catheterization angiogram (cath), which turned out to be necessary. After the cath, it turned out she needed full blown double bypass surgery. I won’t get into that except to say that the Cleveland Clinic is the place to go, if you need that type of work done. Our experience with the clinic itself was five-star all the way from start to finish.

I wish our hotel stay had been as good. When you come to the Cleveland Clinic from out of town like we did, you probably will want to stay in one of the 3 lodging facilities offered on the Cleveland Clinic campus. The campus itself, which is as big as a large college campus, is very clean, attractive, and has great security. The entire campus, indoors and out, is non-smoking. The area surrounding the campus, on the other hand, is a virtual ghetto. There aren’t any other hotels nearby. The most upscale and most expensive hotel on campus is the Intercontinental Hotel Cleveland. The second tier lodging is the Intercontinental Suites Hotel Cleveland (the Suites), where we stayed, and the least expensive, and oldest, is the Cleveland Clinic Guest House Hotel. We chose the Suites because the rooms were described as the largest, and most of them were recently refurbished. The Intercontinental Hotel is connected to the hospital via an indoor “skywalk,” and offers the most convenient access to the hospital. The Suites are two blocks, or about 450 yards away via exterior sidewalk from the hospital. The walk takes 5-8 minutes, but you are exposed to the weather, which can be bad in Cleveland. The Guest House is a little closer – probably about a 200 yard walk from the hospital, and also open-air.

We were there from April 25, 2011 until May 7, 2011 (12 nights). My wife was in the hospital for all but five nights. I spent two nights in her hospital room, but the remaining nights I slept in the Suites. Of course we paid for all 12 nights whether we were there or not. We rented a “Pure” king suite at a rate of $180 per night (AAA rate), plus 16.25% taxes. The “Pure” room was supposed to guarantee a non-allergenic clean air environment, and it cost an additional $18 extra per night over the standard king suite.

First, I’ll describe the good part. The hotel is very clean and quiet. The staff is friendly and accommodating. The lobby is small but nice. Several complimentary newspapers are available in the lobby. The room was a one bedroom suite with a good sized sitting area, and small kitchenette, very clean, and totally free of any odors, etc. There was a Keurig coffee maker in the room with several complimentary blends available. The room appeared to have been renovated fairly recently (we had requested a renovated room). The bed was extremely comfortable. We were very happy with the room – at first.

Now for the bad news, and there was quite a bit. First, the room was pretty warm when we walked in (74 degrees), but the A/C was turned off, so we turned it on and set the thermostat to 65, which is the temperature we try to keep our home, summer and winter. The outside temperature was about 65 degrees that evening. Neither of us can sleep well in a hot room. We went to dinner in the Citrus Restaurant in the lobby, which was so-so, and returned to find the room even hotter – 76 degrees. We sweated through the first night by opening the windows all of the 3 inches they would open. The following morning we awoke to find the room 74 degrees, despite the open windows and A/C set at 65 all night long, and cool overnight rainy temperature outside. I called the front desk, and they assured me they would take care of it. The following night we returned to the room to find it 79 degrees! I called the front desk, and was told “we are working on it.” They told me to turn off the A/C, because it was putting out heat, not cool air, even though it was set at 65. Long story short, after four different desk clerks told me 4 different stories, I learned that this hotel cannot operate A/C and heat at the same time. They run heat until summer, then A/C until fall, and then back to heat again. Consequently, even on May 7, 2011, they still only had heat available. Our “Pure” room became a joke, since we left the windows open 24/7 our entire 12 night stay. They sent up a fan to help, but it made very little difference. They did reduce our room rate to that of a non-“Pure” room, which lowered the daily rate to $162 ++. My complaint was enhanced when I learned that the lobby, conference rooms and even the hallways did have A/C - only the rooms did not.

My second complaint is the total lack of hotel parking. There is no on-site parking at all. The hotel offers valet parking at $16 per day (plus a 10-15 minute wait + tips every time you call for the car). The alternative is a self parking garage which is a 450 yard hike from the hotel that costs $12 per day or 5 days for $30. By the time taxes, parking, and valet tips are added, that $180 room became $230 per night. No matter what method of parking you choose, it is a huge hassle. In addition, if you have guests visit you like we did on two occasions, they are subjected to the same exorbitant rates, even for only a short visit. The main Intercontinental Hotel offers the same identical parking situation, from what I was told. The Guest House has a complimentary open parking lot adjacent to the hotel that is much more convenient and available for guests as well.

My third complaint concerns meals. There are three restaurants associated with the two Intercontinental Hotels, but only two are open at any one time. All three of them have the same basic menu, which is at best, satisfactory. Despite what the hotel reservation personnel may tell you, there are no other eating options on campus that I could find, except for the food court in the hospital, and the hospital cafeteria. I ate most of my meals at the hospital food court. It was reasonably priced, and convenient to the hospital, but not to the hotel. However, even the food court has only three restaurant choices - Mexican, McDonalds, and a deli-type shop, in addition to a Starbucks. Eating the same meals for 12 days in a row gets pretty old.

The service at all three hotel restaurants is very slow. The room service at the Suites was even slower - at least an hour or more wait. If you want an adult beverage, go somewhere else, or better yet, bring your own. The bartender cannot make a decent drink, and the booze selection is terrible, unless you like vodka-rocks. I got the impression that drinking alcohol is not encouraged here.

My final complaint is pretty trivial, but a 12 day stay usually includes some TV time. The room had two large flat screens. They were great. The bad part was the lack of channel selection. There were a grand total of 25 English speaking channels available, five of which were for children and fifteen more of which I would never watch. They did have six Arabic speaking channels available which was interesting to watch the day after Bin Laden was killed…. Only one sport channel is offered – ESPN, one news channel – CNN, and NO Weather Channel! I’ve never been to a hotel that didn’t offer the Weather Channel. In fact, I had to go to the lobby every morning to find out how to dress. The barely openable tinted windows prevented an accurate guess from the room, and the morning outdoor temperatures varied from 35 degrees to 70 degrees during our stay.

Overall, the convenience to the hospital worked for us, the room was very clean, spacious and well kept, and the bed was extremely comfortable. Under normal circumstances, we probably would have moved because of the heat, but with my wife in the hospital, I was not there very much, and it simply was not worth the hassle. Incidentally, the A/C in the Cleveland Clinic worked great, and my wife had a very comfortable stay there. Later in the summer, with the A/C operational, the temperature might have been perfect in our room. However, in the wintertime it must be like an oven all the time since the room cannot be kept below 76 degrees, even with the heat off.

One final note. At the end of our stay we met with the management and complained about the heat issue. The manager was very understanding, and I got the impression that we were not the only guests who were upset. She admitted that they go through this problem every seasonal change. She agreed to make the last day and a half of our stay complimentary, which we thought was a fair resolution to the problem, and made us feel a little better.

I wrote this review immediately after our stay, but forgot to post it until now.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. Ask about the heat and A/C situation. It might have been renovated.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank 275GTB4
Alpharetta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

Recent renovations are nice. Rooms clean and comfortable. Hotel staff very helpful. My only issue was that we had to use valet service. No self parking option was available although it is noted on the hotel reservation website. Our trip purpose was to find an apartment and with our tight budget, I couldn't tip each time that I needed my car.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family