“Nice hotel, convenient to ballpark and arena”

Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown
Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed May 18, 2008

We were in Cleveland to see a baseball game, and we couldn't have found a better place to stay. It's a very short walk to and from the ballpark. The check-in clerk was friendly, and the room was very good as well. No complaints at all in that regard.

There aren't any eating places nearby unless you count the Subway across the street. North of the ballpark and arena there are a few places within walking distance. Breakfast was buffet style which will cost you, but that's typical of downtown hotels in general. Parking was outside at the back of the hotel and will cost you as well. (about $15 a night).

The interstates are within easy access so that was convenient. The location is good when there are sporting events going on, not sure what it's like around there at other times.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank roncar

Reviewed April 22, 2008

Disclaimer: My review is based on comparing this hotel to others in it's price/star range. I travel for business and the hotel cost is expensed, so I rarely am concerned about the room rate.

Overview: Stayed here during a two week business trip to the Cleveland area. Pretty busy hotel for a time of year when spring has not yet reached Cleveland. Check in was quick and easy and I got everything I'd expect as a Hilton Honors Diamond member (free bottles of water, daily vouchers for the buffet breakfast). There's a pantry store with all sorts of frozen dinners, drinks (coffe drinks, energy drinks, sodas, water, juice) and snacks. Indoor pool and hot tub, business center with printing service and a fitness center, none of which were exceptional but were otherwise fine.

Bars/Restaraunts: Full breakfast buffet and a dining area for dinner (after 5:00 PM). No lunch as far as I could tell. Also a cozy sports bar with the full dinner menu. The bar can get very busy on game days as they usually only have one bartender on duty. Nothing spectacular but not bad either. Room service was fine as well.

Room: Sweet Baby Jesus! Overhead lighting! It's like Hilton actually pays attention to customer requests sometimes. I had a corner room on the 5th floor. I don't know if it was just the corner rooms (rooms ending in 00) but the room was huge. Very comfortable bed but pillows were so oversized I felt my neck was at a right angle to my body. I requested some smaller pillows my 2nd morning there and had them by the time I was back from the office. Bathrooms nice with good amenities. Wireless high-speed internet worked well and is free. Plenty of desk space. Comfortable, modern furniture in good shape. Because of overhead lighting, room is quite a bit brighter than a typical hotel room with lamps only. My room had small fridge and microwave but I'm not sure this is true of all rooms. Check with the desk on that.

Staff: Excellent, Excellent, Excellent! I met the night manager at the hotel bar the 2nd night I was at the property and as soon as I introduce myself he said "Oh, you're the guy who's here for 13 nights!" then thanked me for being a Diamond member and bought me a drink. After that, the night manager (not always this guy) called about every 3 or 4 nights to make sure everything was going okay. To me, that's just great customer service. I usually don't need much other than what's already in the room but just checking in with me to see if I might need anything is great. Hotel managers, pay attention...this is how to do it! I ran into this manager several other evenings coming and going from the hotel and he gave me some good advice for stuff to do on my free weekend, pointed me to some good restaurants and gave me passes for the local nuddy bar...that might not be your cup of tea I think it's good service. From the cleaning staff to the desk staff to the managers, good all around.

Other: I've noticed a fear factor in a few of the reviews for walking around this area of downtown and I gotta say I just don't see it. I've stayed in pretty much every major city in the US and Cleveland is not much different from any other north-central industrial town. Yeah, there are some homeless out asking for change but they were not particularly aggressive with me. I walked about eight blocks back from House of Blues alone on a Sunday night and other than getting pan-handled a few times was not bothered.

Baseball stadium is a half block walk away. Basketball arena is about two blocks. A few good restaurants and bars on East 4th street (part of downtown revitalization project). Several blocks of good bars, clubs, restaurants and coffee shops in the Warehouse district of downtown (25 minute walk from hotel, 7-8 dollars by cab). Check out tower city for indoor shopping and dining (has a Hard Rock Cafe, Asian Fusion place, and the restaurant for the Ritz-Carlton). Very nice House of Blues on the East 4th street block. I went to two shows there and was impressed by the venue.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank metsisme
Reviewed March 26, 2008

For the price, this hotel was OK (we got the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame package). Unfortunately, we had some noisy neighbors, and with the thin walls, this made for a late night. But once we were able to fall asleep, it was great -- very comfortable mattress. The staff was quite friendly, but the facilities were a little disappointing. The free Internet service was great, but the pool and fitness facility left a lot to be desired. The food at the main dining area was quite tasty and reasonably priced. Had some worries about the part of town we were in; when we looked outside our window, we saw an adult treatment center and a few seedy businesses. I guess for the price, we did OK. But if you're looking for a comfortable hotel with top-notch rooms and amenities, I suggest looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank buffalorocker
Reviewed March 3, 2008

Had a very pleasant stay at HGI. Easy to find, clean, friendly staff. A very nice room, large by city standards. Walked to the Q to see a Cavaliers game. Attractions are never as close as websites say they are! Desk clerk clarified " a 7 minute blustery walk in winter" which was accurate. Cavs Slam Dunk made for a very nice deal. $124/night with parking and breakfast included. Breakfast was very good. Service excellent. Pool and hot tub were very nice. The only thing I will say is, if I were a woman alone, I would be nervous walking downtown.

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank Pushing50Ny
Reviewed December 18, 2007

Spacious guest rooms, business capabilities, and a great location, the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown is an excellent value. No need for anything more. The staff was friendly, the hotel was not far from the motorway making it quick to get to and from the airport. With a stadium next to it and an arena just a block away, there are plenty of pubs and things to do in the immediate area.

Stayed: October 2005
5  Thank CityGuy07052
Reviewed September 18, 2007

exceptionally clean,staff friendly and helpful,great shower power,beds are so comfortable!there is a parking fee but well worth it!breakfast extra,had to leave very early and didn"t get to try it.we felt safe in this hotel.quiet,peaceful.plenty of food delivery available.would definitely stay again,can't wait to.air conditioning worked well.microwave and fridge were handy.pool area clean.can't wait to stay again!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank katiemommy
Reviewed September 15, 2007

I like the Garden Inn chain, and was lucky enough to get one on my first try on Priceline. $119 a night, which was good, with all the Cleveland Indians activity.

We were there for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and it was a little bit far to walk there, but it is easy enough to get a taxi, or you can dirve like we did, there is ample parking all around the area. I would have walked, but my dad has a mobile scooter, so we were a little far for that.

The restaurant was good, not spectacular, but fine. Nice bar/lounge, too.

The hotel staff, from the front desk to the restaurant to the parking lot attendant, were very nice and accomodating, in fact, everyone in Cleveland we encountered was very nice!

I recommend!

I would stay there again; most definitely if I were there for a baseball game!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business