“Solid Stay near the Clinic”

Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown
Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
“Solid Stay near the Clinic”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stay here for work and bring others from my company. Normal HGI rooms and solid service. Ask for a even-numbered room on a higher floor for good view facing downtown skyline; odd-numbered rooms face the highway. I do not notice highway noise when I stay here.

Room had good supporting mattress with lots of pillows, coffee maker, iron and board, mini-fridge, flat screen TV w HD, free WIFI, and small microwave. Also nice workout area (used) and pool (didn't use). For an additional workout you can run the 24+ flights of stairs (no joke, I've done it).

Great breakfast---cold and hot items and also cooked to order. I usually get free with HiltonHonors membership (breakfast coupons). Good specials in the bar on game nights. Most any item on restaurant menu can be served in the bar area if you want. They also have a pantry area near the front desk if you need a snack or drink (soft drinks and beer/wine).

I had good service from Tina at front desk, Mike and Meagan in Bar, and especially Martha at Breakfast.

Subway and a Thai place across the street, but they have a nice internal restaurant also.

Pricing may vary based on occupancy, but usually less than the more downtown hotels.

Hotel is approx 3 miles from the Clinic.

Room Tip: Ask for even-numbered room on higher floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank vgroten
HGIClevelandDntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
First let me thank you and your coworkers for choosing to stay with us and for being a repeat guest. We sincerely appreciate that! But also thank you for the very detailed and thorough review. Please know your kind words in regard to our team members will certainly be shared with them. Take care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Pittsburgh
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here this past Saturday night....were in town for the Madonna concert which was within walking distance to the hotel. Told the front desk clerk I was doing a review on Tripadvisor and asked for a complimentary upgrade....said none were available. The window in our room (#215) looked DIRECTLY onto another roof....horrendous view! Booked the "romance package" which included a King room, a bottle of wine and breakfast for 2. Price was $187 including tax. Parking was an additional $16 in their lot but we parked on the street (free meter parking on the weekends). When we checked in, we did not receive our wine. A few hours after checking in, I realized they did not give us the wine so I called to the front desk and requested it....never arrived....we waited close to an hour. When we left for the evening, we stopped by the front desk, asked for directions to the arena and inquired about the wine. We were told by the front desk clerk that she "forgot" about the wine because the front desk area became "hectic" and she had to ask the manager for the key for the wine location. Asked us if she could send the wine up to the room. We responded "No, we are leaving at this point but will stop back when we return to the hotel". When we returned after the concert, there was a a note IN our room along with a bottle of wine and champagne and a note from a manager (i think) apologizing for not sending the wine to the room when requested. Here is the problem.....we placed the DO NOT DISTURB notice on our door and they still came into our room while we were gone! UNEXCUSABLE!!! We SPECIFICALLY stated we would stop by the front desk when we returned to the hotel and they did not honor that request!!!! So in short....we did not receive the wine at check in, did not receive the wine when we called to the front desk, told them we would stop by the front desk when we returned, and finally, placed the do not disturb on the door and NONE of those were honored!!!! Hotel has a bar which has a liquor license until 2:00 or 2:30 a.m. but was closed when we arrived back to the hotel at 1:00 a.m.....wanted a nightcap (one of the reasons we booked this hotel) but was unable to have one there. Had the breakfast in the morning....fantastic!!!! Highly recommend. The hotel room was small/average size, clean, had a small bathroom with a vanity inside of the bathroom only. Have stayed at many hotels (as my profile indicates) and this one is average at best for location, price and customer service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a view of a roof and be sure if you book a package, you receive all items at...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dontstayathome
HGIClevelandDntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
I am sorry about the experience you encountered with our desk team member and that she forgot to have your wine delivered at the time you had asked. I can assure you this is not the norm for our staff for we strive to educate our desk team on how we value your business.
When she realized her mistake she tried to compensate by giving you more than the package included but obviously she should have waited for your return. Believe me when I tell you she felt bad about the whole situation for I was working that evening. Our sincere aplogizes!
Michigan
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My family stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Cleveland right across from the Cleveland Indians baseball field. My wife went to see the Madonna concert at the Quicken Loans arena which was only a 10 minute walk from the hotel. The hotel staff was friendly and accommodating. We booked this room via priceline and I guess by default they reserve a smoking room. So, we asked for a non-smoking room which they provided us. I didn’t even realize hotels still had smoking rooms. I’m from Michigan and it’s pretty much illegal to smoke in any building. The parking was $16 and it was convenient where we could come and go during the day. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Colorado
Reviewed November 9, 2012

In short, the staff at this hotel are excellent! Everyone was extremely friendly and nice and did everything they could to make me feel welcome. On the down side, the hotel is located next to a highway and I could hear some highway noise, my room was not as clean as I would like (I noticed dirt on the dresser), and the room had a little bit of a stale smell to it. To be fair, this was just after the hurricane came through, so the moisture might have caused this smell. I got a GREAT deal for this hotel on Hotwire, so I was happy with the value of my stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel several times and have always had a good experience. My last visit was no different. Good location in downtown, close to the interstate and walking distance to the new casino. It will remain one of my "go-to" hotels in Cleveland.

• Stayed September 2012
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My friend and I stayed here as we were attending a Brown's game. Now the stadium is not real close, maybe walking distance for the "young at heart" but a cab ride was only about $10. The motel is right next door to Progressive Field - so baseball fans - take note - this is the place you want to stay. The motel itself is nicely appointed - roomy, very comfortable beds - great shower - and most of all - very friendly staff!!! The breakfast buffet is about $11 but it's worth it - lots of pastry and breakfast bread choices, the usual buffet items but also an omelet station. The waitress takes your omelet order and will bring it to your table when ready. We had a small problem with house keeping but it was taken care of quickly. For the price I would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JMC82454
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed overnight to attend the World Series of Wine at Progressive Field. The service is good and they have a shuttle to take their guests around downtown until 9pm ish - no cab needed. We had breakfast and it was good. Some friends had dinner and said it was excellent. This is our second time staying there and will go back.

• Stayed November 2012
HGIClevelandDntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us for the annual World Series of Wine event. With the event literally across the street at Progressive Field it makes it quite convenient for everyone attending. Also thank you for the excellent feeback and review. See you next year!