“They went above and beyond for this business traveler”

Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed here three nights for business travel and it was my second visit. The first time was fine, and this stay was even better.
Check in-was friendly, and efficient. Loved the free welcoming cookies since I was hungry upon arrival. My requested room that included a microwave/fridge was very spacious, clean and comfortable. The bed could be adjusted for mattress firmness/comfort. I had some initial issues accessing the complimentary Wi-fi and I received assistance immediately.
I would suggest that on check in the guest can be instructed that a log in is needed to access for increased efficiency.
Had dinner twice in the restaurant and thought the food was tasty, and service was prompt.
Appreciated the restaurant off of the lobby since I didn't want to venture out in the rainy weather.
I had an early morning meeting at a nearby location that was tricky to find, especially in the dark. They assisted me with transportation so I could arrive at my meeting on time. This was very much appreciated. I also liked the shuttle service, that made it very convenient to get around downtown in the evening.
I made use of the hot tub/spa and pool area, which was nice after a long drive.
Might suggest a complimentary continental breakfast as other hotels offer.
I would definitely stay here again when I visit Cleveland for future business trips as I felt at home.

1  Thank chickie-b
HGIClevelandDntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

We post all reviews for our hotel no matter if their excellent or less than favorable so our team can see how our guest's overall experience has been while staying with us. Your review is much appreciated not only for the kind feedback but for the helpful suggestions. So please your review will be shared with our team and we thank you for choosing to stay with us each time you are in town.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,555)

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was in Cleveland for a convention and stayed 5 nights at the Hilton Garden Inn, across from Safeco field. The check-in went quickly. The room was neat and spacious. My only complaint was the restaurant in the hotel. The food i ordered was passable at best. I would also have liked for the mattress to be firmer but that is my problem, not the hotel's.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

My father needed to go to Cleavland Clinic, and he is too weak to take the 5 hour trip one way in the same day, so my sister paid for the hotel for me, him, and my mother for 2 nights.
Got there around 2:50pm, no rooms available, but I have reservations for 2 rooms, and they are prepaid non refundable, 3:20pm, still no rooms. ( yes I am worried, got 2 elderly people sitting in the lobby with no rooms for the night, 5 hours from home). Called my sister to inform her she might have flushed her money down the toilet, and I may have to hit the road and go looking for a room for the night. NOW, I'm standing in line to get a room, around 3:30pm got rooms, got in the first room and have my parents settled in. I opened the door for my room for the night and there are suitcases open on the beds and the room is obviously occupied. Closed door quickly !!! called my sister and the front desk and informed them of the problem. NOT happy considering what liability THAT put me in, I am just glad I did not walk in on someone in a compromising position, or something worse. Had to go to a pharmacy, found one about 4 blocks away, traffic horrible and parking is worse, took about 30 minutes to get there and back. My parents were so tired, they wanted to eat and call it a night, so down to the hotel restaurant instead of going out, bad move. The food was not very good but it was expensive. Got up the next morning for breakfast , just how do you screw up eggs and potatoes I don't know, but they did it, the toast was OK. The manager gave me a free breakfast for the trouble I had getting rooms, but it was not worth the price, we did not eat at the hotel again.
I bought my dad some water and a candy bar and had to pay at the front desk, it took 5 or more minutes to get waited on and I was the only one there, and the two people at the desk went to the back to get someone to take my money instead of just taking care of it, weird.
Well, I can't take the chance of NOT having a room for my dad, seeing how fragile he is and we do need to go back to CC at least a few more times but I won't go back to this Hilton, I can't take the chance of not having a room.
sorry guys

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank t429
HGIClevelandDntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

I was the manager that worked with you during your check-in issues and we here at the HGI Cleveland Downtown apologize again for any inconvenience you or your family encountered during this process. As I had stated we had sold out the night prior and it wasn't that we did not have you reservations, for we did, we did not have the specific room types that you had requested clean and ready at the time of your early checkin. I am just glad we were able to get your parents in earlier than our normal check-in time. But for any troubles you experienced inside or outside our hotel we sincerely apologize.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

There was 8 of us that came down for the Browns game from Canada. As soon as we checked in Dede at the front desk informed us of the bad news that they did not have our 4 double bed rooms available for us. She was extremely apologetic, and did everything she could to make it up to us. They offered us free parking, free breakfast and upgraded one of the rooms to a suite. We found her very upbeat and by the end she made a bad situation into a great laugh for everyone. Staff was extremely friendly and the shuttle took us around to where we needed to go. Clean rooms and great breakfast. I would recommend staying here to anyone coming down for the game.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for being so understanding and for the kind feedback in regard to Dee Dee and the rest of the staff. We had several rooms within another group that decided to stay over an extra day causing us to have less double bedded rooms than expected. Your understanding and fun spirit at our desk was refreshing and we thank you for that. Hope to have you back again and Go Browns!

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We spent 4 nights here as part of a conference. Our room was very nice, extremely clean and comfortable. As part of the conference, the hotel provided all the meals and they were excellent, not gourmet, but just about the best hotel food we've had. What makes this hotel excellent is the staff-------this place is very well managaed. The staff is extremely friendly and responsive. We would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank Wildycat
Reviewed October 23, 2012

There was nothing fancy about this hotel, but the staff was extremely friendly, the room was nice and clean, the bed was comfortable, and the shower had lots of water pressure. For the price, this is everything we hoped for.

Check-in was a breeze. As a matter of fact, we arrived extremely early and, although our room wasn't ready, we were able to leave our suitcases with the staff so we didn't have to worry about them in our car while we did some sight seeing. When we got back to the hotel, all we had to do was stop by the front desk to pick up our room key.

If we had wanted to, we could have walked to do our sight seeing, but we chose to drive to all of our destinations - everything was less than a ten minute drive with the exception of the art museum which was closer to twenty due to traffic. Also, I understand the hotel offers a shuttle service to tourist destinations, but we never tried this out.

I rated the hotel four out of five simply because some basic amenities were missing that we more or less expect with every hotel now such as fresh coffee available in the lobby 24/7 and a simple continental breakfast included with the price of the room.

Also, keep in mind that if you want a 'downtown experience' of being on a street with lots of eateries, etc., you won't like this hotel. But for us, it completely met our needs.

We'll definitely stay here again the next time we're in Cleveland.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor, even number room - less street noise and a view of Progressive Field and som...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suslew
HGIClevelandDntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to type up a review on how your stay with us was. We are pleased you had an enjoyable time and hope to have you back again. Our apologizes if we did not have coffee out at the time you wanted some. Typically we do offer coffee in our lobby, sorry about that. Thank you for choosing to stay with us!

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Nothing fancy about this hotel, you get what you pay for.

Check-in was weird. Got there around 12h30, it took them 20 minutes to get to me, retrieve my reservation, get my credit card info and the make/model of the car, before finally telling me the room isn't ready. Maybe they should have started with that !! We went to the hockey game and the Rock&Roll HOF and the room was ready when we got back.

It was raining when we went out to dinner saturday night so we asked the front desk to call us a cab. instead he called the hotel shuttle and it picked us up in less than 5 minutes. a nice touch...

The location is good. We walked to the Arena, and to East 4th St. Even walked to Browns Stadium on game day.

Wi-fi was working great. The tv remote wasn't, we left a note to the maid and it was working when we got back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends