New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown

Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Good location, Good price, Good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

This is my first visit to this hotel in Cleveland. I had previously stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel at Cleveland Clinic and the Ritz-Carlton downtown.
This hotel compares favorably with these hotels and for much less money.

This hotel is located almost within a Jim Thome Home Run from Progressive Field, home of the Cleveland Indians.
It is about 3/4 mile from the Horseshoe Casino downtown and also about 3/4 mile from Cleveland State University (CSU), so it's convenient if you have business or a conference at CSU, like I did. They have a free shuttle that will drive you to the downtown Casino and to CSU.

The hotel lobby and public areas are nicely and smartly appointed and made me feel that they were making a strong effort to look fresh and new.
They have a nice indoor pool and a small but serviceable workout room with a couple of treadmills machines and one universal weight machine.

There is nice breakfast buffet daily. It's a nice complimentary perk for Gold and higher Hilton Honors members.
The room was clean and nicely appointed.
Very comfortable bed and pillows. Very conducive to a good night's sleep.
A nice desk and chair with enough outlets to charge your electronic stuff.
Flat-screen HDTV with HBO available. Also, had a small fridge and microwave, so you can take back those restaurant left-overs or store drinks and other sundries.
I would have liked a room safe, however.

They have a small 24-hour pantry in the lobby with microwaveable frozen entrees and other snacks and beverages.

I'd be remiss for not mentioning the hotel staff.
The front desk personnel were unfailingly pleasant and helpful; I felt that they made sure that I felt welcome at their hotel and that if I needed any services that I could feel confident that things would be taken care of. There were no concerns that arose during my 3-day stay here.

I would recommend this hotel highly for it's proximity to the baseball stadium, CSU, and about a slightly more a mile from the Playhouse district. Normally can get discounted pricing placing the room charges to $90-!00 range, making this hotel a very good bargain for a downtown hotel in any city, but especially in Cleveland which has a lot to offer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank cincydoc2011
HGIClevelandDntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Thank you for the very detailed and thorough review. You certainly touched on all aspects of your stay with us and we appreciate that. Hope to have you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Washington DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I'll start with the good part: the bed. It was very comfortable. So that's good.
But I was staying at the hotel because I was attending a wedding that chose to block rooms at that particular hotel because the hotel promised that the bar would stay open late so the wedding guests could continue to celebrate. But, when I got back to the hotel the bar was closed. If they didn't get that promise, they would have went with a different hotel so it was a pretty big deal.

Also, we never got a visit from housekeeping even though we were gone all afternoon/evening and had no doortag saying to skip us. Boo.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
HGIClevelandDntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
We certainly appreciate you taking the time to write a review and to give us your feedback. Our guests feedback is very important to us since we can use it to analyze and correct any possible negative issues and reinforce what is good. The team at HGI is quite proud of the consistent and excellent customer service they provide and those issues you encountered are certainly not the norm for us. Please accept our apologizes and know we have passed your comments on to the appropriate department heads.
Granger, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stayed here in early June of '12, for an Indians game. The location, for a Tribe game, is simply perfect. Located a block from the stadium. Walk is quick and safe. Wouldn't recommend the location for events much further away, though. Small bar, which opens at 5, perfect for a quick drink, pre or post game. Parking is good (self parked), although outdoors. Lot is patrolled. Rooms were typical for the brand, although in very good shape. Public spaces were nice, staff was efficient and helpful. Tiny pool, nice treadmills in workout room. Price was much better than the surrounding hotels, for both room and parking. Considering we were just looking for overnight lodging, this was far and away the best choice. Only reason it's not ranked a 5, is that I save that for more upscale lodging. In addition, the bed isn't very good. Won't hesitate to revisit.

Room Tip: If you get a room that faces the street, you get a nice view of the ballpark.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mike B
HGIClevelandDntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
With more than 3 months left in the MLB season our hotel is perfectly located for anyone to catch a Cleveland Indians game. We are conveniently located directly across the street from Progressive Field. Literally a baseball throw from our front doors to the stadium grounds. We also offer package rates such as the 50 Paces to the Bases which includes parking and our all you can eat breakfast buffet. So thank you for the kind review and hope to have you back for more up coming games!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

The Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown is the ideal part of town to stay in when visiting Cleveland. The location is literally right across the street from Progressive Field which just so happens to be an enjoyable stadium to catch a Indians game. There is a bit of distance between the hotel and The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but the hotel provides a shuttle service to this popular tourist destination among other locations in the area.
As far as the accommodations go, the rooms are plenty spacious, clean and well stocked with all necessary items for your stay. There is a dining area which features a breakfast buffet which is superb, the lounge area is also very nice to relax in for a few minutes in between sight seeing. I especially liked that there was a nice water set up directly across from the front desk and had a large ice water cooler with lemon and lime for patrons passing through the lobby. Coffee and tea were also available complimentary throughout the day. Parking was very convenient and the $16 nightly charge with unlimited in and out service was reasonable. The property also includes a pool area with a Jacuzzi which is worth stepping in to relax if time permits. There is a small but very well equipped business center with two computers, printers, fax/copy machine and a variety of stationary items for guest needs. The fitness center is basically a walk in closet with two treadmills, a couple of cardio machines and some medicine balls, not at all useful for a vigorous workout by any means. The attached bar is called Harvey's and is unclear whether or not it is an actual part of the hotel or a stand alone bar, but nevertheless is a really enjoyable place to grab a drink. Unfortunately Harvey's does not open until 5pm, so an afternoon drink is out of the question, but its more enjoyable in the evening anyway. The staff is very attentive to guest needs and seems to be available at all times.
Overall I would certainly recommend this property to anyone looking to visit Cleveland. It's location and high quality make it ideal for any traveler. I had a positive experience during my visit and I don't plan to visit Cleveland again but if I were going to I would not seek other accommodations I would much rather repeat at The Hilton Garden Inn.

Room Tip: I was under the impression that I would be in a room that had one king sized bed, I instead was plac...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank amlaped986
HGIClevelandDntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thank you so much for taking time out of your daily schedule to write such a detailed review on your stay with us. We appreciate the feedback and thank you for staying with us. Come back to Cleveland soon - take care.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights and enjoyed my stay. The staff were very friendly and the hotel was in a great location and close to restaurants and shopping. The only downside would be that there is a fee for parking which I was told when I reserved was free. No worries though. The room was clean and my time there was very enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Duane K
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I stayed here for two nights in May of 2012 for business at one of the nearby hospitals.

This Garden Inn is located in the southern edges of donwtown Cleveland right across the street from Progressive Field. Overall, the experience I had was quite good. Lobby staff were very friendly. Room service was very good and prompt. Wifi signal in my room was excellent, and the additional plus was that it was free. The room itself I stayed in was very satisfactory and I enjoyed the bed with the personal comfort setting (i.e. where you can control how stiff or soft it is).

A big plus goes to whoever is managing and staffing the breakfast buffet. The items themselves were fairly standard, but the service was excellent. They had coffee and drinks available for self-serve, and all the items were delicious. Very efficiently run with host staff waiting to seat people when I arrived.

Please note that the hotel itself is on the outskirts of downtown, a bit of a walk, though not far. Probably a 15 minute walk to the heart of downtown.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank TLAM99
HGIClevelandDntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
We are glad to hear of your good experience while staying with us especially where you were able to use our complimentary WIFI and our Garden Sleep System beds. Please know we do offer complimentary shuttle service Monday through Saturday which encompasses the downtown Cleveland area. Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review.
Fort Wayne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

There was a leather appreciation convention going on when we stayed there so there were some strange looking men walking around but everyone was very nice and we never heard ANYONE in the hallways outside the room. I have a germ problem and everything was clean to my satisfaction. The only down side was that you have to pay $16 to park in their lot which I found completely absurd! It was a nice walk from the hotel to the Playhouse Square where we were seeing a comedian. Overall, great stay!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kelly R
HGIClevelandDntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Thank you for writing a review on your stay with us. Our housekeeping staff prides themselves on having the cleanest rooms in town and your great feedback will certainly be passed on to them. I know our parking fee may seem steep but our hotel actually has 1 of the lowest hotel parking charges in the downtown area. We also have our own lot which most downtown hotels do not. If you visit us again look at one of our package rates which includes parking. With a package you'll certainly save $$$! Thank you again and hope to have you back again soon.