“A cold stay, and I'm not talking just about room temperature”

DoubleTree by Hilton The Tudor Arms Hotel
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I spent a miserable two nights in this seemingly nice hotel. I arrived on a snowy night to this hotel (which is in a terrible area of town by the way). The hotel does offer an off street curb for unloading your bags. However, this area was not shoveled or plowed by any means. It was filled with 2 inches of black slush. I was informed that there was valet or self parking available (both very expensive). Being a horrible night, I opted for valet parking.

After a quick check-in, I headed up to my room. The lobby area is small and under construction. I went up to my room and quickly noticed how cold it was in the hotel. In addition, the hotel is a refinished older building. Poorly refinished at that. When I arrived in my room I noticed it was maybe 60 degrees while the thermostat was set to 86. I called down to the front desk, but nobody every came up. The fortunately clean room was small and lacked any decent sitting area minus an uncomfortable desk chair. The bathroom and shower were strange. The shower does not have a door. This results in a hot shower feeling with a weird mix of the cold air from the room blowing in. Not to mention water and condensation gets all over your hotel room.

The next morning I told the front desk again that the room was still really cold. They wrote my room number down. When I picked up my car from the valet it was not even cleaned off. The off -street pull off area was still not shoveled or plowed. The inside of my car was covered in salt and water from the careless valets. I expected the floor mats to be dirty, but not the door panel, steering wheel, and center console.

I returned to the hotel that night and the off-street curb area was STILL not shoveled or plowed. I had dinner at the surprisingly decent hotel restaurant. After returning to my room, I noticed that it was still maybe 60-65 degrees despite the thermostat being set to 86 all day.

Because of the cold in the room I used the iron as a space heater to keep things reasonable.

I would NEVER stay here again. Despite the room being clean and having a decent restaurant, the cold room and outrageous parking situation make this an easy decision.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank boxofwyn
Stephen P, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton The Tudor Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your stay with us. We continually try to do our very best for all of our guests, but unfortunately, sometimes we do fail.
I will look into each issue that you have noted, in an attempt to correct and improve our hotel policies.
I would invite you to contact me personally at steven.pittman@hilton.com

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is a restored building minutes from Cleveland Clinic and Case Western Reserve University. The architecture is gorgeous and the rooms are very comfortable. There is not much parking, so valet is needed. The breakfast was very good but pricey. We have stayed here 3 times now and had excellent service each time!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank travelmom200612
Stephen P, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton The Tudor Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Our Tudor Arms team appreciates your glowing review on our hotel and staff. But more importantly we are glad you and your family enjoyed your experience with us. Our goal is to build lifelong relationships with are guest. Hope to see you on your next visit to cleveland.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

You can't ask for a more convenient Hotel than this Double Tree near both the Cleveland Clinic and Case Western Reserve University. The parking is extra at $16 for self park or $19 for valet. All of the staff people we dealt with were very friendly and accommodating. The hotel is a renovated older hotel and I always like reuse of old buildings as opposed to the new cookie cutter models. Our room was very large, and the furnishings were pretty cool. The only complaint I would have was the shower pressure was really bad. I don't know if that was just my room, the time of day or a standard problem. In any event, this is a pretty interesting place that is pretty well run.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton the Tudor Arms Hotel on Trip Advisor. We are so humbled by your comments regarding our service staff and the quality of our rooms. We can’t wait to welcome you back.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We went to an event at this hotel and decided to stay the night. The banquet room was amazing and the staff there did a great job. The room we stayed in was beautiful as well and very comfortable. My only complaint was we were supposed to receive free valet with the event we were attending but were told that doesn't count if we stay the night so were charged $20 to pay which I think is absurd..we are giving you MORE business by staying overnight so you charge us more. And the staff at the counter gave us a bit of attitude about it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were unhappy with some of the valet charges you encountered during the event you attended at our hotel. I apologize if the charges were not clear. Your feedback is incredibly important to us and I can assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration to improve our hotel. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We came in for a wedding and decided to upgrade to a junior suite which worked out great. The upgrade was only cost a little more and gave us a whole extra room and since we had a baby that was ideal. They also had shuttles going to the local attractions and the wedding reception was at the Museum of Natural History so we had that available and didn't have to hail taxis. Without the shuttle and if you didn't drive, you are at a taxi service's beck and call. The unique thing was all the rooms were a little different in size and offering - it definitely isn't cookie cutter. They were also clean which was key. The staff was accommodating and we had our share of problems in the 2 day stay. Our toilet overflowed and it took a while for them to take care of it. They sent a guy up and he looked at it, then went to get a towel to clean up, then got a bucket to clean after that. Why didn't he just bring it up to begin with? The food was expensive, the bar closed EARLY, and they charge for parking. The bed room of the suite was freezing (we stayed the end of December), however they did bring us up a fireplace heater which was perfect. Other guests were saying their rooms were cold as well. Overall, it wasn't stellar but it was fine for the occasion.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

We certainly appreciate you taking the time to fill out a review and to give us your feedback. Our guest’s feedback is very important to us since we can use it to analyze and correct any possible negative issues and reinforce what is good. The team at Tudor Arms hotel is quite proud of the consistent and excellent customer service they provide and those issues you encountered with the HVAC unit are certainly being address. Our goal is to build life long relationships with our guest. Please accept our apology and know we have passed your comments on to the appropriate department heads.

Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Very nice historic hotel in an out of the way location. The old building is beautiful and the modern decor is an interesting departure from the mundane. Smallish room was beautiful, comfortable and nicely appointed. The staff was nice and accommodating but not solicitous. This was our first time in Cleveland, so at first the location seemed to be very isolated and removed from downtown, but we soon learned that it is very easy to get downtown and very close to Little Italy and Cleveland Heights, both fantastic neighborhoods. Lawrence recommended a great restaurant in Little Italy for dinner and printed out clear directions for us.

The only issue I had was with the entrance to the hotel. There are a lot of steps to get into the lobby area and the nondescript doors inside the main entrance were not very welcoming and were confusing ("is this the entrance? Where is the front desk?")

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Powellw1

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton the Tudor Arms Hotel on Trip Advisor. We are so humbled by your comments regarding our service staff and the quality of our rooms. we our working on addressing the front entrance. We can’t wait to welcome you back.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

The Tudor Arms is a fine, albeit slightly odd, property. The updated rooms are clean and modern and the staff is polite enough. The big problem, however, is its isolated location. There's nothing nearby so if you don't have a car, there's no reason to stay here, since parts of the area around the hotel are dicey and you shouldn't be walking around there at any hour of the day.

We had some tasty middle eastern food from the hotel restaurant but its hours are limited (it closes by 11pm) so think hard before you stay here without a car. There is a free shuttle but it's not always ready to go when you are and its hours are limited.

Limited: that's a good word to describe this place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Stephen P, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton The Tudor Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay with us at Tudor Arms Hotel by Doubletree. We’re glad you enjoyed our hotel and found our staff to be friendly. I want to assure you our hotel is in the very safe and secure University Circle neighborhood. Our Hotel is ideally located within minutes of many University Circle area cultural institutions like the world famous Little Italy Neighborhood. Within a 3 minute shuttle ride you can spend an interesting day at Severance Hall, The Cleveland Museum of Art and the Natural History Museum or take a relaxing stroll through the beautiful Cleveland Botanical Gardens. On behalf of all of us at Doubletree by Hilton the Tudor Arms Hotel, we thank you.