“Historic Hotel with Modern Amenities” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton The Tudor Arms Hotel

DoubleTree by Hilton The Tudor Arms Hotel
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Clarksville, Tennessee
“Historic Hotel with Modern Amenities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

This historic hotel is the former City Club for the likes of Rockefeller and Carnegie. It has very modern furnishings and artwork while preserving the historic details of the building. It was very comfortable and convenient. The staff had a proactive, positive, cheerful attitude. All of them! The shuttle took us anywhere within a 2 mile radius so we were able to easliy get the museums and picked up again. The Cleveland Clinic, the Universities and the RTA are all within easy reach. We had a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: They still allow smoking rooms so be sure to request non smoking if you want it.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Terry S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Columbus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Had a very nice stay at the Doubletree Tudor Arms this Memorial Day weekend. Love, love, love that they used an old building rather than put up something character-free and bland. There's still some polish to add, and some of the decor mixes modern and Tudor a tad unsuccessfully, but still. Plaster walls, wood-carved panels, giant old chandeliers, and wide open spaces make for an elegant, old-world feel. Comfortable, actually, too. My kids -- 6 & 9 -- loved running around the ballrooms and balconies. We had them to ourselves!

Our suite was huge. The living room was so spacious that two chairs, a bit sofa, plus a built-in t.v. stand were rather dwarfed by the space. Seemed a bit unfinished, but great for the kids to twirl around. Our Double-Tree bed in a giant bedroom was fabulous. We had an entire wall of big windows, and all four of us curled up on the bed and read while we looked up to daydream and enjoy the 9th floor view from time to time. We had hardwood floors--lovely, actually--which was great for the most allergic family in America. Doesn't dampen much sound, though. But still, liked it a lot.

The staff was unfailingly cheerful, helpful, and friendly. We have well-travelled cheerful kids, who aren't unruly, but who do ask a lot of questions and press a lot of elevator buttons. Staff was fabulous with them. Check in was easy. Valet service was speedy (but pricy. Really? $17/night?) and friendly-ish. Seems like the hotel still has to grow into itself a bit but all in all the staff really puts their best face forward and makes you feel welcome.

On to the crazy room designers these days, who apparently don't stay in the rooms they design. If you're going to go to the trouble of a fantastic, detailed renovation, how about sound-proof windows? I mean, the hotel is right in the middle of University Hospitals and the Cleveland Clinic. Can you say "ambulance at 3am?" Particularly in a room without any carpeting, sound proofing, or at least sound-dampening would have been wise. The glass panel in the shower in lieu of a shower door? Looks GREAT before you use the shower. Once you've used the shower, though, and the water is all over the floor because it only covers like half the spray area and there's soap crud on the glass? Well, hmmmm....Not so functional. The rolling panelled door on the bathroom? REALLY? People like privacy in the bathroom, not a door that your kids flap back and forth. The roller stuck; and water and soap it the door anyway thanks to that weird shower glass panel. Here's another thing about a rolling door. You can't hang anything on it! Four people in one bathroom with one small towel rack and four wet towels. Sigh. Just dumb.

I'd stay here again, absolutely, though. Would be nice to be able to walk to coffee or food, but Cleveland Heights is a hop, skip, and a jump away. It's a 10-15 minute walk to University Circle. I quibble, though. For the friendly staff, the giant rooms, the ballrooms, and gorgeous renovation it's worth a bit of water on the bathroom floor.

Room Tip: One bedroom suite (908) HUGE with great views
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Furcow
Berea, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

I have to say, the staff was absolutely wonderful. At one point, they had all the shuttles going to take a swarm of guests downtown and just couldn't keep up so the night manager drove us in his own personal car to make sure we made it for our dinner reservation. That is dedication!! What a wonderful team the doubletree has, they should be proud.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Harlow324
On The Road
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

OK, before I say anything about the hotel - I first have to comment on parking. I HATE.... and I mean HATE Valet parking. I travel a lot for work, and once I get situated in a car I don't like to worry about hiding things, taking things out, moving things around, and worrying about what I might need to get out of my car that would require me to ask for my car, just to get something small out of it (like a phone charger). I like to have access to my car - I don't like it to be driven off to some unknown location - and YES, I realize the valet parking is right next to the hotel... but I don't like the feeling of handing over keys. That being said, I may not have stayed at this hotel if I had known that valet was the only option offered through the hotel.

That being said, I DID find that it was fairly simple and reasonably convenient to park in the Cleveland Clinic parking garage that is in the next block (total of a 2 block walk due to where the hotel is situated, and the where the exit of the garage is situated - I think it was either $8.00 - $10.00 a night for parking there.) Was it a pain in the rear to walk... no, until the day I checked out when there were winds that rivaled a video clip from the weather channel of hurricane footage. I'm not lying, I saw the wind rip a flag right off of the pole! I could barely cross the street, it was insane! I have renamed the city Clevewind. Clever... I know ;)

Now on to the hotel - WOW - what a beautiful property! When I was checking the hotel out online prior to arrival I looked at the Google Maps Street-view. REALLY? This place was a total dump that very easily could have fallen to the fate of the wrecking ball in our 'tear it down and build a new one' society in the US. BUT once again WOW - Thank goodness the developer saw the grand beauty that is the Tudor Arms Hotel and saved such a treasure and preserved it for generations to come! The hotel, especially the ballrooms and banquet space is absolutely one of a kind.

The lobby is nice, not 'incredible' - but it is beautiful. The front desk really should have been situated differently in the lobby - it really disrupts the flow of traffic through the lobby to have the front desk 'kiosks' in the middle of the floor in the entry, BUT to have access to a rear office, I understand why it was situated the way it was.

Check in was simple, but the front desk staff needs to learn to ignore a phone call to handle a human being in front of them. A guest in front of you is more important than an unknown need on the phone - simple rule of customer service that is violated all too easily. Instead of making me wait 15 minutes to check in....... silence the phone, or redirect the call with the press of a button - don't make a person stand in front of you, and watch you take care of someone else over the phone - it is very rude.

Next - the elevators are ancient, so they take a few minutes longer than newer - but in light of the historic nature of the property, it comes with the territory.

The hallways are bright and well lit - very nice color scheme, and they are kept very tidy.

The walls in the hotel are a little thin - so noise travels easily between rooms.

The rooms are very energy efficient in some aspects, but definitely not in other (like the single pane of glass in the windows). There is a switch to power down the entire room, and a switch to provide enough light to make entry into the room comfortable and provide a sense of safety.

The floors are beautiful, while not original, they are traditional yet trendy. You don't find many hotels with hardwood floors!

The decor is both traditional in a sense, but very modern, sleek, and contemporary in another sense. Beautiful throughout!

The bathrooms are interesting, the door is a sliding door - it does have a latch to somewhat lock it - but the lock doesn't function very well, as most sliding door locks do not work well. The bathroom is very small - one person only. There IS NOT a ventilation fan in the bathroom - and as you may well know, a vent fan serves two functions.... it pulls smells out, and pulls moisture out... so the rooms gets extremely humid after a shower, especially since there is not a door on the shower, it is just a glass wall. When you get out of the shower there is so much condensation on the mirror, and the exterior windows that the hotel is going to deal with a serious mold issue in just a few years. With condensation like I saw on the inside of the exterior windows the window sills are going to rot quickly! The bathroom is beautiful, and the shower tile is very elegant natural stone.

The bed was extremely comfortable, but the hvac system is one of the interior mount high wall micro units - the way the air moved in the room there was a constant breeze on the bed. For some that may be a great thing, for other it will keep them up all night. I know I woke up with a headache and stuffy nose.

Due to being a HHonors member I received vouchers for free breakfast which was a full buffet - and I must compliment the culinary staff at this hotel - I travel very frequently for work, so I have a lot of 'free' breakfast experiences and this, by and large, is the absolute best breakfast I have ever had at a hotel. Everything that was supposed to be hot was hot, everything that was supposed to be cold was perfectly chilled. I didn't care for the coffee, but I am not a true coffee snob - I don't like Starbucks and similar coffee as I find it too acidic and bitter. Anyway - everything else was perfect.

If you are looking to hold an event at the hotel in one of the ballrooms, DO IT. The ballrooms are by far among the most beautiful I have ever seen. This building must have been a true high society gather place in the heyday of this area of Cleveland. From the carved wood, to the masterful plaster work, to the leaded windows - it is all exquisite! If you listen carefully, the echoes of the likes of the Glenn Miller Orchestra and his contemporaries still ring throughout the space (OK, I am a bit of a dreamer)

The hotel is beautiful, and is an exceptional value. It has all the style, grace and charm of an old building - but has been decorated with some updated very contemporary art and fixtures. I find the fusion of the two styles very appealing.

I would have ranked this hotel as a 5 were it not for the parking situation, and the less than warm greeting at the front desk upon check in. Minor issues overall, but issues none-the-less.

Room Tip: As to be on the back of the hotel if you are a light sleeper - the front of the hotel faces a very b...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

~Easy to find
~Friendly staff
~Great food
~Beautiful and comfortable rooms

What we did not like about this property:

~We requested an early check-in, and then I called to ensure we could get in early (check-in is at 4p; we scheduled a check-in for 2p). We arrived at 230-245p and the room was not ready. We ended up waiting until 330-345p before we could get into the room. The staff apologized and gave us two extra cookies, but because we requested an early check-in and called to verify it, the room should have been ready to go when we arrived

~We requested extra pillows and towels (again, we called the hotel to confirm this), but we did not receive any of our requests upon arrival. That being said, we determined we did not need them after getting to our room. However, if a request is made, I think it is important for the hotel staff to honor the request.

~The HiltonHHonors Web site (at this time) lists 'In-room movie Channel' under suite amenities. Imagine our surprise when we checked in to the hotel and were ready to relax and get a movie, to find that there wasn't an in-room movie channel. We called the front desk and were told that they did not have a movie channel even though the Web site stated it did. They did have several channels, including HBO, but HBO was playing Harry Potter that night (we are not Harry Potter fans....no offense to anyone who is...it just isn't our genre). We were extremely disappointed by this turn of events. My husband and I look forward to relaxing in our room, catching up on movies, and ordering room service, so this truly was disappointing. I have contacted Hilton to inform them of this issue (listing a service on the Web site that isn't actually offered at the hotel). So, if you are someone who likes to watch movies when traveling, this is not the hotel for you. I would advise that you call them first to verify whether or not they have added the in-room movie channel before booking.

Besides those three issues, the property is definitely beautiful; no doubt about it. If the in-room movie channel is not important to you, then you would probably be very pleased with this hotel. Just be sure to confirm with the staff if you have any special requests as they seem to have difficulty following through with requests.

Room Tip: Request a King Suite. It is well worth the price for the extra space!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chops1971
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

From a distance, The Tudor Arms hotel is a striking, tall brick building, clearly more than a few decades old. I was excited to see what it was like inside; I’ve seen some fabulous old hotels that have undergone very successful renovations / modernizations.

Unfortunately, I found that the interior décor of the lobby seemed somewhat jarring to the senses, an unhappy fusion of old & new. The modern furnishings, the glass computer tables, the light display on the front of the check-in desks (yes, multiple desks…) seemed to clash with the beautiful wood-panelled walls. The elevator to the street had an irritating, loud buzzing sound to announce its arrival. I really wish The Tudor Arms would have taken a cue from The Arctic Club Seattle, which successfully renovated an old building, keeping a consistent feel while modernizing at the same time.

Luckily, the rooms are much more harmonious and aesthetically pleasing. Hardwood floors, an electric fireplace, catchy modern art, a ergonomic work area and a plush bed made for a cozy, comfortable stay. The bathroom was especially tasteful, though small, with an ultra-modern sink and walk-in shower. Its sliding door allowed privacy, yet didn’t form an airtight seal, which is good for circulating out humid air.

This particular AC unit was a first of its kind for me (in a hotel room), mounted on an interior wall near the ceiling. It had some neat whizz-bang options, like an oscillating fan motion. Once I figured out the right setting – one that didn’t involve air blowing directly on me while I was trying to sleep – it was excellent, and so much better than typical “window units”.

Front desk staff were excellent at check-in and check-out (both times); and valet parking was prompt & efficient. Whoever attempted to take my room service order, on the other hand, was inept and unprofessional, entirely lacking in knowledge of the food & drink available. I was placed “on hold” (really “hand-over-the-mouthpiece”) for several minutes, while I could hear her laughing & horsing around with her colleagues. I learned my lesson, and brought my food with me during my second stay.

Breakfast (on the second floor), on the other hand, was delicious and the service was excellent.
The Internet connection was intermittent at best; it couldn’t even sustain a Skype call, its bandwith was so poor.

Overall, I’d return for the service and the rooms, but only if I didn’t have a pressing need to use the Internet connection in the evenings. I’d chalk my room service experience up to a bad day (or a bad apple?); but, I’d probably still go out or bring food back rather than risk it again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank efission
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Just spend 5 days at the Cleveland Clinic. The Intercontinental hotels were out of our budget and I was afraid of the reviews from the Guest House Hotel. I found this Double Tree online and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel had a great style to it. It felt pretty fancy and was across the street from the CCF Campus. Depending on which CCF building you are visiting, you might be within walking distance. But most days we made the short drive.

As for the hotel...The rooms were a bit small, but I expected that from an older building. They did, however, make the most of the space. Everything was very clean and current. The only bad thing I could say about the hotel is they only offer valet parking. Some see that as a luxury. For me, it is not. I would rather park myself. But that wasn't a big deal.

The hotel offered special rates for CCF patients, so be sure to ask about that. All and all, it was a great alternative to the CCF hotels.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business