“Family-friendly fine dining”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We recently celebrated a family event at Il Bacio, and are very pleased that we chose this restaurant. They stayed open late for us on a Sunday night, and the food was delicious and portions were generous. Veal chop, whole branzino and gnocchi with oxtails were as good as anything I had in Rome the week before. Definitely a cut above some of the American-style "Italian" spaghetti restaurants in Little Italy. Prices were in line with the quality of the food, wine list has some nice choices. It is a small family-run place with professional service and delicious food. What more could you ask for?

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Dinner at Il Bacio was a first-time-to-Little-Italy for hubby and me. He picked the place for our 26th anniv. based on reviews & we found it to be a small, quaint little spot. Alrighty, let me hit the negative first. My husband returned his dinner. Wow. That has never, ever happened before. (did I mention 26 years?) He ordered the walleye which was too full of bones for him to put up with. He tried every angle/side & there just were no bone-free bites. To be fair before reviewing, I researched to see if walleye is particularly difficult to fillet. Apparently, pin bones (secondary ribs) are an issue especially in older/larger fish, but the bottom line as stated by an online chef, "Ever since I got into this gig I've been cutting the pin bones out of my walleye's whether it be a 3oz filet or a 14oz filet. Sure it comes to the table with a strip removed, but I'd rather my guest didn't have to bother with it in their teeth. Bottomline it's about the experience." Okaaay. With that elephant in the room, I continue... The essence of Il Baccio from the youthful valet to the host who asks YOU where you want to sit, to the oh-so-apologetic owner is a sense of comfort. Not a stiff-necked "Let me give you a superb experience", but "Hey! Sit down. Enjoy the food. Come back." I sense that were I to frequent Little Italy a lot, I would develop a report here. I could picture a twenty-something college guy successfully playing the part of Antonio's best client, strutting in & choosing his seat like he's family all to impress his date. Sadly, I was prepped for the stiff-necked, white tablecloth perfection experience. Our bill for house wine, eggplant appetizer and 2 entrees was $81 before tip. The walleye was replaced, the bill was adjusted (to charge for the replacement). We were given a complimentary dessert to share for our special occasion. The owner was absolutely wonderful about the error. I kinda felt like hugging him for his kindness as we departed - he was that friendly. But in the end... I think the chef/fishmonger's error combined with priced-as-fine-dining with a casual experience will keep us from returning. I'm just so pained to post this. The people were really, really nice & I want this place to do well; I just can't justify rating higher.

1  Thank A B
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I went there not expecting much but was I in for a big surprise. Ambience, food, service was superb!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We travel quite a bit (at least two weeks out of every month) and are a huge fan of selecting local restaurants to support instead of chains. Because our arrival time was delayed, I had to select a place to eat that would be open until 10. I called IL Bacio at 7:30 EST on Sunday to check what their closing time was for the day and was told 10. Needless to say, when I arrived before 9:30, I was completely surprised when they informed me and my stepson that they were closed for the day.

After getting into my car, I called back and spoke to the same person I did previously. I expressed my disappointment that I was giving inaccurate information and she told me that normally they close at 9:30, but because of the festival they were going to stay open until 10. Unfortunately their chef had left so they had to close at 9:30. She went on to tell me that had I had reservations, it would be a different story. At no time, when I called earlier, had she suggested that I make reservations. Had that been the case, I most definitely would have.

You only get one chance to make a first impression. There are plenty of restaurants in the area - and no shortage of Italian ones to choose from - and those other places will be getting my business.

2  Thank Kathy R
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in for dinner with a friend who recommended we give it a try and were not disappointed. We began with prosciutto/cheese antipasti and Caprese salad, all fresh and tasty. Pollo ai gamberetti was succulent and plentiful, and the gnocchi was flavorful and satisfying. We enjoyed the tiramisu and chocolate layer cake for dessert. The setting is cozy and the owner made us feel right at home. Great combination of atmosphere and cuisine in this Little Italy gem!