“Service? What service?”

Encore at the Wyndham Playhouse Square
Ranked #650 of 1,854 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Encore and Blue Bar are located inside the Wyndham Cleveland at PlayhouseSquare. We offer Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Our proximity to the theater district make us a great spot for pre-theater dining. Our all you can eat lunch buffet is the the fastest and best lunch in the district. Blue Bar offers 1/2 price beverages and appetizers, Monday - Friday, 4:30pm-7:00pm.
Sharon Center, Ohio
“Service? What service?”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We had tickets to see Ron White at the State Theater and didn't remember to make reservations for dinner before the show so Encore was a last minute choice.

We were seated immediately at a table pushed against the wall with zero lighting. I nearly used the flashlight on my phone to look at the menu it was so dark. I figured that's what we got for waiting until the last minute to make a reservation. What we did not deserve was waiting ten minutes before a server showed up. The first thing she asked was if we were ready to order. My husband said, "How about a drink order first?". Another ten minutes before our drinks show up - we'd have to make them last because there would be no fresh drinks for the rest of the meal. Not once did she check ask how our meal was, offer to refill our drinks, nothing until she came to clear our plates. She obviously hadn't been serving meals very long - my guess is that they were short-handed and recruited someone from housekeeping to fill in.

The food could charitably be called mediocre, but under no circumstances was it worth an $83.00 check (would have been more if they had bothered to refill my wine glass a few times). The bruschetta appetizer looked and tasted suspiciously like a tiny French bread pizza. For entrees I had the pecan honey-crusted chicken and my husband had the veal strip loin. My chicken was more than a little on the dry side and the veal was requested rare and came to the table cooked medium.

They'll need to find competent staff and put in a lot more effort in the kitchen before they can call Encore fine dining, but I won't be back. Even good food cannot overcome bad service and this was NOT good food.

• Visited January 2014
John M, Manager at Encore at the Wyndham Playhouse Square, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Joanna,
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review!
We have hired a few new servers and are agressivly training to insure all of our customers receive a great experience. I am going to discuss quality with our Chef. We take great pride in the quality of our food.
Thank you again.

Cleveland, Ohio
“Nice place to go!”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Fine dining, and certainly fine dining prices....yes, it's pricey. However, the food is quite good! The service was fantastic, friendly, personable. The restaurant itself is very pretty, especially when we were there (decorated for Christmas....gorgeous).

The best part....we used the valet at the Wyndham and walked down to the theater...when we returned after the show, the valet had warmed up our cars! awesome.

The only negative is that was quite loud...difficult to comfortably converse.

• Visited December 2013
Wadsworth, Ohio
“Disappointed. Overpriced for what you get.........”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

My son and I went for dinner at the Encore when attending a concert at the Palace Theater in Playhouse Square. We hadn't really researched where to go beforehand and on Saturday night it isn't easy to find dinner on the fly. My husband and I had stopped here before so we thought to give it another shot. My son got the braised lamb shank and I got scallops. My meal was to come with fingerling potatoes and peas. I did not get a salad or soup prior to this for time purposes and because I thought this would do me through the program. Wow! Was I surprised. For $30 you get 3 medium size scallops, a piece of some cold shaved vegetable around each of the 3 scallops and something which I could not identify under the scallops. There were about 5 peas, maybe, hard to tell. That was it! I was appalled. I usually do not complain but I had to over this. Our waitress said she would tell the chef. She later came back and offered me a dessert. On hind sight, I should not have gotten that. I am not in the habit of having dessert anyway. I wanted what was listed on the menu but a pox on me. I took it. And not worth it either, I might add. Chocolate mousse. I have had similar on cruise ships and their desserts aren't much to write home about either. I doubt that I will be back. I will go back to Playhouse Square for the theater but will plan better for eats. By the way, the service was very good in spite of how busy the restaurant was and I feel I tipped appropriately for that.

• Visited December 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great lunch buffet”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We went on a Thursday, which has an Italian theme. The food was delicious - eggplant parmesan, chicken Marsala, zucchini, super Italian breadsticks (topped with cheese) and minestrone soup. All the items were excellent. There is also a pasta bar with lots of choices for toppings, and a good size salad bar. Everything tasted fresh.
There is a different lunch menu/theme every day of the week.
For $10 a person you can't beat this lunch buffet.

• Visited November 2013
Columbus, OH
“Reliable Good Fare, Excellent Service”
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Hats off to Dretta and Erin. These two excellent servers made breakfast and lunch welcome times of the day. The food here was quite good. The breakfast buffet had everything one would anticipate. Fruits were all very fresh. The bacon crisp, not burned, and not greasy. I wanted feta for my omelette, and even though it was not listed on the board, the omelette chef said she could make that happen; she did. I tried the blackened talapia for one lunch; it was excellent. Erin told me it is one of their most popular entrees. I would definitely order it again. Although I did not have an evening meal at the Encore, I did attend an evening cocktail event prepared by the staff. The risotto balls and the mini peroggis were great! Cheeses and fruits, again very fresh, made going out for dinner unnecessary.

Visited November 2013