“Don't miss this secret gem!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Encore at the Wyndham Playhouse Square
Ranked #730 of 1,832 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: American, Bar, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Encore and Blue Bar are located inside the Wyndham Cleveland at PlayhouseSquare. We offer Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Our proximity to the theater district make us a great spot for pre-theater dining. Our all you can eat lunch buffet is the the fastest and best lunch in the district. Blue Bar offers 1/2 price beverages and appetizers, Monday - Friday, 4:30pm-7:00pm.
Lorain, Ohio, United States
“Don't miss this secret gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

We visited this restaurant due to its proximity to Playhouse Square. It has a minimalist, modern decor. We were seated immediately and our server, Sherie, brought us our requested coffee. She diligently explained the menu and when we expressed curiosity about the Butternut Squash Bisque she smiled and said she'd be right back. Lo and behold she is back in a few minutes with a sample of the soup that totally sold us! The coffee was outstanding (and my husband is a coffee snob!). I had the flat iron steak and he had the New York Strip with green peppercorn glace. Mine came with broccolini, mushrooms and onions and whipped potatoes. The flat iron was delicately sliced and fanned over the broccolini and whipped potatoes. Yum! This chef truly understands what medium means! I need to digress here in that I started my dinner with the signature salad of greens, tomatoes and fresh mozzarella with a rosemary balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Lovely! I would have preferred a local goat cheese to the mozzarella but that is a personal preference. My husband's steak came served with a whipped squash puree and bacon sprinkled brussel sprouts. Truly a harvest delight! We finished with a mango mousse torte. Our server, Sherie, was totally tops in her field! Plates were whisked away and didn't sit, coffee magically re-appeared when cups dwindled....I cannot say enough about how delighted we were with this restaurant! We'll definitely be back to work our way through the menu! I absolutely LOVE this restaurant. Are there places closer to the theater? Yes but I doubt they could match the quality of service or of the food! Shawn Brozic is the chef and he personally came out to ensure that our dining experience was a pleasant one! People can hype the celebrity chefs in Cleveland but Shawn Brozic is definitely in the league to give them all a run for their money! Next time we're definitely trying the clam chowder! I'm already planning what I'm going to have on my next visit! ♥

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank Maryspring66

Newbury, Ohio
“Horrible rushed yet slow service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

We had tickets for the 7 pm showing of The Nutcracker. We made reservations at Encore at 5 to give us time for a relaxed meal. They sat us promptly but didn't come back to take our drink order for 10 minutes. There was alot of chaos in the room, rushing around, supervisor spouting orders to servers. Since the restaurant had just opened it was not yet full so we could hear the conversations between the staff. They were preparing a table for a party of 10 which seemed to have several servers frantic. It took 10 more minutes to get a glass of wine and a mixed drink, but the party of 10 already had bread on their table. Now we're nervous because we've sat for 20 min and there are only drinks on the table. The salads were underdressed and the croutons were stale. My husband ordered the 8oz steak med rare and I ordered the ravioli. 35 min later a server brings 2 fish entrees which of course we send back. By this time we could really use 2 more cocktails but all of the attention was being lavished on the party of 10 table who were now eating their entrees. We order more drinks and again 10 min before they arrive. Finally our entrees arrive. 1 star on plating, it looked sloppy. My husbands steak was rare instead of the requested med rare and I could've made the ravioli with frozen pasta and a jar of sauce at home. And finally..we get the bread. Without time constraints I normally wouldn't hesitate to send back an item I wasn't happy with and spoke to the manager regarding the service. We simply did not have time to send food back to the kitchen or wait for a manager given the delays we'd already experienced. Perhaps the restaurant should consider opening at 4 or 4:30 to make the dining experience more relaxed for those with 7pm show tickets? Very disappointing experience, will definately stay at The Wyndham again, but next time we'll go to an earlier show and explore Cleveland's other fine restaurants.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DeDe N
Lindale, Texas, United States
“Great food..convenient to the theater”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

After an afternoon at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame my husband and I were starving so we decided to eat at the hotel. Good choice! The clam chowder was outstanding. I had the cashew encrusted salmon..very good! Prices are a little steep but we were happy with the quality of the meal.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Judy K
Huntington, West Virginia
“Super”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Marta was our server and was very helpful and extremely nice. Great food and experience. My wife and I just wanted a late night snack and we were treated terrific. Loved the Clam Chowder.

• Visited July 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
“Fantastic Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

Server Marta was extremely nice and courteous and served me and my family fantastic food. I had the New York Strip steak and it was as delicious as could be.

• Visited June 2012