“Out of towner must taste!”
Review of Happy Dog

Happy Dog
Ranked #42 of 1,840 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Happy Dog is a neighborhood corner bar in the best sense of the term. We've got hot dogs and beer, and lots of live music, from rock and country to punk and polka. The bartenders are friendly and the bar itself is open and inviting - a racetrack oval wood bar, with plenty of old chrome barstools.
Crown Point, Indiana
“Out of towner must taste!”
Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

I was in town for business and my good friend suggested I try this place. It looks rough on the outside and like an old bar from the 70's. But they do say you can't judge a book by it's cover. We sat at the bar and was handed a pad to make our selection. Staff was friendly! The paper had a list of toppings to choose. As many as you want and included. There was a small fee for a couple of items. They also had fries or tater tots. To eat a hot dog with peanut butter, spaghetti o's, Andy capp hot fries, baked beans and a fried egg is unheard of until you visit this place! They also have live music at night and a couple of pinball machines which of course I could not refuse! You will not be disappointed.

Cleveland, Ohio
“Practice makes perfect”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I have been visiting Happy Dog for three years now and every time its a better experience. The problem for me at first was that there are so many choices that I couldn't come to a complementary topping decision since everything on their menu jumps out to me. After some practice, I am more apt to make good choices. I prefer their fries to their tots (the tots taste like frozen tots, so I'd rather go with frozen fries) - but a few things that still disappoint me - I wish the hot dogs were grilled and that when you order "cheddar cheese" on something it should be melted, not slopped on top served cold. Love that they have Carlsberg on TAP! Ambiance is fun :)

1 Thank laurney13
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
“Happy Customers Here”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This place was on our list of 'Have to try' places for our visit to Cleveland. We decided on visiting for lunch to give us fuel for our busy tourist day ahead. The place was exactly what I was hoping to find. A hole in the wall with a very laid back atmosphere. I love the older run down bars that still keep everything from service to food to entertainment top notch.

Being our first time visiting, the waitress explained the menu, though not much to explain and we were left alone to look everything over. The choices of toppings is amazingly large and all over the map. I'm not overly adventurous, so I made the BEST chili and cheese dog I have ever had. My fiancée was a little more courageous and went with a Thai meets Greek style of dog and loved it. The buns are normal size and leave lots of room for toppings. Really enjoyed not feeling like I was eating a loaf of bread with toppings.

We both got an order of tots each to go with our dogs and I have to say being able to pick as many dipping sauces as you like is a great idea. We picked 6 selections and it was fun seeing who made the better choices...I won that one.

The beer menu is extensive as well and was overwhelming for me as I really never know which to pick. The waitress made a suggestion based on what I told her I liked and her selection was perfect. The pricing on the menu was varied as well which was nice as it allowed us to stay within our budget for the day. We will certainly be back when we are in the area again.

Cleveland, Ohio
“Happy dog=happy sons”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

My young adult sons love Happy Dog. Menu is dogs and burgers and I think that is it, but if you go to a place that has 50 toppings on their dogs that is obviously what you should order! Not for the type that has to have everything updated and sparkling, this is your old neighborhood beer joint. You fill out what toppings you want on your dog from a pad on the table. There are all kinds of toppings and sauces for tots and fries too. That is pretty much the menu, the fun comes in thinking up combos for your dog. It is in a good location for window shopping, ice cream or a movie, all in walking distance.

Lakewood, Ohio
“Hair in food”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We ate here today after reading good things about this place. The "ambiance" is pretty down and dirty -- hole in the wall by our booth, chairs torn and taped, etc. We ordered our hot dogs and an order of their tots with chili. Our hot dogs were good, but after several bites of the tots, we discovered a long hair. The waiter apologized and said he would get us another order. Shortly thereafter, the cook brought out another order. Again, after several bites, we discovered another long hair. At that point, I thought that I was going to throw up the hot dog that I was eating. They comped the tots (I wouldn't have paid for them anyway) and also my husband's beer. As far as I was concerned, they should have comped our entire bill. We won't go back.

• Visited June 2014