“Terrific food, service and ambiance”

L'Albatros Brasserie + Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Albatros Brasserie + Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 1,912 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: French, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ford Drive
Transit: The RTA Health Line bus stops in University Circle at E. 115th Street. L'Albatros is located approximately 3 blocks from the bus stop.
Reviewed November 27, 2013

This restaurant is really interesting, because it is divided up into different rooms and nooks. The lights are turned way down, but it creates a very romantic atmosphere. We had a wonderful waiter named Jacob, who didn't mind going into detail on the dishes, and was attentive to our requests. Every course served in a timely fashion. My boyfriend had the steamed artichoke appetizer, trimmed and served with a delightful lemon sauce. I enjoyed the soup of the day, a roasted red pepper and sweet potato soup garnished with parmesan and flavored olive oil. Simply fabulous. Jacob helped me decide which of two entrees to order, and I was so pleased with the chicken breasts in a goat cheese sauce garnished with caramelized fennel. My boyfriend had the tip steak, sliced thin over spaghetti squash in a heavenly wine sauce, the entree special that night. At first I thought my chicken was undercooked, and right away a manager was summoned to our table who turned the lights up so that I could show her what I was seeing, but it turned out it was cooked just fine - maybe the reddish tint to the brick room made it look pink! I was really impressed how they handled this. For dessert, we split the flan, served with caramel sauce and berries. It was heavenly. It is no wonder that this is the highest rated restaurant in Cleveland. They offer 21 entrees!!

Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

We dine here several times a year; basically whenever we are picking up or dropping off our daughter at CWRU. We feel it rivals any NYC or LA restaurant: atmosphere, food, service, value is always outstanding. Until yesterday when things were just off. The specials were never communicated to us, my husband and I were not asked if we'd like another glass of wine and we were seated inches away from the gas fireplace (which the hostess did eventually turn off). Much of the staff seemed to be "in training" which is not something we've experiences here. Last mention on service, diners at tables around ours were grumbling about in attentive staff, we noticed one couple wanting to her their check for too long a time.
We started with a roasted vegetable pizza to share and we all would have preferred it to have remained in the oven a few more minutes or until the top had some golden color. I had the trout which was delicious and a generous portion; husband had the cod which is a favorite of ours; daughter feasted on muscles and frittes. Certainly not a terrible experience but not what we've come to expect at this gem.
The almond cake is a constant winner for dessert but yesterday I passed.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

In the heart of University Circle this establishment will please in every way. The menu is diverse and easy,, and the atmosphere is relaxed casual elegance.

1  Thank photonutOhio
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The French bistro cuisine here is incredible. Service is impeccable and if a problem ever occurs, they will make it right. We have eaten here many times and are always pleased with the offerings.

Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

We've been to l'albatros many times and have enjoyed our experience each and every time. The food is great, the wine selection large and the service very friendly. This last time they had a special on wine, a glass for $12 or the bottle for $36. We went for the bottle. The wine was excellent and we noted the bottle retailed for over $40. Were we lucky or is this something we can stumble upon again? Doesn't really matter, we'll be back.