“good food!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed August 27, 2012

various sandwiches and other food. fresh and high quality. I liked everything I tried. you can sit indoor or outdoor.

1  Thank irina121d

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Having an hour to kill before a meeting, I thought I'd stop by the Westside Market in Cleveland for a fresh baked something. I'd been to the Market a few times, never noticing the cafe. Perfect! I could sit down, check emails and prepare myself for the meeting. But then the server brought my coffee. I took a sip and nearly cried. It was the best cup of coffee I ever had in my life. Writing this now, I want to go back and have another cup. Alas, it is thirty miles away.

Gone were my thoughts of a Danish. A place with this good a cup of coffee will serve a mean breakfast, I thought. I wasn't disappointed. When my breakfast arrived, I could see the fresh herbs in my scrambled eggs, the home fries were seasoned perfectly and the bread recommended by my server was from a bakery in the market. It was yummy and most likely baked that morning.

She later told me the coffee was Caruso, available inside too. I didn't buy it though because I have a Kuerig. I would consider giving it up for Caruso Coffee, though.

2  Thank mikelcesc
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Those tired of the manufactured atmosphere of large chain 'diners' will find respite here in this century-old eatery.

I'm so happy to have met family for breakfast today. I loved this place years ago when I lived closer.

Prices are very reasonable for the area, the portions, variety and quality. It's just $3.50 for two eggs, potatoes and toast. And, the toast isn't your standard order of thin squares of cafeteria-style bread - it's FRESH bread from a baker inside the market, as are all of their products. Rosemary and sourdough are added to the 'standard' choices of white, wheat or rye, all in thick slices. The two egg breakfast costs $2 more with a choice of meat; and again, the variety surpasses franchises. Instead of a choice of just bacon or sausage, you have a choice of THICK cut bacon, spicy thick cut bacon, Canadian bacon, or sausage links, ALL straight from the Market. You also have a choice between crispy hashbrown patties (standard potato cakes) or their fresh n' spicy paprika homefries with yukon golds. I LOVED the spice factor on these, but those with spice issues should opt for the hashbrown patties, or ask for some lighter seasoning. The staff is very accommodating.

In addition to a tasty breakfast, the staff and the atmosphere really made our morning. As my mom and I waited for my brother, we enjoyed coffee and interactions with the staff and customers. We were impressed that the servers were as friendly and personable to us as they were with a couple of regulars at the counter. An officer was at the corner of the counter by our booth. I guess he couldn't help but notice him enjoying his Belgian waffle while hearing us discuss the menu. He suggested that we try the waffle. "How can you argue with an officer," I joked, so my mom obliged, though she mentioned that she was looking or a bagel on the menu. Both the server and officer told us that bagels were not on the menu. However, even though Mom took the officer's advice and ordered the waffle, the officer offered repeatedly to get her any kind of bagel she wanted from the market. "You want a bagel? I'm getting you a bagel!" Mom had to refuse four times. Our server told us 'that's just how he is.' How fantastic that they have officers of that caliber and that devotion to that area. I used to live in that area in the 90s (so, going to the West Side Market and the Cafe is a luxury for me now). I'm so happy that the officers in this area have always been so stellar.

I'm also quite happy with the service at the Cafe since then as well. They have always been personable. Our server presented us with our meals, which were all piping hot. However, there was no whipped cream on Mom's Belgain waffle ($7 with the awesome berry preserve and whipped cream, $5 for plain waffle with butter and syrup). Our server told us that they were out, but their vendor in the market was making fresh as we spoke. It was impressive to see how quickly they and their Market friends shuffled in and out of the diner just to make my mom happy.

Looking at their inventive menu, I must return to try lunch and dinner, and for a good dose of Cleveland hospitality.

1  Thank TheScubaLyons
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great place to find everything from fresh fruits and veg to picture perfect meats, and bakery. There are vendors offering fresh fish, coffee, herbs, pre-made Mexican food, perogie, pasta, Asian foods and more. Great spot to grab an inexpensive lunch or something to take home for dinner. Later in the day before closing, the vendors will reduce prices and competition to sell their product is high.

2  Thank cakedeco
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This place is extremely original and classic. The restaurant is tucked into the back of he west side market, and opened the same time as the market in 1912. The food resembles that of a diner, but is very good and very well priced. The feel and atmosphere of the space is of an old diner in a bigger city like New York or Chicago. Very cool space, nice customer service worth a stop. PS very convenient if you're already in the market!!

2  Thank CareMay