“Interesting, Inexpensive”

USS Cod Submarine Memorial
Ranked #9 of 179 things to do in Cleveland
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour the submarine responsible for the sinking of nearly 30,000 tons of Japanese ships during WWII.
Dallas, Texas
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Interesting, Inexpensive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

To go back in time into a WWII submarine is quite an experience. I brought with me an engineer who loves WWII history and he was absolutely in love. We could have been in there for the whole day if I didn't move him along. It was a special commemorative day when we were there and there were volunteers and veterans around to talk to us. One was even practicing his Morse Code. Highly recommended.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank czematis

Novi, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great educational experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our tour guide who was an ex-submariner, really described to us what it was like to live in a submarine. Great tour guide, truly knew what he was talking about. Definitely something you should see when in town.

1 Thank MattL77
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“get a guide”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

We were so fortunate that a volunteer ( Tim and ex torpedo vet ) just happened to be there when we wanted to see the sub . He was so patient and explained things to us that we never would have thought of . Yes ! You may tour the sub on your own but it would not be as educational .
All four of us " older , young " ladies thoroughly enjoyed our tour .
Admission was reasonable , and it's location is right beside " The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ) , which was our main destination .

1 Thank cosmos55
Ohio
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Educational”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I went on the Sub Sept. 2, 2013 on Labor Day so it was pretty crowded. We waited in line about 15 minutes. I do not like tight spaces, but this was ok. The scariest part was climbing down into the sub and there was a narrow area near the end -- about 10' long. I just waited for the people to get to the end and then I walked through. They fit a lot of stuff on this sub. They had to think of a lot of stuff that I would not have--laundry machines, oxygen, ice cream machines, showers, toilets, kitchens. I cannot believe they fit so many people on here. I think it took us an hour to walk through. Even though it was crowded, there weren't a lot of people on top of you while in the submarine. There were a few things to look at outside too. They started the engine up, which was really neat. If you have never been on one of these, it is a great experience. I was fascinated and took lots of pictures. There were people helping you get in and out of the manholes too. I thought the people were friendly and answered all of my questions. It was a wonderful learning experience.

Some additional information: It costs $10 to get in. There was a discount for seniors. It is located to the right of the Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame. Mapquest didn't quite get us there. If you keep going staight, like they tell you too, you end up at Lake Erie. There is a street right before that. Turn right. The Sub is on the left. (If you turn left, you are heading towards the footbal staduim). The parking was free. I do not know if it is free all of the time though.

4 Thank SherriOhio
OFallon Mo
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Submarine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

It was fun going down into a real submarine. The guide gave us much info about the history of the sub.
This was not handicap accessible. If you are clostrophobic this might not be for you. You have to climb down a ladder to reach the interior of the submarine.

Visited July 2013