“Great Staff, but”

Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Staff, but”
Reviewed November 13, 2009

it's kinda noisy in the room. There are train tracks just east of the property and the freight trains tend to blow their whistles throughout the night. In addition, in my opinion, the heating system isn't that efficient and it's noisy. I set the thermostat to 71 and it got got quite warm quickly, but then it would shut down and the room would get cold within a short period of time. I then had to increase the temperature by a degree in order for the heat to engage again.

Apparently the hotel was renovated within the past year or two, but there's definitely some noticeable wear and tear. The cleanliness of the room wasn't the greatest and there was a bit of an unpleasant odor in my colleague's room, similar to a moisture infiltration smell. I also found a couple of bugs (looked like lady bugs) flying around my room. I could have mentioned a couple of my gripes to the staff, but I was honestly too tired to deal with it.

On the bright side, the staff was very friendly and helpful, there's a complimentary shuttle to area restaurants, the bed was comfy, there's complimentary wifi, it's reasonably priced and the Hilton Honor's breakfast was tasty.

Unfortunately the noises kept waking me up. If you don't mind some of the issues I mentioned, I guess it's worth a stay, but I won't be returning.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Augusta, GA
Reviewed November 12, 2009

I really enjoyed my stay in downtown Cleveland. The staff was uber nice, the rooms are beautiful (if cozy), and everything is right near the hotel. Don't bother with the restaurant, though.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed October 23, 2009

We booked the Doubletree on Hotwire for a great price, but we were concerned about some reviews. Yes, the rooms are not the cleanest, but they have very comfortable beds. We heard some noise from the room next door, but it was quiet at night while we slept. The doors do slam loudly, but again it wasn't a problem. We were on the third floor overlooking a roof and it didn't seem like many people were on this floor, so maybe this was the reason for the quiet stay. We saw several hockey and soccer teams in the lobby, and they were in a partying mood, but they were not staying on the same floor as we were - thank goodness.
Now for the positives. The location was great for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It is within a 5 minute walk to the Hall of Fame, the Great Lakes Science Center (unfortunately closed for 2 weeks while we were there) and the Brown's Stadium. It is right downtown, and on the weekend it is mostly deserted. We searched for a restaurant and couldn't come up with anything so we ate at the hotel. It was pricey, but the food and service were great. There is cheaper pub grub available in the bar, as well as excellent Great Lakes beer on tap. There is also a Starbucks in the lobby, which we used for breakfast coffee and muffins.
The best thing we liked was the shuttle service. They took us to the stadium for the Indians game, and picked us up about 11:45 PM to return to the hotel. This gave us enough time to explore the great bars and restaurants around the stadium after the game. We had to pay for parking, but the shuttle service was available all day throughout the weekend, which was good since it was raining much of the time. We did pay $16 a night for parking, but the parking lot is very convenient, if you want to drive in and out.
Lastly, the front desk staff seemed harried, but the other employees were friendly, helpful and courteous. The hostess/waitress at the restaurant gave us ourstanding service.
All in all it was a comfortable stay and worth the hotwire price ($54).

Virginia
Reviewed October 22, 2009

I will never stay in a DoubleTree hotel again. They provide poor customer service, do not hire responsible employees and then do not take responsibility for the actions of their employees, and do not properly clean or maintain their rooms. We were in Cleveland for my dad's heart surgery at Cleveland Clinic. While going through that traumatic experience, both my sister and I had items stolen from our rooms by the hotel's housekeeping staff on two different days. I had some cosmetics stolen--disturbing but not terribly costly--but my sister had a diamond bracelet stolen from her room. She filed a police report. The hotel insurance company denied both claims, despite the fact that no one entered our rooms except the hotel housekeeping staff—and they knew that after having done a room access check. Moreover, my room was dirty--for example, on the first day, there was a hair band with blond hair stuck in it lying on the desk. My mother pulled up the bed skirt around her bed, and it was filthy all around the edge of the bed--disgusting! Housekeeping did a very poor job of cleaning and refreshing the rooms on a daily basis, as most of the time none of us had clean glasses after the first day. I guess they were too busy rummaging through our belongings and deciding what to steal to actually do their jobs. My room was also in very bad repair, including a closet that was falling in at the top, and a shower diverter that did not work and directed most of the water into the tub rather than out the shower head during a shower. My parents’ sink had no stopper, so my mother had to be very careful about taking off her jewelry, lest it fall down the sink drain. The bathrooms, by the way, are extremely small—too small for two people. One night, the hotel left us all standing in front of the hospital in the cold, waiting for the shuttle that they said they would send to take us back to the hotel. When we finally called to find out where they were, they said they were too busy to come get us, so we had to take the bus and walk six or seven blocks, late at night, after spending a long day with my dad in the ICU. We constantly had trouble with our access cards, including not being able to get in and out of the garage and sometimes not being able to get into our rooms. The hotel staff never even so much as apologized for the inconvenience. After my dad was discharged from the hospital, he had to stay in Cleveland for a while. They ended up having to be there in the hotel while a Browns game was going on that weekend. The stadium is just a few blocks from the hotel. My mother had to call hotel security to get people in nearby rooms quieted down at 3:00 in the morning. People were literally screaming down the halls of the hotel. All in all it was a terrible experience. The only positive thing I can say about the hotel is that the beds were comfortable. However, considering the overall uncleanliness of the rooms, I doubt the beds were sanitary enough to be slept in.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank UnhiddenTruths
charlotte, nc
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This hotel was very busy the weekend we were there for a football game and despite being sold out, the hotel was very clean, organized, had a nice pool and hot tub and very nice rooms. They checked me in quickly and in a friendly manner and we enjoyed our stay.

Lexington, MA
Reviewed September 24, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights. It seems like an older building; the carpets in the halls were well worn, but inside our room (14th floor) was okay. The room was decorated in all dark shades, however, which was not to my taste. All the furniture was made of dark wood, , the curtains were black and brown, and most of the walls were also dark-colored. Some might find it a little depressing.
It was also a bit noisy. The room doors are very heavy, which you would think would keep out noise from the corridor, but they also make quite a racket when someone else slams one of them. The airport is about a block away, and there is also a train which passes by and sounds its whistle frequently all through the day and night.
Other reviewers have mentioned the slowness of the elevators. We also experienced that because it seemed like at most times only 2 of the 4 elevators were in operation. The ride down, especially, was often slow with many stops. And this is at mid-week in the off season.
The location is great, within walking distance of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Science Center, the Browns' Stadium and other attractions. We didn't make use of the shuttle vans.
If you do stay here, I would recommend that you use one of the packages offered that includes parking privileges. Using our room key to operate the gates, we came and went frequently throughout the day, and it was a great convenience.
Our package also included daily breakfast at their Stadium 3 restaurant, and that was also a fine benefit. The breakfast buffet included just about anything one could want, including eggs (omelets also made to order) French toast, bacon and sausages, as well as the usual muffins, bagels, fruit and yogurt. Otherwise it would have been pretty pricey; I heard the server quote $10 for just the lighter portion. We liked the restaurant so well that we had some of our other meals there.
The front desk staff was friendly enough, but seemed overworked. Whenever we approached them, we always had to wait for them to finish whatever they were doing (usually taking part in a phone call) before we were given their attention.
The housekeeping staff seemed thorough and efficient.
We had the pool to ourselves one night, and it was pleasant. The water was clean and a good temperature.
The only real problem came at checkout time. There were no luggage carts available (the most I had ever seen around were three, for a hotel with 18 floors), so I had to make several trips on that slow elevator with our belongings. To make matters worse, the maintenance crew was making some cosmetic repairs to the sidewalk, so they blocked off the doorway to the first floor of the garage, where my car had been parked. So what I had to do was, after moving my car to a higher level and returning to my room, come down that slow guest elevator, trudge through the lobby, then get on the garage elevator and up to my car. Then back the other way for the next trip. Several times, since, as I mentioned, there was a shortage of luggage carts. Not good planning by hotel management.
All in all, we had a good stay. Most of the inconveniences were minor, and the location and amenities we got with the Rock Hall package made up for a lot.

Michigan
Reviewed September 11, 2009

I read the reviews about the dirty bathrooms and it is true. There was poop stuck on the wall behind the toilet and dirt, hair and dust in the corners of the bathrooms. I had to clean the bathroom myself because it was to nasty. I wanted to take a picture out the window of the lake but the window was so flithy that all it would have shown was the dirt!! Nice furniture if they would ever dust it!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family