“weekend get away”

Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
San Francisco, California
“weekend get away”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed here when we went to a Cleveland Indians Game...great location, comfortable room and hotel staff was very nice. Beautiful lake view! In walking distance to lots of restaurants and entertainment. Almost forgot, best cookies ever!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Toronto
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We've stayed at lots of Doubletrees. This one disappointed.

Old property that's been sort of refreshed. My view a cheap update. Wallpaper. Bit of paint. Some new furniture.

But when you look closely, dirty old caulking in the bathrooms. Scratches all over the doors. Old bathroom fixtures.

We bought a package that included the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Good!! Also gave us free self-parking. Good! Breakfast also included ... buffet but pretty decent with a fellow who made omelets, etc to order. Lots of fruit, baked goods, etc. Very good.

Elevators 'anemic'. For traction elevators really, really slow. Had been sorta freshened up inside but still showed their age.

Getting local info from one guy on the desk was like tooth extraction. Had to pry.

e.g. "I understand there are free trolleys in the downtown."

"Yeah, there are."

"Would you have any info on that? A map, schedule, something like that?"

"Oh, I think we have something in back."

"How would I get to Houliahan's restaurant?"

"Well, I think I've HEARD of it."

"???? Here's the address ..."

"Oh, well you could walk here and there and it's not that far."

"Did I understand that this hotel has a free shuttle service?" (Meantime looking at TWO shuttles parked outside)

"Oh, yeah. You could take our shuttle."

'nuff said.

Shower didn't work. Water came out the shower head and dropped straight to floor of tub. No pressure.

Lifted a bath towel off the CHEAP towel bar and the bar came with it, off the wall onto the floor.

And the incremental air conditioning/heating unit kept us up most of the night, cycling on and off, on and off, on and off.

1. Best way to address this is with a separate thermostat on the wall away from the unit. It was on the wall but disconnected. Cheap renovation??

2. Next is have units that allow you to set the fan manually to run continuously all night. You don't notice the cycling of the compressor. This one didn't have that feature.

Frankly underpar for the Hilton brand.

If we go back to Cleveland, and we may, we'll be looking elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TO_Trips
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The hotel is outdated, dark and claustrophobic. The reception is too small for the size of the hotel; the lines are often long for check-in or out. The service at the reception is not very knowledgeable and people working there seem miserable - the exception being the gentleman checking us out. On the good side, the rooms are kept clean and the beds and bedsheets are quite comfortable.

Padua, Italy
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I've stayed in a number of hotels in CLE, in a few different areas of the city, and as a former resident of Cleveland, this one worked out quite nicely!

Being on the lake, you could potentially have nice views, but my window was not facing the lake so all I got was a northern view of ... building. It's easy to find and even easier to get here. There's a parking garage (it was sort of expensive) and meters, which are only available outside of "normal" hours (8am-5pm), so at least if you're driving, your car will be secure.

All employees I encountered during my stay were exceptional. Like, super, duper nice! Especially the moment I entered and was greeted with a smile.

I didn't have a fridge in my room, which was a little bit of a disappointment, but all was forgiven once my head hit my pillow. A comfy bed is an absolute MUST in a good hotel and DT knocked it out of the park. That. Bed. Is. Awesome.

The Bad:

*$16.00 a day for parking. Kind of high for Cleveland, don't you think?
*The room wasn't very clean. It looked like the cleaning staff did a half-assed job.
*The workout room was horrible. The treadmill I used warbled so badly, I felt like I was skateboarding.
*Worst of all, there were ads all around the hotel boasting about the free cookies they provided. Well, it's been a week since my two night stay and I'm still waiting for my damn cookie.
* Just need faster elevators!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Angelo66187867
Fairfield, PA, United States
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. I was not impressed by the cleanliness or smell of our room. We warned that the pool would be closed before we got there and were shuttled to another hotel to use their pool which was convenient but the shuttle took forever to come get us and bring us back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Williamstown MA, United States
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel is around corner from Browns Stadium and RocknRoll Hall of Fame. Walking distance to East 4th Street with bars and restaurants. Bar is fun and breakfast was passable. Room included parking, breakfast, and tickets to Hall of Fame. Booked at DoubleTree website.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Cleveland, United States
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I frequently stick with the Hilton brand for consistent service. However, my last stay at the Doubletree in Cleveland was anything but satisfactory. Problems: •Dirty bathroom floor (pictures available) •Bathroom vent covered in filth (pictures available) •Spiders descending onto my bed. There was a nest behind the crown molding above bed. (pictures available) I have reserved this Hotel for three more 6 night stays throughout the months of November. As of today I am considering changing these to another Brand Hotel.

1 Thank David W
GeorgeI228, General Manager at Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear David W, I was so distressed to read your review. This is certainly not the image or experience we strive for. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our guest rooms, and when we fall short, we take it very seriously. If you could please email me at giannacone@thehotelgroup.com or call me at 216-928-3222 to discuss your stay in greater detail. Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you.