“Okay but wouldn't choose to stay here again”

Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside
Ranked #21 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed here for four nights for business. The bed was comfortable and clean, which is key. The lobby was decent and the staff friendly. The decor in the halls and room was dark and dated, and some of the furniture in the room and in the halls were scratched up. My bathroom was pretty tiny and the tub didn't drain properly. The elevators were always extremely slow. One of the wheels on the desk chair had broken off prior to my stay, and it was just hanging out, waiting for someone to fix it. Breakfast was decent but could have been better stocked.

Room Tip: Room with one queen size bed is tiny.
Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Raya2020
Doubletree33, Manager at Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our guestrooms. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We hope you'll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.

There are newer reviews for Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have no complaints. I only needed the room from 8 pm until 5 am and I did not use anything but the garage and wi-fi. Grace, at the front desk, is exceptional. She had a large group checking in in front of me that she was dealing with all on her own and she kept her composure beautifully. When it was my turn, she treated me as if I was the most important person in the world. I would stay there again just because of Grace. My room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom well equipped.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Came to the area to see the Grateful Dead exhibit at the Rock Hall and this is the closest hotel. The Rock Hall package is great, includes breakfast daily, parking, and tickets for the hall.
The lobby is fine, but the room was in need of repair and updating. The closet doorknob was loose and hanging nearly off, the furniture was scuffed and scratched, and when the room was cleaned for our second day the old coffee was not removed from the coffee maker and we did not get any new soap or supplies. We needed an accessible room, which we received as reserved. However, the accessible bathroom toilet was not high enough for a disabled person to rise from and we had many difficulties. There was no trash can in the bathroom, nor were there tissues, but they were delivered as soon as we requested them. The peephole in the door was lowered for a wheelchair bound person, but it was SO low that only a child would be able to use it. We had a good chuckle about that one. Lastly regarding accessibility, the parking garage is woefully inadequate for handicapped parking. In a 6 story garage I spotted one spot per floor on floors 2-6, and on the main level there were only 3.
The breakfast buffet is a good value, omelets to order and very good muffins, and there is a Starbucks in the lobby as another option. There is a shuttle provided for many locations in town. The lake view is a plus.
I have stayed in Doubletree fairly often and this one is just a bit tired.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingLinda
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was booked in for 5 nights for a business trip and wish I never came here, except for the location, it is a dive.

The best bits - beds are comfortable, WiFi is good and uh, well... that's about it...

As mentioned by others the hotel decor is dark and dull, making the rooms and corridors feel claustrophobic. The shower/bath did not drain, leaving you standing in water during your shower.
The noise from the adjoining rooms is loud, enough to hear the TV and pretty much make out which channel they are watching.

I had a couple of issues during my stay, so I called guest services. The first time they completed ignored my request and so I chased them up later in the day, and then they responded.

However the major issue was the repair work they undertook on the hotel - AT midnight till 3am... repairing the air-conditioning... when I asked if they intended to do that the next night they completely denied any knowledge of it... however they said they would find me another room and call me back and guess what... no call!

At the end of the day the hotel is well past it's use by date and would highly recommend you stay elsewhere. This experience only damages my views and opinion of Hilton Hotels.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 6378KM

Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments about your recent stay at our hotel. We were very pleased to see you found the bed to be comfortable and that the WiFi worked well and was convenient. Your feedback regarding the slow draining tub, dark decor, repair work and noise is much appreciated and shared as we move forward to improve our guest experience. We would like to regain your confidence and hope you will reconsider using us in the future.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

The location of this hotel was great - in downtown, on the lake, and with easy walking access to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The staff was friendly and accommodating, and a parking garage was in the hotel for a $10 fee. The beds were comfortable, and the lobby area and restaurant/bar were clean and well decorated. Other than that, the hotel was unimpressive and kind of "blah." It was very dated. A perfect example - the shower head was old-school, with a huge rush of water which was very nice - until I noticed water pooling around my ankles because the tub wouldn't drain. Yuck!

This is an acceptable place for an overnight, but I wouldn't make it a destination hotel. Also, although on the lake, it was right on the lakeside airport as well. Small jets were pretty loud, particularly at night. This certainly qualifies as an "average" hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the west side, away from the airport
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Doubletree33, General Manager at Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

I am glad you enjoyed many aspects of the hotel and look forward to having you back. I will make sure to follow up on your comments with regards to the shower head and slow drain. We appreciate the effort it takes to give us your feedback and will utilize it to improve. We do want to be your choice as a destination, leisure, and business hotel.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

First time I stayed here since the renovations. Great location but still needs some work. Updates appear to be mainly cosmetic. Bathroom ceiling was leaking from the floor above and they basically put a towel there and let it leak. May want to pay a few more dollars and stay at another hotel.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thanks for letting us be your hotel of choice for your recent stay in Clevland. I am sorry to hear about the leak from the room above and can assure you this isn't a common occurence. The lastest renovations included a complete remodel of the room including all furnishings, mattresses, bedding, wall vinyl and bathroom. All common areas were redesigned, as well as all new furnishings. We were very fortunate in that we also replaced all Airconditioning and Heat throughout the hotel. Your input is valuable and we hope you give us another opportunity when traveling to Cleveland again.
Again, thanks..

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Please note that this review is based upon the need for a comfortable, peaceful, and healthful stay. I spent two nights at this hotel:

I had no problems with the furnishings or decor of the hotel. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, although the heating/AC leaves one feeling dry. I kept smelling kerosene and cigarettes all night long but assumed it was due to smokers down below and the railroad tracks down below (if you are lucky, you can hear the trains throughout the night).

Check-in could have gone smoother. The kid at check-in acted like a know-it-all. And then a manager was sassing at the employees about when guests may use tax exemptions.

Exercise room is just okay and crowded - only 1 elliptical trainer, a stationary bike, and some treadmills. I wanted to but did not swim in the pool, as the water was freezing; if the water heater is broken, the hotel needs to post a sign stating such (and I swim 2x weekly and know when a pool heater is broken). The pool did not open up until 6am, which is somewhat late for business travelers.

I would not eat at the restaurant or order room service - the options seemed very greasy and over-priced. The Starbucks does not stay open that late, and there were not many options in the little snack mart next to the check-in desk. At least there is a Subway and other restaurants within walking distance.

Sorry, but the free chocolate chip cookie at check-in did not entice me. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am very happy to see you enjoyed the rooms and the cleanliness of it. Your feedback with regards to the conversations at check in, AC, work out facility and choices on are menus, are welcomed and taken into consideration daily. Your feedback allows us to plan for future expansions and choices. I do hope you will reconsider using us in the future.
Thank you.