“Avoid unless desperate”

Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside
Ranked #21 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was booked in for 5 nights for a business trip and wish I never came here, except for the location, it is a dive.

The best bits - beds are comfortable, WiFi is good and uh, well... that's about it...

As mentioned by others the hotel decor is dark and dull, making the rooms and corridors feel claustrophobic. The shower/bath did not drain, leaving you standing in water during your shower.
The noise from the adjoining rooms is loud, enough to hear the TV and pretty much make out which channel they are watching.

I had a couple of issues during my stay, so I called guest services. The first time they completed ignored my request and so I chased them up later in the day, and then they responded.

However the major issue was the repair work they undertook on the hotel - AT midnight till 3am... repairing the air-conditioning... when I asked if they intended to do that the next night they completely denied any knowledge of it... however they said they would find me another room and call me back and guess what... no call!

At the end of the day the hotel is well past it's use by date and would highly recommend you stay elsewhere. This experience only damages my views and opinion of Hilton Hotels.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 6378KM
Doubletree33, Manager at Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments about your recent stay at our hotel. We were very pleased to see you found the bed to be comfortable and that the WiFi worked well and was convenient. Your feedback regarding the slow draining tub, dark decor, repair work and noise is much appreciated and shared as we move forward to improve our guest experience. We would like to regain your confidence and hope you will reconsider using us in the future.

There are newer reviews for Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside

Reviewed October 16, 2012

The location of this hotel was great - in downtown, on the lake, and with easy walking access to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The staff was friendly and accommodating, and a parking garage was in the hotel for a $10 fee. The beds were comfortable, and the lobby area and restaurant/bar were clean and well decorated. Other than that, the hotel was unimpressive and kind of "blah." It was very dated. A perfect example - the shower head was old-school, with a huge rush of water which was very nice - until I noticed water pooling around my ankles because the tub wouldn't drain. Yuck!

This is an acceptable place for an overnight, but I wouldn't make it a destination hotel. Also, although on the lake, it was right on the lakeside airport as well. Small jets were pretty loud, particularly at night. This certainly qualifies as an "average" hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the west side, away from the airport
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Doubletree33, General Manager at Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

I am glad you enjoyed many aspects of the hotel and look forward to having you back. I will make sure to follow up on your comments with regards to the shower head and slow drain. We appreciate the effort it takes to give us your feedback and will utilize it to improve. We do want to be your choice as a destination, leisure, and business hotel.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

First time I stayed here since the renovations. Great location but still needs some work. Updates appear to be mainly cosmetic. Bathroom ceiling was leaking from the floor above and they basically put a towel there and let it leak. May want to pay a few more dollars and stay at another hotel.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thanks for letting us be your hotel of choice for your recent stay in Clevland. I am sorry to hear about the leak from the room above and can assure you this isn't a common occurence. The lastest renovations included a complete remodel of the room including all furnishings, mattresses, bedding, wall vinyl and bathroom. All common areas were redesigned, as well as all new furnishings. We were very fortunate in that we also replaced all Airconditioning and Heat throughout the hotel. Your input is valuable and we hope you give us another opportunity when traveling to Cleveland again.
Again, thanks..

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Please note that this review is based upon the need for a comfortable, peaceful, and healthful stay. I spent two nights at this hotel:

I had no problems with the furnishings or decor of the hotel. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, although the heating/AC leaves one feeling dry. I kept smelling kerosene and cigarettes all night long but assumed it was due to smokers down below and the railroad tracks down below (if you are lucky, you can hear the trains throughout the night).

Check-in could have gone smoother. The kid at check-in acted like a know-it-all. And then a manager was sassing at the employees about when guests may use tax exemptions.

Exercise room is just okay and crowded - only 1 elliptical trainer, a stationary bike, and some treadmills. I wanted to but did not swim in the pool, as the water was freezing; if the water heater is broken, the hotel needs to post a sign stating such (and I swim 2x weekly and know when a pool heater is broken). The pool did not open up until 6am, which is somewhat late for business travelers.

I would not eat at the restaurant or order room service - the options seemed very greasy and over-priced. The Starbucks does not stay open that late, and there were not many options in the little snack mart next to the check-in desk. At least there is a Subway and other restaurants within walking distance.

Sorry, but the free chocolate chip cookie at check-in did not entice me. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am very happy to see you enjoyed the rooms and the cleanliness of it. Your feedback with regards to the conversations at check in, AC, work out facility and choices on are menus, are welcomed and taken into consideration daily. Your feedback allows us to plan for future expansions and choices. I do hope you will reconsider using us in the future.
Thank you.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I recently booked a reward stay at this hotel for an anniversary getaway. I was greeted with a room upgrade and complementary champaign and fruit.

Didn't know much about the area but the staff was delightful and very happy to help.

Would definitely recommend to others - great experience overall.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has a great location, with free shuttle service to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The service was good, though lunch in the Grille was excessively slow. The overall appearance of the common areas, hallways, and room is dark and dreary. The bed was very plush and comfortable. With a little updating, this hotel could be greatly improved.

• Stayed: October 2012

Although I am happy to hear you enjoyed the staff and the beds, which are great..., I am sorry your service was a bit slow for your meal. I will ensure you these are looked at daily and discussed.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

My son & I went to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and wanted a hotel that was close by. We found the Doubletree and we not disappointed. It's location allowed us to not only walk to the Hall of Fame but we also walked around downtown Cleveland without any problems.

Pros: Clean room, quiet, nice views of the lake, airport, and the main road. The location was perfect for us and most of the staff was extremely friendly. Also the COOKIES!!

Cons: After a game (we were there during a Brown's & Indian's game on the same night) the area becomes very crowded so it can be tough to get back to your hotel. We sat in traffic for a while so that's a consideration for next time. Also the parking garage can get crowded so a large vehicle could be tricky to park.

I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to my friends/family.
Also if you are trying to find a place to park while you check in City Hall shares a parking lot with the hotel so you can use one of the metered spots. The main drop off was backed with buses so we didn't have any choice but it was fine.

Room Tip: Don't forget to ask for cookies whenever you pass by the front desk.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

So glad you enjoyed the staff, location, and of course the "COOKIES"... I am sorry you found challenge with the parking and yes, downtown after a game is a challenge everywhere. Hopefully the next time you visit, you can take advantage of our Complimentary Local Shuttle service...