“Clean but some room for improvement.”

Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Please note that this review is based upon the need for a comfortable, peaceful, and healthful stay. I spent two nights at this hotel:

I had no problems with the furnishings or decor of the hotel. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, although the heating/AC leaves one feeling dry. I kept smelling kerosene and cigarettes all night long but assumed it was due to smokers down below and the railroad tracks down below (if you are lucky, you can hear the trains throughout the night).

Check-in could have gone smoother. The kid at check-in acted like a know-it-all. And then a manager was sassing at the employees about when guests may use tax exemptions.

Exercise room is just okay and crowded - only 1 elliptical trainer, a stationary bike, and some treadmills. I wanted to but did not swim in the pool, as the water was freezing; if the water heater is broken, the hotel needs to post a sign stating such (and I swim 2x weekly and know when a pool heater is broken). The pool did not open up until 6am, which is somewhat late for business travelers.

I would not eat at the restaurant or order room service - the options seemed very greasy and over-priced. The Starbucks does not stay open that late, and there were not many options in the little snack mart next to the check-in desk. At least there is a Subway and other restaurants within walking distance.

Sorry, but the free chocolate chip cookie at check-in did not entice me. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Doubletree33, General Manager at Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am very happy to see you enjoyed the rooms and the cleanliness of it. Your feedback with regards to the conversations at check in, AC, work out facility and choices on are menus, are welcomed and taken into consideration daily. Your feedback allows us to plan for future expansions and choices. I do hope you will reconsider using us in the future.
Thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,108)

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I recently booked a reward stay at this hotel for an anniversary getaway. I was greeted with a room upgrade and complementary champaign and fruit.

Didn't know much about the area but the staff was delightful and very happy to help.

Would definitely recommend to others - great experience overall.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has a great location, with free shuttle service to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The service was good, though lunch in the Grille was excessively slow. The overall appearance of the common areas, hallways, and room is dark and dreary. The bed was very plush and comfortable. With a little updating, this hotel could be greatly improved.

• Stayed: October 2012

Although I am happy to hear you enjoyed the staff and the beds, which are great..., I am sorry your service was a bit slow for your meal. I will ensure you these are looked at daily and discussed.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

My son & I went to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and wanted a hotel that was close by. We found the Doubletree and we not disappointed. It's location allowed us to not only walk to the Hall of Fame but we also walked around downtown Cleveland without any problems.

Pros: Clean room, quiet, nice views of the lake, airport, and the main road. The location was perfect for us and most of the staff was extremely friendly. Also the COOKIES!!

Cons: After a game (we were there during a Brown's & Indian's game on the same night) the area becomes very crowded so it can be tough to get back to your hotel. We sat in traffic for a while so that's a consideration for next time. Also the parking garage can get crowded so a large vehicle could be tricky to park.

I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to my friends/family.
Also if you are trying to find a place to park while you check in City Hall shares a parking lot with the hotel so you can use one of the metered spots. The main drop off was backed with buses so we didn't have any choice but it was fine.

Room Tip: Don't forget to ask for cookies whenever you pass by the front desk.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

So glad you enjoyed the staff, location, and of course the "COOKIES"... I am sorry you found challenge with the parking and yes, downtown after a game is a challenge everywhere. Hopefully the next time you visit, you can take advantage of our Complimentary Local Shuttle service...

Reviewed October 2, 2012

This was a great place to stay in Cleveland for one night. The staff was extremely friendly and we were greeted with cookies...yum! The price was reasonable, rooms were just what we needed, and decor was nice and modern. We were able to walk around town to many near attractions. There was also a free shuttle that took us where we needed. I would definitely go back if I return to Cleveland.

Room Tip: The higher, the better view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Spent a weekend recently at the Doubletree with constant companion while visiting my son, a student at CWRU. First impression; property would benefit from some overdue updating, especially in the common areas. That having been said, the room was comfortable and the bathroom was recently and tastefully redone. The staff was very pleasant and helpful and was a major reason for earning my "very good" rating.
Although I would consider staying here again, my preference among the downtown hotels is the Marriott at Key center.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

I am very happy to hear you enjoy our staff and the levels of service you received. We have recently updated and replaced items in the common area and I feel these changes would be much to your liking. While I understand you have choices, we hope to have you as our guest the next time you return to Cleveland.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

My adult son and I were in town for an Indians game. The hotel is nice, quiet, & clean. Could be updated a bit. Easy walking distance to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the submarine, the ore ship, and Browns Stadium. There is no shopping and limited restaurants in the immediate area. The Starbucks in the hotel lobby is the only coffee shop in the area, as well.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family