“Great Weekend Getaway”

Ranked #4 of 13 Cleveland B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Weekend Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Thank you, Jim, for your wonderful hospitality, and for sharing your home with us this weekend. We greatly enjoyed meeting you, Sherlock, and Wesley.

Overall, our stay was perfect and I wouldn't change a thing. I have one minor complaint, so I'll start with that. We stayed in the Schneider Suite, which was large, comfortable and contained all the amenities we needed - fridge, microwave, cable tv, plenty of seating, magazines to browse, etc. My ONLY complaint -- and it really wasn't that bad -- is the mattress was kind of saggy in the middle. However, I am used to an extra firm mattress, so maybe this wouldn't bother someone else. The bedding was clean and comfortable.

The positives FAR outweighed my one negative. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted and made to feel comfortable. Introduced to Sherlock, the adorable hound, and Wesley, the super cool, affectionate cat. We were shown around to the common areas and then taken up to our room. We were given a key to the home so we could come and go as we pleased, and Jim took the time to explain where the various restaurants were and suggest a few good ones.

The Schneider Suite is up about two flights of stairs, but we didn't mind (I need the exercise!). It has it's own private bathroom with a tub with a hand-held shower. Jim pointed out that most guests preferred to use the shared bathroom on the second floor for showers. I'm not too keen on sharing a bathroom, but we ended up doing that since the tub in the suite sits under a roof angle and it's probably more suitable for a smaller person/child to use. I didn't need to be concerned, however, since the 2nd floor bathroom was EXTREMELY clean and well-stocked! I had brought my own shampoo/conditioner, soap, etc., but found that Jim had thoughtfully provided all of that, as well as a hairdryer in our suite and one in the 2nd floor bathroom. There were plenty of towels and washcloths available and the 2nd floor bathroom was nicely decorated with a double sink vanity. Our upstairs suite bathroom was great to have though, and we used that for brushing our teeth, etc. The upstairs suite also has large closet, which was nice to have to store our luggage and hang up our clothing.

There were two other guests in the home at the same time as us, but we barely saw them. Mostly, we had a great couple's weekend away and were very pleased with the location of Clifford House. Jim was helpful in giving us information about the neighborhood (i.e. safety, etc.) - we felt safe walking around the neighborhood, even late at night, visiting Momocho, Bier Market, The Black Pig & Nano Brew, Great Lakes Brewery, Koffie, The West Side Market & Something Different Gallery - ALL of which I highly recommend.

The Clifford House is a comfortable, affordable B&B in the heart of Ohio City and walking distance to everything. We highly recommend it and will plan to return again.

Oh, one final note - we ate breakfast only one morning of our stay and Jim went out of his way to make us breakfast - turns out the other guests didn't show up - we were served plenty of fresh fruit, banana bread, coffee, a great selection of teas, water, juice, scrambled eggs, and potatoes with a fabulous apple cured bacon (we bought the latter at the West Side Market to take home with us, it was that good!)

Stay here. You won't regret it and you'll still have some money left over to go enjoy the local fare :-)

Room Tip: If you don't mind climbing a few steps, the Schneider Suite provided lots of space, privacy and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PghJenna37

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Acme, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Clifford House Bed & Breakfast. Jim is an excellent host and we enjoyed talking with him at breakfast each morning. Clifford House has a relaxed and homey atmosphere which is something we prefer. The decor is nice without being fussy or too formal. If you look around, you’ll see some artwork done by Jim himself which is a nice touch. Jim is a great cook and there is plenty to eat. Delicious breads and some of the freshest, sweetest fruit, eggs, sausage and bacon, all purchased from the West Side Market. And of course the homemade pancakes. Yum!

We stayed in the Schneider Suite which is in the attic. It is very spacious, has high ceilings and windows on 3 sides. Yes, there are quite a few steps to climb but it’s no big deal. We joked that we were getting our legs ready for ski season. While the bathroom is pretty small, it’s convenient having one right in the room. We did choose to use the shower in the shared bathroom 1 floor down. It’s a nice, large, clean bathroom with lots of water pressure. My only wish for this room would be for a king size bed.

The location of Clifford House couldn’t be any better. We love the historic neighborhood and there are no many restaurants within walking distance. There is a grocery store right around the block in case you forget anything. The West Side Market is also within walking distance. We love to go there and buy items we can’t get at home. Since there is a small refrigerator in the room, we just store things there until we are ready to leave. Also, if you want to head to the Tremont area and eat at Lolita’s, it’s only a 5 minute drive.

We also enjoyed the company of Jim’s dog Sherlock and cat Wesley. Sherlock and Wesely have run of the house just like your own pets would at home. If you don’t like the company of a dog at breakfast, you might not like it here.

If you want to stay at a comfortable, relaxing and affordable B&B in the heart of it all, don’t hesitate to stay here. You are within walking distance of great places like Heck’s Café, Great Lakes Brewery, Bier Market and the West Side Market and so much more. Thanks Jim!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank acmesinca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

My partner and I stayed in the John Schneider room, which was exactly as advertised--spacious and private. Jim., the host, was very amiable and helped us find our way around the neighborhood. The breakfasts we were served were both tasty and abundant. For coff drinkers, the aroma of freshly ground beans percolating in the dining room is a welcome invitation to breakfast. We look forward to returning during our next visit to Cleveland.

• Stayed July 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Jim made sure we had a wonderful week in Ohio City! His breakfasts are superb, the house is charming, and the location is perfect. Super-clean and comfortable accomodations.

• Stayed July 2012
Cass City, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

I just finished a month long course at the Cleveland Clinic and had to find housing. I went online and chose the Clifford House and am I glad I did! I had an awesome stay.The "Ohio City" neighborhood hosts a small, yet full-line grocery store with ample fresh meats (fish) and produce plus an organic natural foods section. Wine and beer selection is really unbelieveable, although I hadn't much time for either. Not to mention the famous West Side Market a short walk away! That was worth coming to Cleveland for!!! It was better than Pike's market in Seattle!!! (Starting with food and drink, you can see what my priorities are!)
Actually, my priorities are neighborhood and feeling comfortable in my surroundings in a big city. Being from a rural area in Michigan and female, I was a little nervous about Cleveland. My day was getting up in the morning, making myself breakfast, taking the bus to and from the Clinic, shopping for food, cooking in my apartment, and studying. Using the usual precautions in a city, I felt safe at the Clifford House. Jim took me for a walk at the start of my stay, pointing out all the businesses and restaurants surrounding the Clifford.
I hope to return to Cleveland just for fun and will definately stay at the Clifford House!!!

Room Tip: If you like to cook, choose the apartment. It is fully equipped, and you can purchase ample grocerie...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Thumbite
Aomori, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

Son, wife, and I enjoyed our one-night's stay in the spacious and well-furnished apartment (including a driveway parking space). Jim gave us a warm welcome, making us feel more like friends staying the night rather than paying guests. The B&B is just a block away from Ohio City's main thoroughfare and attractions, which I've so come to enjoy. In the morning, Jim cooked us a tasty, filling breakfast which totally met the dietary preferences which we had voiced at the time we made our reservation. While I can't vouch for a perfect stay -- on account of our son's report of minor discomforts with the sleep sofa and spare bed in the apartment -- I greatly enjoyed Jim as a host and the Clifford House as a base for Ohio City's numerous charms and attractions. I would be happy to return to Clifford House and I highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Andrew1234
jayycee4, Owner at Clifford House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 11, 2011
Readers should note that the beds in question are a sleep sofa and a roll-away! A higher rate for a second room with a regular bed would have resulted in more comfort.

I thank the guest for an otherwise positive review.
Hamilton, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a weekend in Cleveland with another couple. The purpose of our trip was to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

We selected the Clifford House B&B as our place to stay overnight based on the location - and it was perfect! Lots to do within walking distance of the bed and breakfast - great restaurants/bars/grocery store etc and only a 5 minute drive from the RRHF.

We were fortunate enough to be able to rent the selfcontained apartment attached to the Clifford house. This was perfect for two couples sharing the space. It had two very clean bathrooms, two beds (one upstairs and one down), plus a full sized kitchen.

The apartment was comfortable and cozy - and we would have been more than happy to spend several nights there. Our only complaint were the mattresses on the two beds - both couples commented that the mattresses have "dips" in the centre which causes you to roll into the centre of the mattress. So my suggestion to Jim the owner would be to look into replacing them with newer ones to improve your guests nights sleep.

The breakfast served the next morning was wonderful - more than enough food. Coffee was great too.

Overall the place was great and we would return again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank warmst
Sorry for your discomfort about the bed. You fail to mention one bed was a sleep sofa!

Both the sleep sofa and the bed mattress are newer quality products. Most guests find the full bed mattress in the bedroom very comfortable, and tell me so. The sleep sofa on the other hand is a sleep sofa. A higher guest rate for a second room with a regular bed would have addressed the issue. Sharing the Suite with the sleep sofa was considerably less. Most guests have commented on the comforable nature of the sleep sofa; better than expected.