“Extraordinary museum; well worth a trip!”

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
Ranked #5 of 181 things to do in Cleveland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is alive with the energy, passion and the spirit of music we celebrate. The 150,000 square-foot museum features seven floors, four theaters for films and ever-changing exhibits - plus, you can even rent the Rock Hall for a private event. Tour at your leisure. You can spend as little as an hour, or up to an entire day exploring all the Rock Hall's exhibits. Right here in Cleveland, Ohio, you will find the only museum devoted to the story of rock and roll! Photos (w/o flash) and video encouraged!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator
Chicago, Illinois
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Extraordinary museum; well worth a trip!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have been to most Smithsonians, the British Museum, the Louvre & other great art museums, and the RockHall is my very favorite museum anywhere. I have now been there three times, and their exhibits are always well-done (their present exhibit of the Rolling Stones' 50 years is terrific), and they always display artifacts are extremely interesting, and often very rarely seen. You can spend hours in the Hall, just listening to your favorite musical memories, watching films, and watching clips of various musicians being inducted into the Hall. As both an historian, and an avid fan of rock and roll, I couldn't more highly recommend this museum.

3 Thank Gerry L

• Turkish first
Long Island, New York
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“I could have spent all day there!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I cannot say enough good things about this museum. We parked in a lot around the corner (next to the science museum) and were able to get our parking pass validated and paid $8 for parking.

We arrived about 10:15 am and the line for tickets wasn't long at all. We started downstairs and waited about 10 min to get into the "Mystery Train" film which explores the birth of Rock n Roll. There were many, many fabulous exhibits. My mom and dad loved the Elvis memorabilia. They had a nice showcase of Beatles memorabilia also.

One of my favorite sections was the "Legends of Rock n Roll" they had Michael Jackson's glove, a few of his outfits, The Supremes' gorgeous dresses, Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac's costumes, Jimi Hendrix costumes as well as many other artists.

We saw some of the Induction ceremony highlights and inductees film located on level 3 but didn't get a chance to watch them fully as we were a bit pressed for time.

On the first Level, they had a dress from Katy Perry on display and a dress from Rhianna on display.

Pink Floyd's "The Wall" on level 4 was pretty cool. Seeing handwritten lyrics of famous songs was a highlight as well.

Currently there is a Rolling Stones special exhibit on levels 5 and 6. I'm not a big Rolling Stones fan but do appreciate their music and you have to give them credit for being around forever. I enjoyed looking at their memorabilia as well.

The gift shop, located on level 1 had some really cool shirts. I couldn't decide which one to buy as one was nicer than the next. I ended up buying two great shirts.

We spent about 4 hours at the museum;we needed to leave to drive back home to NY. I would definitely go again and highly recommend it for any music lover. I even appreciated exhibits of artists that I don't particularly care for like Metallica and ZZ Top.

We ranged in age from late forties to 80 and everyone in our group had a fabulous time.

1 Thank stellina1936
Wilton, California
647 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 786 helpful votes
“Worth the wait to be in Cleveland for this”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

After reading the prior TA reviews we arrived at opening and parked in the garage at the science center and walked over to the beautiful building. Once inside you enter a different world. After 4 hours had quickly passed we realized you could spend many more listening to the interpretive music set ups. We did watch the Mystery Train (12 min) video with only one group going in before us. I felt it was very worthwhile and put a context on what was to come. I particularly enjoyed the Cities and Sounds section including Liverpool/London, Memphis, Detroit, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Seattle. I thought the collections were varied and fairly inclusive. The Legends of R&R was somewhat a fashion show of stage costumes. (I had no idea how tiny Jagger was!) That wasn't the best area. Totally enjoyed the Sun and Atlantic Records displays and history. I had never given much thought to the Midwest or Cleveland scenes and was impressed with the representation of their contributions. I think the most fun area was the "haters of rock" wall, reminiscent of reefer madness [--]. Funny to see even current politicos making fools of themselves. We positively loved the Les Paul Gallery, what an innovator. We appreciated the Alan Freed display and studio, but very much missed seeing more than a picture of the great promoter Bill Graham. I thought the Elvis exhibit was minimalized. The introduction of transistor radios and the big radio stars was close to home and we boomers got our first exposure during that time and its sequey (sp?) into the world of videos. The inductee areas were very impressive and moving with our particular favorites shown being inducted on video, the signature wall walk was totally cool. The two floors dedicated to the Stones was quite thorough in the collection of traveling trunks, clothes and especially the guitars used. The gift shop is large but the clothes are sized ridiculously small. They should consider the size of the average person today. I wear a large and I couldn't fit into a 2XL t-shirt, really? We are glad we went and checked this off the ol' bucket list.

Omaha, Nebraska
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Awesome if you are into Rock...not so great for young children”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This museum was an amazing collection of rock memorabilia. Imagine every Hard Rock Café in the world under one roof. They have clothing and belongings to every singer and group from 1920's on. My husband was in heaven. He loved it. I didn't mind it, especially the big collection of Beatles and Rolling Stones memorabilia. My two kids (ages 3 and 7) however were bored out of their minds. They didn't understand what was so great about old clothes. We would have loved to spend several hours here, but left after only an hour and half because our kids were at the end of their good behavior limits, My suggestion is to definitely go if you enjoy Rock collections, but leave the kids at home.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank fireysunrise
San Francisco, California
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Fascinating and Fun”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

By coming in the morning we did not have to wait in line long. I recommend parking in the garage across the street, as it is closest to the museum. You may see a long line for the movie on the first floor, but DO NOT watch this one, it is just clips without narration. Instead watch the movie higher upstairs about the inductees because it is more interesting and requires more time. Feel free to stop in the gift store, they have good selection and variety.

1 Thank TheBigMuffin