“Poor service with private room”

Osteria de Valerio and Al
Ranked #151 of 1,835 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: Italian
North Ridgeville, Ohio, United States
“Poor service with private room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

A group of us visited this resturant this weekend(Saturday 10/13/12). This was my first visit, we were escorted through an apartment building to a back room which they call the "Tuscan room"....more like a dungeon I thought. Without dragging this out, I'll give the quick disappointments; requested bread 5 times, never received...drinks took forever (pricey), service was snippy and unattentive, price far exceeded the quality of food, server took it upon himself to add $10 to everyone's bill for appetizers the host ordered. In the restaurant business it's food and service that make you successful...this place had neither! To give you a better idea how disappointed I am, I have NEVER written a review but though if I saved one person from this disappointment, I would have done my good deed for this week!

• Visited October 2012

Rocky River, Ohio, United States
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Great food and service. We had the osso bucco and spinach and cheese stuffed raviolis. Loved them both! Wish I would have found this place sooner! We will be going back very soon.

“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Loved that the restaurant was tucked away and not a franchise. The food was wonderful and we loved it.

Visited September 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“frequently patronized - hit and miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

I was introduced to this place several years ago, and I have frequently patronized it on a regular bases, primarily for the performers Rick and Sharonna. The food is average to good but inconsistent; the price is always consistence at the high end. It can be difficult to get service at the bar, busy or not. I noticed the restaurant is always a little dirty, and the bathrooms are always dirty. The entertainment atmosphere is very good when the performers Rick and Sharonna are on the venue; it helps distract from the proprietor who I’m sure has a Napoleon complex. If he’s not insulting minority patrons, then you can typically find him manhandling a female customers. Its embarrassing to witness and it seems like he’s serious even though he laughs about his antics. There is a good old boys code among the regulars and the staff that turns a blind eye to these offensive infractions. That aside, if you choose to eat there bring your check book and stay off the radar off the owner and which point you may actually have a good time … if Rick and Sharonna are performing that is.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank emily j
“Depends on your standards for Italian Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

I generally don't eat Italian in restaurant cuz it sucks compared to what Italian food is supposed to be (and I'm not Italian). Osteria falls into this category. If you are not an Italian food snob, you'll like this place. If you like authentic Italian, don't expect much from the food.

Saying that, the service was fantastic and the wine list was superb. The place is below ground level and you could quite easily miss it. On the way in, take the door to the right. The restaurant is in the basement and it almost feels like you are in a secret restaurant. We had a good time and my wife customized her main course which I'm sure made it taste better than the menu standard (you may want to do that). The complimentary bread was hot and good and it came with a spicy cream cheese which I really liked.

• Visited June 2012