“Truth Be Told, I wanted to love this Hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed May 22, 2010

I hadn't stayed in a Holiday Inn since I was a child and a 30 year old( now 47). I was excited to try the chain after such a long period of time. I kept readings the reviews, even the negative ones. Hoping that we would get fortunate with a great stay and comfortable room.
Here are the specifics, the front desk staff very good and extremely helpful. Quoting from another reviewer, the walls are paper thin so be kind to your neighbors. Ol- fashioned elevators with dings on the inside of them. The key card to start the elevator is necessary since the elevators start anyway. This should be tightened up for better security.. Bathroom is quite regular and remarkable, with a long counter top, bad gouting, loose faucet crumbling fading yellowed wallpaper. The bedroom is enormous. The size is amazing it makes up for some of the minor problems. The beds and quite comfortable.
There are dings on some of the furniture pieces in the room and an older TV, dusty floors. Old Cleveland Visitor magazine on dresser. Lightning in room was quite good lamps placed properly for good illumination. Walls of room good overall. Room windows need washing on outside. Curtains may need updating. I had hoped this was one of the Holiday Inns with the updating. All in all the hotel is good. It has trendy feel which is probably due to its housing in an old bank. Amazing lobby area.The diner Sammys in the lobby had an amazing breakfast. Disappointed it wasn't opened on Sundays. Took forever to find a place to eat. The Holiday inn breakfast pretty bad. Our room was 707. Maybe higer floor rooms are more updated. Once the updating gets to this hotel it will rate pretty amazing.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,070)

Reviewed May 3, 2010

The Holiday Inn Express, Downtown Cleveland is located in a beautiful remodeled bank builiding, and had the largest hotel room I've stayed in in my life! The location is great as well (just up the street from the House of Blues, and a couple blocks from the stadium).

Every member of the staff I encountered was extremely friendly and helpful, and made for a delightful stay.

The breakfast buffet wasn't anything really special, but it was satisfactory enough for a couple days. The real standout was the cinnamon rolls!! Don't miss them.

The room was huge, as others here have noted, and was nice and clean. I noted no funny odors as some here have mentioned. The beds were quite comfortable and piled with pillows. The rooms are so big the addition of a comfortable chair or recliner would have been nice - the only chair was a straightback at the desk, but that's really kind of minor.

The only big drawback I encountered was that the walls seem to be paper thin. If you stay here, in the heart of downtown, you can expect some traffic noise of course. What I didn't expect to hear was the entire conversation of my rowdy neighbors who returned home at 2:40a.m., after bar I imagine. Heard the dicussion of the women they'd met, I know what kind of pizza they called for, and I know what credit card they put it on. I didn't believe they were being overly loud or I would have contacted the desk - they were just wide awake, I wasn't, and the walls filtered nothing.

So be Warned: I believe this hotel would be a nighttime nightmare on concert or sporting weekends - be prepared to stay awake.

Overall it was a wonderful, comfortable stay - just wish I'd gotten more sleep.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel with my family a number of times, and think its a great spot. As others note, the staff is very helpful and has set me up various times with various things. I like that you can leave your car outside for more than a few seconds while you get to your room, and the parking next door is easy and convenient as urban parking goes.
The best strip of bars and eateries in the city as far as I can tell is about a block away, and the drive from the Rock Hall (where we often go) is quick and easy.
The rooms we've had have always been gigantic. Very wide and very high ceilings. Almost too big, but who ever thought you'd say that about a hotel room?

The small negatives are that the breakfast is a bit lame even by the standards of holiday inn/comfort in. But you know, its about what you'd expect and maybe I would like it better on a different day. The hotel does smell a little weird in the rooms, as some have noted, and on our floor (13th) there was no laundry or ice machine. Had to go to different floor. Pretty small potatos though.

Overall, I love this spot for ease of use and basic access to the City. The folks at the front desk are really helpful and seem to really revel in helping out, so that was good too.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2010

We stayed here during a 5-State road trip. There is no parking on site, you have to park in a public parking lot about 75m away. This HIE is located in a charming Art Deco building with a fancy lobby. The rooms are find and breakfast is included. The location is excellent, in the heart of Cleveland.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank travelpassion
Reviewed February 7, 2010

Booked online for two dbls but checked in only to see one king. Travelled w/ bro so not good. Sold out also not good. Shaun & Steven were great front desk staff & and got it fixed.

Room was great! Super clean! Cool reuse of a great old building. Walking distance from Q, bars and restaurants.

Great place to stay while doing Cleveland. Highly recommend.

Reviewed January 6, 2010

This HI Express is directly next to East 4th St and a walk Downtown, to the Theatre District and a long walk to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Browns Stadium. Around the corner from Quicken Arena.
Now, it would normally be a good thing to be close to all the sporting arenas. Not in this case. This HI is in a former old bank, so it looks classy, but the clientele are anything but. We stayed on a Saturday night - very big mistake. The walls are very thin and normally this kind of thing doesn't bother me in the slightest, but this night, people were actually screaming, so we didn't get a wink of sleep. There were many, many rooms filled with boozing morons. The room next door to ours didn't stop until 5.30am - when they were arrested after having a furniture-smashing fight with a neighbouring room. Calls to reception only resulted in action when the fight started.
When I addressed this with the reception the next morning, a promise to have the manager speak to me about it was unfulfilled. One of the desk clerks was one of the most sensationally rude people I have ever spoken to. The laundry has no washing powder facilities. The breakfast should be the same as every other HI Express, but the eggs were not nice, the juice watered down and most items continually running out. The water in the shower was cold - I was told this was due to the volume of guests staying and using at the same time. Now, I hear this excuse a lot, but I assure you, the water pressure wasn't just poor - the water was COLD. This hotel seems high-volume all the time, which tells me that most people who stay there have cold showers - why not fix the problem?
Incidentally, the free wi-fi rarely worked properly, had to have reception "reboot" it multiple times but it would bump us out and not let us log in. Seemed to me from other customers complaining that it's an ongoing issue.
One okay note - a front desk clerk called Steven was really nice, he sorted out a booking problem for us with no fuss whatsoever. It's a shame that he looked a little stressed most of the time, as he really wanted to help us with the laundry and provide us with some powder from their laundry, but he forgot - and forgot to tell the manager to call us - but he seemed genuine, just looked stressed at having to deal with the multitude of morons staying at the hotel and the other desk clerk, who had no desire to assist anyone whatsoever (allegedly, she was a "customer service champion"??).
So, really, only stay here on non-sports nights if you sleep like a rock and get a really good deal.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank letyoursoulglo
Reviewed December 30, 2009

Mixed business and short winter vacation, brought family along December 28-31. Needed to be close to the Quicken Areana (as to not have to drive downtown during winter snow season) so the location on Euclid is perfect. Short walk to the Fourth Street shops, restaurant, bars (including House of Blues, Comedy Club and Bowling Alley). Good pubs in the area including Flannery's and Morioritie's (sp) and Harry Buffalo.

We are on the 15th floor with a lakeview room. The room has high ceilings, separate kitchenette, sitting-room, bedroom with two queen-sized beds (rooms are not physically separated by doors). Do not notice any strange odors as reported in previous posts. Hotel is beautiful. Elevators are small but efficient and all appear to be operational. There is only a check-in desk in the lobby but second floor mezzanine has sitting areas, televisions, computer and dest, pool tables and plenty of space.

Staff is friendly and attentive (slight issue yesterday getting bedding for pull-out, but that was resolved in the morning). This was due to a late check-in and upgrade. Sammy"s breakfest and lunch (in the lobby) is excellent for meals. There is also a deli and news stand off the lobby as well. There is limited street-front space for guest drop-off and pick-up so be prepared to make a few laps if you arrive at busy times.

Tip: Parking is off of Euclid on Sixth (enter garage, pick up ticket and self-park) be sure to bring the ticket with you to check-in. Desk staff will validate the ticket and then you can use it to exit (this is a totally automatic garage with no attendent).

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family