“great place, lousy fitness area”

Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed April 2, 2014

The Holiday Inn downtown had a superb staff ;0) Very accomodating and friendly. The rooms and hotel were beautiful and have awesome character.
My only major complaint (in which others would concur) was the sub-par quality of the workout area. It is very tiny to begin with and had minimal equipment. Both morning when I utilized the rooms only half of the equipment was in working status (1 treadmill and 1 bike that was ready to go at any minute). The free weights and machines were okay but this room is not meant to hold more than a few people at a time. In this day and age and with the demographics of your clientele Holiday Inn should be servicing these a-type personalities. Many people who came in and out of the workout area that day left disgruntled (I counted at least 5 for each day). These customers took the time to get up early and go work out. When they came into the room and realized that machines were not working and no staff members were available to assist, H.I. left many workout people disenchanted.
Fix these issues and you will be number one in my book ;0) and I'm sure others as well.

Room Tip: choose a higher level for a beautiful view
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
MRP22, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Krinstina N,
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your feedback. We really appreciate it! I will be sure to print out your review and share it at our next managers meeting. We hope we can serve you better next time.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown

Reviewed April 2, 2014

I would agree with other reviews that this hotel is very well located to take in all of the downtown Cleveland sites including the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, football and baseball games, restaurants and shops on foot. Nice walk to just about everything and never felt unsafe. Lots of police presence on the streets and also noticed drones in the air over the main public space. The hotel is situated in a lovely old converted bank building and the rooms are very attractive and unusual with high ceilings/windows and original hardwood floors. Reasonably clean, and the bed was very comfortable. Check in desk service wasn't spectacular - pretty indifferent but quick and they could recommend some local restaurants. Breakfast was poor at best. Cold scrambled eggs and congealed gravy with biscuits. Went elsewhere after the first morning. Wi fi not great. Security in the hotel seemed good during the day but non existent after about 9pm which I found strange. Woke at 2am one morning to the sound of a loud scary argument in the hallway outside our room between 2 males that went on for quite some time with doors crashing and slamming. No apparent security in sight. Sound in the rooms from the hallways a bit loud due to wood floors and echo. Otherwise a decent stay and probably the most central of all Cleveland hotels.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank restaurantcritic_13

restaurantcritic_13,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. We love to hear your feedback! The comments you made about security are quite concerning, considering our goal is to make sure our guests feel safe and relaxed while they are in a different unfamiliar city. If you can please e-mail or call me with the details of your stay, I would really appreciate it. It will help me better understand what happened that evening of your stay. Thank you again for staying with us. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you better next time!

216.443.1000 ext 4402

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Sitting smack dab in the middle of town, the location is excellent. I left my car and walked everywhere, even down to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The front desk service was indifferent, but the porter/doorman was fabulous. The check-in in desk sits in the middle of the long lobby and feels a bit temporary.

My room had very high ceilings and tall windows. The bed was super comfortable, the pillows heavenly.

The jacuzzi sits just outside the bathroom proper and I was able to watch TV while in the tub!

With a sink, microwave, fridge and coffee maker I was very comfortable. The room more than made up for the lack of service.

There is free WIFI - however it was useless, too weak to work. I had to take use the public computers near the free breakfast area.

Self-parking is available in the building next door for a fee.

I recommend this hotel when visiting Cleveland.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ThePackedBag

ThePackedBag,
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your amazing feedback. We really appreciate it! The pictures are fantastic! We hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again soon. Next time you are coming to Cleveland, let us know!

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I was told by the front desk receptionist when I arrived after 930pm with no help at the front door bellman for luggage (he was on the cellphone attached to his ear) that there is no valet and I had to park my car around the block and walk back over to the hotel. I am self sufficient woman but I am telling you I did not feel safe when taking my car to the parking garage. I asked the receptionist at the front desk if I should be concerned she said No not here well...I saw two suspicious people walking felt like I was being followed and someone else in the stairwell asleep. Lastly I get to my room and find hair in the bed and all over the bathroom! I was moved to another room -- higher floor. Not a property I will return to!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Mindy R

Mindy R,
Thank you for staying with us. We are so sorry to hear you had such an awful experience but we really really appreciate your feedback. Because of feedback like yours, we are now going to start valet service really soon here and as of last week, we have a part-time bellmen, Brandon, as well. I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you better in the future and again, thank you so much for your feedback.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Beautiful room with double beds. Wide open space with hard wood floors made the it seem quite spacious. Clean rooms and great location. Close to the HOB! Please consider staying downtown and walk to the great attractions.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank kcatjohnson

kcatjohnson,
Thank you for staying with us! We are glad to see you were able to take advantage of our hotels central location. We appreciate your business and the time you took to share your experience. We hope to serve you again real soon!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed 3 nights and visited Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. Visited the "House Of Blues" and enjoyed a nice meal for two and some music from a local gentlemen. We were upgraded to a suite which was very much a surprise and very welcome. We had a nice large hot tub and a very large separate shower. Breakfast was fair and the price was right. They thanked me for being a platinum member and gave both of us a small welcome package. Hardwood floors throughout with 12 foot ceilings. It is an old bank. Fast elevators and always available. Such a pleasure compared to so many hotels where you wait for extended periods to get a car. Managers welcome with drinks Mon. thru Thurs. A direct walk down ninth of sixth right to the Rock and Roll hall of Fame. A great value for this excellent location. Right in the heart of Cleveland. We took the Metro light rail from the airport and had only a few blocks to walk after getting off. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Higher rooms quieter
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Reggie S

Reggie S,
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is truly a gift. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again soon!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

My boyfriend and I choose to stay at this hotel on the way home from roadtrip because their suites feautured an in-room hot tub. Little did we know we would be more impressed with more than just the 2 person hot tub! The room had high ceilings (the hotel is in an old bank) and was very spacious. Everything was upgraded and we had a great view of downtown Cleveland. The location was within walking distance of any destination you would want. The free breakfast had a great selection too: eggs, biscuits and gravy, sausage, personal waffles, cold cereal, fruit and more. The only small cons would be the jets in the hottub were a little week and the hotel said they validated parking, but it still costed $15 which is what the sign said on the way into the ramp.

Room Tip: Go for the suite -- the character and size of the room make it worth it!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovetotravel91bennie
MRP22, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dana M,
Thanks for staying with us! It is awesome to see that you appreciated the location as much as we do. Lunch time around here is a diets nightmare sometimes! Thanks for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We hope we see you again soon!

Holiday Inn Express