“Fantastic Location”

Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Daniels, West Virginia
“Fantastic Location”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My friends are I were concerned about choosing this hotel after reading several reviews on TripAdvisor. However, we were pleasantly surprised with the cleanliness of our room. The hardwood floors were nice a nice addition and appeared very clean. This is a fantastic hotel for the money spent. The staff appear to be slightly disorganized, but were very friendly and helpful during our two night stay. One person at check-in suggested several restaurants in the East 4th Street area and printed off several menus for us to browse beforehand. The bathroom was clean and newly remodeled. The king bed was comfortable, as were the linens. The location of this hotel is fantastic if you are interested in the restaurants on East 4th Street. We did have difficulty finding a spa in the area and ended up going to the spa located inside the Hyatt Arcade hotel. There was only one issue that caused some inconvenience - when booking our room we chose the suite with 2 king beds. Upon checking in, we were told that there were actually no rooms with 2 king beds in the entire hotel. I had in my hand the printed computer confirmation stating 2 king beds. Thankfully the pull-out sofa was comfortable. We would stay there again. The value is incredible.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank swcii
Hope C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Please call the hotel and let me know where you booked your room so I can get this corrected. I have not found it. I am very sorry you were disappointed and glad it worked out.

Thanks so much for staying with us!

Hope Carroll

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Arabic first
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here one night this past weekend and would definitely stay here again. Older building but our room was simply outstanding, and I was sorry we had to leave. The king bed was way too comfortable and and I didn't want to get up in the morning. Awesome shower, awesome jacuzzi tub, great views, and loved the hardwood floors. We were in 1309 and I would request this room again without question. Great location and it's an easy walk to all the attractions downtown. Less money than the other hotels nearby, and well worth a try if you're in town.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
I love the Hospitality business just for reviews like this. Knowing we did it right. Please come again!!!

Mount Carmel, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My family just visited Cleveland for the first time, primarily to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I was happy to find that this hotel was centrally located to a variety of attractions and restaurants. The parking was nearby and reasonably priced. The hotel room was spacious and clean. My children and husband enjoyed a filling breakfast and I was thrilled that they offered healthy, lowfat options. Most of all, the staff were friendly and helpful. I would definately recommend staying here!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind remarks. We look forward to having you back. Please come back to see more of Cleveland. This city has so much to offer.

Thanks again,
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed in this downtown hotel so we could walk to the Indians game. Great location and a really cool old building. My husband and son-in-law went to the room to take our luggage up. They turned the air down so it would be cooler. When we got back to our room around 11:30 p.m. the room was so hot. The temp was 80. We worked with the thermostat and couldn't get it to go below 78. So my husband called down and told them, The girl said someone would be right up. No one showed. Didn't sleep good in that kind of heat. The next morn we told the front desk people and they gave us a free night for another time. Glad they took care of us, but it didn't help us sleep good the night before.

Room Tip: top floor so you can look out on city
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
I apologize for the air conditioning problem in your room. Unfortunately, when you turn a unit down to 60 it causes the unit to freeze up. I am sorry that someone did not come to your room in the middle of the night, though. What should have happened is the Front Desk should have told you to turn the unit off for 20 minutes and restart the unit so the compressor would kick on. We have added a nightly maintenance/security to help with these problems.

Toledo, OH
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel the weekend of July 20, 2012. The location couldn't be any better! You are within a 10 min walk of everything -Quicken Loans arena, Progressive Field, Public Square, Terminal Tower/Horseshoe Casino, 4th Street Bars/Restaurants, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and Cleveland Browns Stadium. Not to mention shopping, such as the Galleria, Arcade, and Tower City. The hotel itself is in a historic building with great, tall ceilings, big chandeliers, etc. We had a corner room on the 11th floor and the room was huge -plenty of space for your things, plus a microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker, 2 desk areas, and a large closet. The room was clean and well-appointed, the bed was comfortable and we got lots of TV channels. I would have given this hotel 5-stars, but there was one problem: the breakfast buffet. I don't know if they were short-staffed (maybe someone called in?) or if they think 1 person on a Saturday morning after a game and concert was enough staff to have on hand....BUT I have never seen a sadder breakfast buffet at a HI (and I have stayed at probably 20+ HI's) There was one woman who was trying so hard to keep up with demand, she was running her butt off, but all the food trays and coffees were constantly empty. She would run back and get a tray of eggs and in the meantime, the bacon and biscuits would be gone. So she'd run back and bring those out, then the pancake maker would need batter and the coffees would need refilling. Then she'd run to empty the trash -vicious circle! I felt so bad for this woman, yet I was hungry, and couldn't get anything I wanted -I am not exaggerating when I say that over the 30 min I was down there, 90%+ of the food trays were completely empty. This would not dissuade me from staying here again, but really, management should have pulled someone off housekeeping to help her or got down there and helped themselves. Things like this bug me! But overall, a great hotel at a superb location.

Room Tip: If you get a room on floor 11 or higher, you can see Progressive Field and the Q.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveling-gal129
Thank you for bringing this to my attention I think at the time you stayed we did not have enough Breakfast attendants. Now on busy days we have 3. One is cooking constantly, one is re-filling and one is cleaning. It is a learning experience and we are doing a much better job. Please join us again.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Before checking in I called to make sure we would have a crib for our four month old baby. Long story short after many lies of "it's on it's way" the clerk knocked on our door at 10:30pm in tears saying they had no cribs at that hotel. So our child slept in a dresser drawer on the floor. What a disgrace this place is! Room wasnt ready at 430pm to check in to. They brought a fridge and microwave to the room and plugged it in around 6pm. Hair and dust on floors. I wouldn't walk on the floors without shoes on. Beggars outside the front door of hotel. Front desk girls had no clue about the downtown Cleveland area. Paint speckles all over the floor in the so called honeymoon sweet. It was one disappointment after another. We planned on staying here two nights but checked out after one as soon as possible!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Lady3312
Hope C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
I really don't know how to respond to you and I don't want to make excuses because being a mother myself, I am and was equally upset. It is very embarassing for me that this happened to you and your family at our new hotel.

We are in the process of training our front desk team about the city and hotel amenities. I have ordered new cribs and hope to have them within the next 30 days and we are working on getting the paint speckles up.

I sincerely apologize for your experience. We will continue to get better and grow from our mistakes. I will read your review to my Front Desk Staff at our next meeting, and set procedures in place to ensure this does not happen again.

novi, michigan
Reviewed July 19, 2012

For our booking price I was not expecting much. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Loved the hardwood floors and the "older building ambience." Walked 2 mins to the House of Blues for an awesome Offspring concert and next day walked 10 mins to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (that was awesome!). Recommend Guy's pizza for a delcious $1.50 slice (6th and Superior). Beds were comfy, my 13 yr old son said the beds were very nice and he had a really good sleep.
Now, dont get me wrong. There is certainly room for criticism. I am writing this section for the manager (who appears to be reading and responding to reviews, a practice that I usually like as long as they don't start getting too defensive). Reception is slow as mentioned by many although the staff is friendly. There was no concierge so the one lady that was having her return flight checked for another day basically held up check-in for 10 mins (there are only two lines). Also, a couple of couches/chairs or something to sit on in the lobby would be good cause there is nothing there (you could venture into one of the areas adjoining the lobby to sit down but I did not even see that initially). Was difficult to figure out parking cause there was no doorman and my friend TIm went in to ask but was faced by the long reception line and basically called them from his phone to find out and I still ended up parking in the wrong structure (they want you to use the 6th street structure but I ended up in the Euclid parking structure across from the House of Blues but that is really my fault). Also, the lobby and bathrooms in the rooms seemed a little dull so more lighting may be nice.

Anyway, we were delighted with the room for the price, the location is fabulous and breakfast was included (not bad for the price but I probably would not have paid for it).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank dhirjasu
Hope C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and I am truly sorry for the confusion about parking. Our location is awesome and the hotel is beautiful but I totally agree with everything you fussed at us about. I can't hire a doorman yet but am working on it. We opened on June 5th of this summer so I am still trying to improve some of these items. We added the Lobby next to the front desk so our guests could sit down. Because we are a public building we cannot have furniture out front by the check in desk. The lights in the lobby are original so we are in the process to having them lowered to clean and put brighter wattage lights in them. I have a lighting company looking for the glass also. I have a printer that will be installed in the Business Center on Monday 7/23. We had a Front Desk meeting today to address how can we be quicker at check-in. I am not trying to make excuses but my staff is new and still learning.

Please give us another opportunity to provide better and faster customer service.