WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown

Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Hollywood, FL
“good value and superb location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

My experience with Holiday Inn Express has been very good over the years, and the downtown Cleveland location proves yet again that there are affordable and very comfortable options with this chain. I stayed in a double queen room that was HUGE! Tall celings, wood floors, two huge windows overlooking Euclid Ave, comfortable beds, and a good, standard bathroom. I must admit, I like quirky old buildings and you will certainly get that character here, but everything was renovated and very clean. You can walk to all the action on 4th and 6th streets.

Room Tip: I loved room 308 - double queen. It is a corner room and HUGE with nice view.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kmccolli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

I wanted to like this hotel. There was nothing really overwhelmingly bad about it, but there were just lots of little things. For just a night or two, it would totally be acceptable at a good price. For 5 nights for work, I was ready to leave long before I was able to.

The employees seemed very nice and accomodating. I cannot fault them at all. Except one, who started work at 5 AM on Tuesday morning in the employees only room next to my room and banged around very loudly for what seemed like 20 minutes. Everyone I saw face to face was very nice though.

The walls are very thin, which I discovered at 2:30 AM on Wednesday morning when the people next door seemed to be having a party. I later noticed that I could hear their TV when mine wasn't on. As long as I had the A/C fan or TV going, I could block them out though.

Speaking of the A/C, it was very loud when it cycled on. More than once the noise it made startled me awake.

Other niggling complaints I had:
Building not secured.
Old TVs (not flatscreen).
No luggage holder in the room!!
Crappy internet - during evening it was very hard to connect and extremely slow.
Unpleasant smelling toiletries - like licorice mixed with pepermint.
My bathtub faucet drizzled the entire time.

Other than that, it was alright. The room was very clean. The bed was comfy enough. The hardwood floors were pretty. The water pressure was good. The breakfast had food that was not terrible. The location was awesome. The price was fair.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank onlyaymie
Bozeman Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

We stayed for 4 nights following surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. We needed adjoining rooms and the Holiday Inn Express went out of their way to get us what we needed.
The room was huge with beautiful hardwood floors and very comfortable beds with upgraded bedding. The breakfast was very nice with eggs, sausage or bacon, biscuits, cereals, cinnamon rolls and beverages. The hotel is 1/2 block from the popular 4th street restaurants and close to the downtown mall. Since my husband was not mobile following surgery, several of the restaurants delivered to hotel. Parking is around the corner and costs 14.00 USD per day with in and out privledges. Our TV remote was not working and someone came with a new one within 10 minutes....I think that is good service. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. The Cleveland Clinic bus stops right out side the door and will take you directly to the hospital. Great hotel!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank bandes
Marion, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

Our first trip to a hotel in downtown Cleveland. Stayed two nights. As the others have said in their reviews check in really could use a door man out front. We parked in the public parking garage next door. Check in was ok. Room was clean, no smells. Look a the photos. Only drawback no pool. We will be back

Canton, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

My Fiance and I made our reservations online. In the 'special request' area, I noted that I need a wheelchair accessible room. When we checked in, the man at the desk told us that we weren't able to request a wheelchair accessible room online-only by phone......there was nothing to that affect stated on the website. What would be the purpose of a 'special request' area?! When we entered the room, I immediately felt sick: thick green curtains + faded orange blankets + a purple side chair + cheap plywood looking furniture = TACKY! It resembled a room you encountered at a motel off the highway. They are in serious need of remodeling. The next morning we went to the hotel breakfast area. We had to dodge tape on a taped up elevator to ride up there. The hot breakfast was disgusting. I felt as if I were eating half food, half plastic. This place is not worth the money they request!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ErinK82
London, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

We stayed here for only 1 night thank goodness. The rooms are big and I must say very clean, loved the hardwood floors We had a 4th floor room the king size bed was awful you had to hang on to the edge or you rolled into the middle, you couldn't even lay on your back with out rolling over. The view was of the inside of 3 buildings and the fire escape was right outside our window was creepy, almost felt like someone watching all the time. . Must say check in very difficult, and not organized had to leave car parked on street to check in, they need a doorman to keep people moving in front of building. Also, like other reviews staff hanging around front lobby ( I use the term loosely) it is just a hallway. Front desk staff not friendly or accommodating. I will not recommend this hotel, there a alot better in area. For a holiday inn express I was disappointed.

1 Thank baxterreilly
Binghamton, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

Bank converted to hotel...wood floors and very high ceilings make interesting. Breakfast was good as well...but location is perfect for Rock & Roll, stadiums, and access to a good morning jog along lake Erie. Minor flaws...not every floor's ice machine worked when we were there. But we did find a winner on the 3rd try:). We never got high speed to work on our ipad ( and yes we did have and try their password). We trued in room, breakfast room and lobby.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple