“Love the historic property!”

Residence Inn Cleveland Downtown
Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Florida
“Love the historic property!”
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We stayed here for six nights with another couple in a two bedroom suite. Everything was great during our stay. It was like having our own apartment that someone else came in and cleaned up. We had the kitchen area so that we could have snacks and drinks, a table large enough to play cards on and room to stretch out. The breakfast buffet in the morning was very good and everyone enjoyed the ease of having the morning meal before taking off for sight-seeing and the gymnastics meets. We were there for two nights for the dinner snacks provided which really helped with the costs of the trip. The building is beautiful and all were glad to see that such an incredible place had been restored. We even took advantage of the pool tables for a couple of games one night!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed January 12, 2011

Got an excellent deal through priceline and was very very happy when I got to the hotel. It was really a solid place, great location in downtown Cleveland, right across from the Quicken Loans Arena and near some solid restaurants. Parking was a little far away as they were renovating their garage but not a huge deal at all.

Room was large, bed was okay, the desk space was really nice and the chair was quite comfortable. Room was quiet. Breakfast in the morning was surprisingly good.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed December 21, 2010

I really struggled with where to stay when our family planned a holiday reunion in Cleveland. I like the Marriott chain but this hotel really seemed to get mixed reviews. If you are going to a sporting event in downtown Cleveland this would be a great choice. If you're going to be in town when the weather is warm 4th Street looks like a lot of fun.
The good things:
7. Nice "library" type room off the main lobby
8. Billiard room w/ two tables off lobby -- fun for our family
9. Beautiful historic building with the arcade in the middle
The not so good things:
1. The walk to your room can be long. We didn't mind because we enjoyed the building but if you're disabled or just don't like a long walk you need to request a room located near the lobby elevators
2. The mattress was not the nice plush Marriott mattress
3. The rooms are so big that they seem under decorated and a little cold
4. Speaking of cold.....the return air vent was directly over the bathroom vanity so the bedroom area was warm but the bathroom was frigid
5. Be sure to take advantage of the free breakfast on Sunday morning because there is NOTHING open around the hotel (other than add'l hotels)
6. The arcade is very cool architecturally but there isn't anything open in it.....made for a deserted feeling in the main halls of the hotel

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank jlnjz
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Long weekend getaway with tickets to Lake Erie Monsters & Cavs games was made even better by the great location of this hotel. Within walking distance of great restaurants on E 4th St & Q Arena. Hot breakfast included in the price of the hotel was a bonus. Staff was beyond friendly and helpful. We stayed in a King suite on the second floor in a very spacious room. Hotel is quaint and makes the most of the setting.

• Stayed November 2010
Oakville
Reviewed October 11, 2010

We just returned from a three night stay in this hotel. The free breakfast was very good and the staff are all very friendly and accommodating. Beware if you are a light sleeper ask for a room facing the back of the hotel otherwise the "night people" out on Prospect will keep you awake. There are adverts in each room for Teresa's pizza on Euclid but stay clear as they don't make your pizza the way you ordered it and they tend to be very slow, ours came blackened! This hotel is across the street from the Cav's and the Indian's and a 15 min walk from the Brown's and the Rock and Roll hall of fame. All in all a great place to stay for games. Yes you have to pay to park but $22 for 3 nights is not bad at all. Lots of bars and restaurants within a short as well.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie A
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed August 20, 2010

My brother and I spent one night here last summer before going to an Indians game. First of all, the location is ideal for going to Progressive Field (it'll always be the Jake to me), as the hotel is just a short three blocks walk to the park. The Cavs arena is right there too. Sorry, guys. Still can't believe LeBron betrayed you.

Anyhow, the location is terrific. Downtown Cleveland is a little quiet, but there are still some good restaurants nearby and the area surrounding the ballpark is loaded with bars. We had a very fun night in a few of them after the game. You're also about a 10-minute walk from the lakefront, which includes the Browns stadium and the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, which was surprisingly excellent. Well worth a trip.

The hotel itself is situated in a historic commercial building, which we liked. We also liked the affordable rate we received. It was, however, a little worn and tired. The room was fairly blah and old. Same with the bathroom. Not dirty, mind you, just not sparkling or new. I had the pull-out couch that night, and it was fine.

The staff, however, couldn't have been nicer. We got a warm greeting upon our arrival, which we appreciated. Later, after I made a small complaint to the front desk clerk (it was so minor I honestly can't remember what it was -- maybe one of the lights in our room was out?), she comped by Marriott Rewards account with so many bonus points I was able to get a free night in Vienna when I took my wife there later that summer! Very cool. Also, my brother I made very good use of the pool table the hotel has set up in a small room off the lobby. We had a blast late that night (I won, ahem), and we also took advantage of the $3 Sam Adams bottles for sale in a refrigerator in the lobby.

A fun night. We'd come back, for certain.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Lemiracle
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed July 11, 2010

On first glance, the place is really nice. It's a beautiful old historic building,originally a market many, many years ago. But, the renovations are not quite finished it seems and some of the decor seems a little dated. That is not my major concern, however! I found hair all over the bathroom counter, tub and fecal matter on the toilet seat when I arrived. Housekeeping came up and supposedly cleaned again, but then when I took a shower, there was still some mans short body hairs all over the shower walls.!!! The front desk staff was very nice in that they were prompt to offer me another room if I wanted and they claimed to award me 10,000 points to my rewards account, but I just wanted a clean room. Similarly, I don't think they ever vacuumed this room. I found loose change, scraps of paper, price tags from clothing and all sorts of other odds and ends all over. The kitchen appeared clean, but other than storing some fruit in the refrigerator and microwaving water for tea, I did not use it. The TV was fine, nothing exceptional, the usual thing. The windows were huge with room darkening drapes, except the 2nd floor faces a brick building 10 feet away. Room lighting was fine and the bed was fine. Thank good ness the linens were clean.

The breakfast room was cheerful, large and sunny with CNN on the TV and lots of good items to eat from the breakfast buffet. On the first flood is a huge den with a couple of computers for internet use 24-7. This feels like a comfortable room to hang out with family.

Parking is available and easily accesible through the basement, but I'm not sure how much it costs. Location is nice as it is 1 block from public transit and the block next door (4th street) has lovely restaurants and lots of patio seating as it is pedestrian-only. 1 block away is a fancy bowling place and a dessert bar, too.

And, before I forget, each room has a sofa bed, but there is no separation from the main bed. From my cousins I heard that the sofa bed was pretty lumpy and that one could feel the springs pretty well. For a suite, I would have preferred some sort of dividing wall between the sleeping area and the living area, but it was just 1 big room

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family