“Stunning building and wonderful host” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Brownstone Inn Downtown

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cleveland
Brownstone Inn Downtown
You added Brownstone Inn Downtown to your Saves list
Ranked #8 of 13 Cleveland B&B and Inns
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
“Stunning building and wonderful host”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My recent stay in Cleveland was enhanced by staying at the Brownstone Inn. The inn is a wonderful period building which is worth a visit in and of itself. Robin, the owner, is wonderfully knowledgeable about the city's history as well as its present. His recommendations for things to see and do while were excellent as well. He's friendly and eager to help with any queries or circumstances (my flight was cancelled, but he was there with a smile when I arrived a day late to help me get settled in). If I return to Cleveland, I'll stay here!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Erin188569

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Brownstone Inn for two nights and really enjoyed our stay. The historic building is beautiful and full of relics of Cleveland's past. The owner, Robin, is knowledgeable about the history of the city and the building itself and gives a fascinating history lesson to those who are interested. He provided us with recommendations of city sites and tips for navigating the city.

Our room was comfortable, large, and full of character. Consistent with other reviews, the room hadn't been dusted in a while but the rest of the room was clean. We had brought a laptop with us; however, be forewarned that there are no three-pronged outlets in the room (as would be expected with an historic home) so we had to use an outlet in the kitchenette to charge our laptop. That also means that there are no televisions in case you were expecting one!

Overall, it was a great stay. It was a short 5 minute drive to the theaters downtown. There isn't much directly around the B&B; however, with public transit or a car, nothing is too far away.

Room Tip: Take the advice from other travelers and go for the rooms with the ensuite bathroom!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank 000jill
novelty,ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My wife and I do not get to spend alot of time away from our business. but when we have an oppertunity and the need for a respite to just get away for the night we choose the Brownstone Inn. Robin makes everyone feel welcome and cooks up a tasty breakfast while giving you a lesson in Cleveland's vast history. You tend to linger for hours in pleasant conversation.
in addition to the food, and quiet rooms that make you sleep late due to their comfort, the inn is conveniently located to so much that Cleveland has to offer. The Playhouse Square theater district, the Indians, the Q, Trinity Cathedral, St Paul's Shrine, Dunham Tavern, and a myriad of restaurants are all whithin walking distance. We have walked back to the inn late at night from a show and find it to be a very pleasant walk no matter the hour.
We would not consider staying anywhere else ever since we discovered the Brownstone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dayton OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed at the Brownstone Inn this fall for a reasonable price along with another person. I knew it was a very old property, but I didn't realize that it also had very old furniture, some of which was very uncomfortable including the mattress in the front bedroom. It was a double, so sharing the bed proved challenging. There was dust in many locations especially on the mantle and other places that could easily be overlooked. Breakfast consisted of bacon, fried eggs, and either strawberries or asparagus. The asparagus was so oily I couldn't eat it.

The owner is a very nice person who tries to be helpful, but he manages the B&B by himself and uses a man to clean the rooms. He also manages several rentals, so he is very busy. If you are aware in advance of the situation you may encounter for a low price, you probably will enjoy the stay in Cleveland as the location is near downtown and the Cleveland Clinic. To his credit, he has had several write ups and won some awardsm but it didn't meet my expectations. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for a front bedroom as the other rooms are quite small and may not have a private bath.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank Nancy H
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This B&B is comfortable, quiet, and feels more like staying with an uncle with good taste, versus some cold, sterile lodging. The host/owner provides a nice fresh breakfast, offers enthusiastic tips on enjoying your time in Cleveland (a city that he loves) and, if time allows, can prove to be quite the raconteur. Essentially downtown, it's a hop to all of Cleveland's museums, athletic facilities, etc. Despite the urban setting, we've never had our car bothered (over several years) and always feel quite safe staying there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank BeaverBadgerBuckeye
Jacksonville Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I decided not to stay at the Wyndham Playhouse Square Hotel, across the street from where my conference was being held, after reading the reviews on this site, opting to stay at the Brownstone Inn instead, which is conveniently located near downtown, the Theater District and the University, and was so glad I did. My stay could not have been more perfect and was full of lovely surprises. This is a beautiful place, wonderfully restored and furnished in what was clearly a labor of love for the innkeeper, and very comfortable. I've been staying in B & B's for 30 years but have never met a host more personable or helpful than Robin. It was like staying with a friend who knew Cleveland inside and out. He was there when I needed him and unobtrusive otherwise.He helped me to navigate the public transportation, recommending that I take the Rapid in from the airport when we first talked on the phone, but which I never would have considered otherwise, although it could not have been easier. Cleveland has great public transportation! The inn is just a block from the bus stop, very close to downtown, and as a single woman traveling alone, I felt safe at all times.
The room and bathroom were comfortable and clean, and I even had a little sitting room. The bed was supercomfortable with great linens. The breakfasts of bacon and eggs were delicious, and Robin made those even more special with his tasty additions. Muffins, fruit and juice are also available, and I have no doubt he would have cooked something up for me had I not wanted eggs;Robin even made me an early breakfast two days in a row to accomodate my earlier schedule without my even asking and even though I told him that was not necessary. Several papers are available for guests at the breakfast table.

Robin steered me in the right direction to see the the most worthwhile sights in the time I had available. The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and the Cleveland Museum of Art are worth the trip alone, although there is so much more to see and do. He also dropped me off at my conference when time permitted, giving me an impromptu mini tour of downtown Cleveland the first morning when I had an extra 30 minutes. Robin has an impressive library of books on Cleveland history and a wealth of knowledge about Cleveland which he happily shared. He offered wine and interesting conversation in the evenings and even let me use the television in one of the empty rooms so I could watch the first Presidential debate. Excellent coffee is available super early for early birds, and Robin was also kind enough to let me use his computer to check my email. There is a common area with a refrigerator and microwave for guests to use. The bathroom was comfortably stocked with wonderful towels, hair dryer and toiletries.
I look forward to returning to Cleveland again very soon and staying here again when I have more time to explore Cleveland, including The Market. The Brownstone Inn and Robin definitely rock!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Theresa R
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in the Brownstone Inn for 5 nights and I had a pleasant stay. It is a lovely old building with nice authentic furniture inside.

Robin the owner is very nice and provides a lovely breakfast in the morning and makes sure you have everything you need. Downtown is a short 15 minute bus ride which is easy to use and the stop is very close to the B&B.

I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2012