“The Brownstone Inn Downtown is absolutely amazing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Brownstone Inn Downtown

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cleveland
Brownstone Inn Downtown
You added Brownstone Inn Downtown to your Saves list
Ranked #10 of 13 Cleveland B&B and Inns
Jacksonville Florida, United States
“The Brownstone Inn Downtown is absolutely amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I decided not to stay at the Wyndham Playhouse Square Hotel, across the street from where my conference was being held, after reading the reviews on this site, opting to stay at the Brownstone Inn instead, which is conveniently located near downtown, the Theater District and the University, and was so glad I did. My stay could not have been more perfect and was full of lovely surprises. This is a beautiful place, wonderfully restored and furnished in what was clearly a labor of love for the innkeeper, and very comfortable. I've been staying in B & B's for 30 years but have never met a host more personable or helpful than Robin. It was like staying with a friend who knew Cleveland inside and out. He was there when I needed him and unobtrusive otherwise.He helped me to navigate the public transportation, recommending that I take the Rapid in from the airport when we first talked on the phone, but which I never would have considered otherwise, although it could not have been easier. Cleveland has great public transportation! The inn is just a block from the bus stop, very close to downtown, and as a single woman traveling alone, I felt safe at all times.
The room and bathroom were comfortable and clean, and I even had a little sitting room. The bed was supercomfortable with great linens. The breakfasts of bacon and eggs were delicious, and Robin made those even more special with his tasty additions. Muffins, fruit and juice are also available, and I have no doubt he would have cooked something up for me had I not wanted eggs;Robin even made me an early breakfast two days in a row to accomodate my earlier schedule without my even asking and even though I told him that was not necessary. Several papers are available for guests at the breakfast table.

Robin steered me in the right direction to see the the most worthwhile sights in the time I had available. The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and the Cleveland Museum of Art are worth the trip alone, although there is so much more to see and do. He also dropped me off at my conference when time permitted, giving me an impromptu mini tour of downtown Cleveland the first morning when I had an extra 30 minutes. Robin has an impressive library of books on Cleveland history and a wealth of knowledge about Cleveland which he happily shared. He offered wine and interesting conversation in the evenings and even let me use the television in one of the empty rooms so I could watch the first Presidential debate. Excellent coffee is available super early for early birds, and Robin was also kind enough to let me use his computer to check my email. There is a common area with a refrigerator and microwave for guests to use. The bathroom was comfortably stocked with wonderful towels, hair dryer and toiletries.
I look forward to returning to Cleveland again very soon and staying here again when I have more time to explore Cleveland, including The Market. The Brownstone Inn and Robin definitely rock!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Theresa R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in the Brownstone Inn for 5 nights and I had a pleasant stay. It is a lovely old building with nice authentic furniture inside.

Robin the owner is very nice and provides a lovely breakfast in the morning and makes sure you have everything you need. Downtown is a short 15 minute bus ride which is easy to use and the stop is very close to the B&B.

I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2012
Christchurch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

If you want a truly unique experience then you should stay at The Brownstone Bed and Breakfast.
Not sure where to start but the house is stunning; very old and traditionally furnished. You feel like royalty staying here.
The host, Robin, is one of the most helpful people I have met anywhere in the world and will certainly go the extra mile to help you out with anything you need. I was in Cleveland to find an apartment for my daughter and Robin took me around the town to show me the different areas; where to go and not to go etc. He went over and beyond what was required. He even took us to the West Side Market.
The atmosphere was very relaxed and you feel completely at home. Robin makes breakfast and asks what you would like. You can choose from cereal, fruit, granola etc or bacon and eggs. The best part is that the coffee is made when you come downstairs even if it is early.
The beds are super comfortable. You can choose a large room with an ensuite or a smaller room with a shared bathroom. We opted for a smaller room and we shared the bathroom between us. It was perfectly adequate. We didn't come to Cleveland to spend time in the room.
I was very grateful for that and for Robin's hospitality during our stay. Thanks Robin. You are the best!

Room Tip: Depends on your budget. This place is so reasonably priced if you can afford it, go for the big roo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank DebHnz
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

This was our first trip to Cleveland, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, so we didn't quite know what to expect. Though initially concerned about the neighborhood, any reservations we had were gone by day 2. Once we got our bearings, the location felt ideal. Robin is a great host, and obviously loves Cleveland. He was most helpful getting us where we wanted to go, and keeping us out of areas we shouldn't go. He is around when you need him. The inn itself is lovingly restored to a bygone era. Our room could use a bit of spicing up, but most rooms are brightly painted and furnished to compliment the age of the inn. Breakfast was served promptly, and we felt we could linger as long as we wanted. As another review mentioned, there are no TVs in the rooms, and the WiFi is a little weak on the second floor, but somehow we managed that disconnect and survived to write this review. Check this place out. You won't be disappointed. And add half a star to this review.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SoCalBurt
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

My son and I decided to take a road trip to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Football Hall of Fame. Cleveland was the logical base for us to use, and the Brownstone Inn had good reviews. When I called Robin sounded very accommodating ...and then we arrived to a B&B and innkeeper who far exceeded our already high expectations.

The Brownstone Inn is charming, and Robin, the innkeeper has restored it beautifully. The common rooms are welcoming and well furnished with antiques that fit the rooms well, and all of the rooms have wallpapers that work well with the furnishings. The bedrooms were also well furnished, the beds were comfortable, and during December the down comforters were great! The house is immaculate. Not only is it restored, but Robin enjoys discussing the history of the house from its earliest days in its prime through its more difficult years.

Breakfast was very good and filling. Robin was very accommodating of our dietary restrictions.

One of the advantages of staying at this B&B is that Robin truly loves Cleveland. As a direct result of having stayed with Robin we visited several gems that we would not otherwise have planned to see. We left Cleveland having enjoyed the city.....which was an unexpected surprise. We left the Brownstone Inn very happy that we had chosen to stay there .

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Edmicandkids
Southern Pines, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Okay. Here's a theme for you. Facing a second lay-off in two consecutive years, the wife and I decided to visit Cleveland and feel better about our lackluster professional lives. Fans of Anthony Bourdain and wanting to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for some time, we justified the mid-winter splurge with super-cheap Southwest airfare and scheduling an interview on the east side of Cleveland before our return home.
I seemed to remember rolling into CLE a bit late, but my wife and I were good communicators with our host and had no problem parking along the street, getting our room key, the nickel tour, and slipping under the covers for a decent night's sleep. Our second story room was functional and offered us a sleepy view of the wintry street below. Being an older structure with walls and floors that could talk, staying under the covers while the winds off Lake Erie blew by outside was imperative. [ROOMS-- 3.00 out of 5]
Innkeeper Robin has an entertaining, if not admirable, toughness about him. While I'd never call him at 1:30 in the morning to make a reservation, I did find his weighing in on local history, sightseeing, political corruption, et cetera, to be a big part of our delicious breakfast. Robin seemed dialed into what's going on in the world, and more importantly, exactly how much personality to dish out without overwhelming his guests. Still, I could see where the faint of heart might get rubbed the wrong way. [SERVICE-- 4.25 out of 5; DINING-- 4.50 out of 5]
The bang for your buck is pretty high here, especially weighing in the central location to Cleveland's top-notch culinary scene, world class museums, and nearby natural beauty. Granted, we visited in the dead of winter, but now that we call the eastside of Cleveland our home, we've had a wonderful time building on this initial weekend getaway to a very-much-alive city.
[VALUE-- 4.75 out of 5]

Room Tip: Think cozy, not posh.
Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank jblane
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

The Innkeeper Robin was terrific! Absolutely excellent food and hospitality in a great location just minutes from the downtown. We were awestruck from the minute we stepped in the door. Comfortable beds, clean facilities, cozy rooms and public spaces...what more could you ask for?

Robin also keeps plenty of literature on hand - in addition to his vast knoweldge of the area - for anybody looking for fun things to do in the awesome city.

Room Tip: E-mailing is more effective than phone calls for communication.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple