“Some Good, Some Bad”

Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
kentucky
“Some Good, Some Bad”
Reviewed August 24, 2009

The good:
1) This hotel is located right in downtown. It's easy to find, easy to get to, and within a 5-10 minute walk of everything you could want (baseball, football, rock and roll, shopping, movie theatres, etc.).
2) The staff is every friendly. The valet guys are awesome. When you check in, you only have a small lane to pull into. This does cause a little traffic havoc if a lot of people arrive at the same time. Self-parking was $15 and was around the corner. Take my advice and pay the extra $3 for valet - so much easier!
3) The hotel was clean and quiet, even with a lot of guests. Our standard king was nice for the pricepoint. Air conditioner worked great. Lots of TV channels to choose from. Bathroom had corner sink and a deep tub which were nice. Hot water pressure could have been better ...

The bad:
1) Unfortunately, we had an incident with security. We left early afternoon to do some sightseeing. Honestly, I thought it was too late for the maid to come, so I didn't bother with the DND sign I normally leave out for peace of mind. We were only gone about 2 and half hours. When we came back - our room was clean, but our door was left wide open. I immediately called the desk and they apologized. Luckily nothing was missing.

The good about the bad:
The supervisor immediately apologized. They assured that they would speak with the maid on duty. When we checked out, our bill had been taken care of. I was all prepared for a fight, but I didn't even have to say a word - which, to me, is very classy.
I know that incident might deter people from staying there, but I honestly don't think it was indicative of the hotel. I think it was just a simple mistake that they were good enough to try and make right. The fact that nothing had been taken shows that this actually is a good hotel.

For the price range, I think you'll find this a comfy and nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
HamptonInnCleveland, manager at Hampton Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, October 15, 2009
Hello,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Hampton Inn Cleveland Downtown. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our staff and our customer service! I was not happy to read about the security incident but very happy to hear that our staff corrected the opportunity immediately and that your belongings were safe. We take great pride in maing sure that take great care of our guests. We hope to see you back real soon!

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Polish first
Englewood, Florida
Reviewed August 14, 2009

I would highly recommend the Hampton Downtown Cleveland. Our stay there was great from the wonderfully friendly, helpful staff at check-in to the very comfortable pillowtop king bed at bedtime.The rooms were large, clean and we had a great view from the 12th floor. The staff went out of their way to answer questons about restaurants (including a coupon for a discount) and assisting us with all our luggage. I would stay here again anytime.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you for your stay at the Hampton Inn Cleveland Downtown. I am thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful stay. I speak for the hotel when I say, we welcome you back as our guest anytime!

Thank you for sharing your experience!
Milwaukee
Reviewed July 30, 2009

We picked this hotel because we were in town specifically to visit the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame and we could walk from there. The first night, there was a concert at the lakefront and the hotel was filled with college-age guests. There were a few noisy, drunken moments late at night but it wasn't too bad. I didn't feel the need to complain, so I can't comment on how well the staff handled it. But I did appreciate that the kids were treated respectfully by the staff whenever I saw interactions. As the mom of a college-age son, I like to see that. They are paying customers, just like we were.

The breakfast buffet was yummy, and I liked that they changed some of the options each day. The "fitness center" is small -- just a couple machines -- but I never saw anyone else using it so that wasn't a problem.

Every dealing I had with a staff person was friendly, attentive and (most importantly) the information they gave us was accurate to a fault. I have nothing but positive things to say about Jason at the front desk!

I would have liked an option that included a large bed and a small one. As it was, there was only double/double or king. As a couple traveling with a third person, we needed two beds and that double was a bit crowded.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank barefootgal88
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Bad from the start. Had to get out of the car to go and tell the valet that we were checking in and needed parking. They couldn't be bothered to come out to the car themselves. Line at front desk to check in, only one clerk, who was thoroughly disinterested in poor service by valets. Large overflowing open garbage bin was blocking the elevators. Carpets in elevator and halls were filthy. Small room was shabby, beds poorly made and bed covers frayed. When I went back to front desk to complain there was a line of at least a dozen people waiting to check in and still only one clerk, so I gave up and we simply left.
Hampton Inn/Hilton Hotels should be ashamed of this property.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
All over
Reviewed June 25, 2009

Great Location and always a friendly staff! Easy walking distance to everything you would need. I stay for business, but also great for a vacation.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Indiana
Reviewed June 19, 2009

I was just a tad concerned by some of the negative reviews here, but my stay worked out fine. The staff is excellent - very friendly and helpful! The issues about aging are, in my opinon, overstated. Yes, it's not new. But it's not out of the 40's or 50's, either. I was satisfied with the room. The bed was extremely comfortable. Yes, the air conditioner is not whisper quiet, but it's in the normal range of hotel air conditioners. I am pretty sensitive to noise and I managed OK. The breakfast was satisfactory. There are a couple of hot items like eggs, the rest is typical fare: cereal, bagels, fruit. It's a good value for downtown Cleveland and in a good spot, easy walking distance to many attractions and restaurants. Parking is extra ($15 self park, $18 valet), but that's life downtown. The valets are extremely helpful. The self park works fine, too - right across the street. To pay less and get more, you will need to get well away from downtown.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank RJay4
HamptonInnCleveland, manager at Hampton Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, July 2, 2009
Hello,

Thank you for your recent stay with the Hampton Inn Cleveland Downtown! We appreciate you taking the time to comment on our property!

We hope that next time you are in town, you will let us know. We would be honored to have you stay with us again!

Thank you!
NA
Reviewed May 22, 2009

Stayed here for one night (for the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon).

Pros:
- Convenient location. [Literally two blocks to the starting line of the race. Also, a 15-20 minute walk to the Rock Hall of Fame, the Science Museum and the Stadium].
- Cost me $98 per night (prepaid booking).
- Nice, large room. Coffee maker in the room. Coffee (better) also available downstairs.
- No billing issues. Got checked in early (around 10:30am). Checkout takes 2 minutes.

Cons:
- The neighborhood (outside the runners & tourists) was pretty empty. Felt a bit like a ghost town. But then again, it was a Saturday morning in the downtown.

Other:
- Hotel breakfast was good, though they only start serving at 6am.
- Wakeup calls come in on time.
- I think they have a fitness center (didn't check it out).
- Don't trust their weather forecasts. They are printed out and taped to the elevators / front desk a week in advance. Weather in Cleveland changes quite a bit and frequently.
- Need to swipe in with the guest card to enter after 11pm.

Overall: Great value, nice stay, would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank Traveler14698
HamptonInnCleveland, Manager at Hampton Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, July 2, 2009
Hello,

Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn Cleveland Downtown for your recent stay. We were happy to read that you had no issues regarding the hotel itself. We take pride in making sure that we are taking care of our guests.

I do want to mention that we do have fitness center located on our 3rd floor. We have professionally made signs posted in each elevator displaying where our fitness center, meeting rooms and vending manchines are located. In addition, we do have the weather forecast and events happening in the area for one week at a time. The weather and events are displayed in a frame, not taped, in each elevator. The weather report is printed of every Monday morning. We hope that it is accurate but we can only report what we gather from the internet.

Once again, we are very pleased that you enjoyed yourself and we hope that you will revisit us next year for the Marathon, if not, before then!

Thank you again!