“A pleasant accident” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bar Cento

Bar Cento
Reserve with OpenTable
Bar Cento is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #183 of 1,832 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: Bar, Pizza, Italian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lorain Ave.
Transit: Visit www.BarCento.com for a map of Bar Cento's location and detailed public transportation information. We are across the street from the West 25th Rapid Transit stop.
“A pleasant accident”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

First night in Cleveland, we wanted to go eat an exotic dinner at a Vietnamese/Cambodian place. When we arrived downtown it started raining hard. We ducked in the Bier Market to stay dry, asked to see a menu while we waited. Bridey smiled and welcomed us in and made us feel at home.
We saw italian specialties written in a way that convinced us the chef was authentic. We decided to eat there.
Best decision ever.
I challenged our waiter Andrew to bring me a beer with bitter/strong/sour obnoxiously dark flavor (my favorite) and he just smiled, said he could do that. He didn't tell me what he had in mind, I didn't ask. He brought a beer that exceeded my expectations and was perfect.
His knowledge of the beer and wine selection was superior.
He then described the menu and how the meats were cured and cooked as if he had created the technique himself. His overall knowledge was just awesome.
We had a cheese plate to start with which had pickled veggie selection and 4 crafted dried meats and matching cheeses, each explained and described in detail. Perfect wine pairing.
Our entrees' were Italian in origin with an artisan Ohio farmer's twist that magnified the flavors.
The floor manager Will spent quality time explaining without overstaying during our meal.
As we paid (a reasonable price) the chef, Adam, showed up and politely asked if we had a good meal. (Who does that anymore?) While we talked he asked if we would like to see their methods of preparation and techniques. (Who does that?) He took his own personal time (he was off the clock) to show us the secrets of their success in cooking such unique and flavorful dishes.
We were treated so well from the front door by Bridey, to the table with both drink and food by Andrew & Will, to the basement by Adam.
We are so glad it rained and we sought refuge here and got an even more exotic meal than we planned along with the royal treatment by the staff.
We WILL come back next time we're in Cleveland.

• Visited August 2013

Cleveland, OH
“My Old Faithful, easily my favorite downtown casual spot.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I love Bar Cento! When I'm downtown and can't think of what I want to eat, I go here because I know I will walk out happy! My 3 favorite items being the Pommes Frites (you must get the dipping sauces), Ohio Beef Burger, and the Sunnyside Pizza. I've enjoyed quite a few of their seasonal dishes, with the Roasted Butternut Squash soup with chili oil (Fall/Winter) being the one that comes to mind. The service is consistently good. It is very lively place, but its popular and it's actually 2 bars in one. If you're expecting an intimate evening, this isn't the spot I would recommend! From what I hear, there's a good selection of beers.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank NOLACreole
Davenport, Iowa
“Great pizza for lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stopped in after a morning shopping in the proximate West Side Market. Joked with the hostess about them frying potatoes in duck fat, and did they do it right. She brought us a complimentary order, which were very, very good. We shared two pizzas between five of us, more than enough. Great crust, inventive toppings. Altogether a nice find. If in the area, will go back again.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank dmarkiowa
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice place to drink, average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Vibrant and fun place to have a few drinks, but the food isn't all that memorable. Their widely touted pizza was pretty good, but not worthy of all the superlatives it gets. Too crispy/overcooked, and stingy on the toppings. Fries were OK, too - but as a whole, the atmosphere is more interesting than the food.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank yeahwrite
Horicon, Wisconsin
“Duck fat french fries”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

The french fries were very good. We got a big pile of them to eat while we waited for our tour at Great Lakes. Good beer selection. Very hipstery, if that's a word. Really, no one cares that you're using locally-sourced, cruelty-free, sustainable rooftop grown napkins, and if they really do care, they probably don't have a double sawbuck to drop on a plate of fries and a tap beer. I automatically deduct a star from places that harp on this. Just bring me my fries.

Visited February 2013