“As good as expected”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 7, 2013

No complaints about our meal, we had cocktails, a salad and entrees. The patio is great as are all patios on that section of east 4th street. The restaurant was understaffed but the staff were working hard enough that it wasn't really a problem. I was not expecting to be amazed by the food as we have so many Vietnamese restaurants to choose from in Toronto but the quality of food is good enough to recommend.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Great food, great service. Very accommodating to person in party with allergies... Must try the tofu springrolls....

Reviewed June 19, 2013

The prices were alright and the location good. I guess I felt a bit cheated on my main dish which had a total of two shrimp and a couple of planks of thinly sliced, subpar pork (Saigon Vermicelli). The fried tofu was nice and I think the sauce worked as well. Not worth re-visiting but no need to pass it by either.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is not your average Asian restaurant. Not by a long shot. Totally prepared fresh food with an emphasis on 'soup'. Again, not your average soup either - it's an entire meal in a bowl and really, really good - many varieties. The interior is well done, very classy and have a few tables outside to compete with all the other restaurants on East 4th. Not an active gathering spot, but definitely worth a stop for a tasty different meal.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was introduced to this restaurant by a friend who works a few blocks away and it has become a favorite. Before eating at Saigon, I was wary of Vietnamese food as unfortunately and embarrassingly, I had a Western, stereotypical viewpoint.

This restaurant is the opposite of my preconceived ideas. Everything that we have tried has been fresh, light, healthy and delicious. The shredded chicken and cabbage salad with cilantro and crushed peanuts is outstanding. I have actually dreamed about it - which then precipitates a visit! I did ask, and was delighted to hear that the light dressing for the cabbage salad is made with honey as a sweetener - so much tastier than sugar.

My husband has ordered several dishes, but a favorite is the pho. There is nothing quite like this in any other ethnic tradition. I was introduced to pho by reading a beautiful novel "The Beauty of Humanity Movement" by Camilla Gibb, and the pho served at Saigon was a wonderful experience after reading the novel.

I don't know if this restaurant is an Americanized version of Vietnamese food, but I would guess not as much as Mexican restaurants in the US. In any case it is fresh, light and FABULOUS!