“We left. May have bed bugs.”

University Hotel and Suites
Ranked #32 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Toronto
“We left. May have bed bugs.”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Friend booked this place for our road trip without checking reviews, obviously. It's a hole. Basically a nasty dorm. They would not let us check in until 4pm, so we went downtown and came back around 11pm. The desk staff were so-so but looked like bikers. The room looked mediocre, and I could tell it was going to be noisy, but then we had a look at the beds and saw evidence of bed bugs. There was no way I was chancing it. I think the desk staff are used to people bailing because they did not seem surprised. As we waited in the lobby, we got a good sense of the clientele - pretty sketchy. We had to jump through some hoops by getting Expedia to cancel for us, but then we were on our way and not looking back. If you have ANY standards, do not waste your time here. It is NOT worth the reduced expense.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank MrAlison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
Vancouver,Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Starting with parking lot: rather gravel, littered with cigarett buts and bottles from beer and other drinks, ashtray(?) during my 5 day stay never cleaned.
Reception personnel rather aloof,like they are there just for filling up their free time, very unhelpfull, including person name Peter who refused to helpme with starting/payment to get to internet,with saying that this is not hotel property and I should complain to "company"- whoever that may be.
Hotel room is dirty.On windowsill there are pieces of kleenexes and paper towels. in my stay of 5 days there were 3 days without service(room cleaning, bed doing, carbage not cleaned and roll of toilett paper was left on counter even when roll for toilett paper was empty!!)
etc.)
One day room maid came at 5.45pm !!) and was surprised that I did not want the room have done.
I have had every day little mark on my door knob Service wanted.
Next day I complained to her in the hall and she show a list where my room was" ticket out" as
serviced, what a lie!
Bed sheet were crampled and look like somebody slept there before me.
Little restaurant /bar, shaby, "sort of cold and uninviting", average food, good measures for drinks and bartender - as the only person from whole hotel , very nice, friendly, and he was the reason we went there during our stay 2x
hotel is conveniently located on transit system,to downtown and to University West
this is probably the ONLY things which saving this property, but still I will not recommended .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Derbyska
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Worst hotel I ever stayed in! We booked through Travelocity thinking a reputable company like that would NOT steer us wrong. Travelocity is always advertising they get cheap rooms at great hotels so the $85 price tag did not send up a red flag- thought we were getting a great price! Walls half painted. Dirt on ceilings. Toilet and bathroom door dirty to the eye. Mean weird front desk people. In a bad area. Carpeting not even properly installed. Dirty windows. Stinky. Went down to bar. Totally overpriced for watered down drinks ( clearly to make up 4 the cheap rooms ). Undercooked wings. We wanted to leave. Nightmare.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank janip31
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This place was bad. Really bad. I'm trying to find something nice to say here. It's filthy. The continental breakfast....NO! My shoes stuck to the floor. We kept away from the hotel as long as we could during the day so thank you Downtown Cleveland. We were there for an Indians game and lots of other events were going on too so we were stuck there.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank d z
Covington, Kentucky
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This property belongs in Beirut. Parking lot is more gravel than pavement. Dingy on the outside, dirty on the inside. Room cleaning was terrible. Vending and Ice Machines were all broken upon arrival. Room had wallpaper peeling and the carpet was filthy. The only positive is the HealthLine bus route is right out the door, which allows for a quick escape!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel like the West Nile Virus, which I'm sure the mosquitos in the garbage infested...
3 Thank Ron O
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 23, 2013

At first glance, this hotel is in a fairly decent location. Close to a campus and within walking distance to the attraction that brought my husband and I to the city in the first place, Progressive Field. The hotel itself was extremely dated. Everything about it from the signage to the lobby needed a pick-me-up. But we thought, why not? The price seemed right, and it was literally just to rest our heads. The room was ok, definitely NOT the non-smoking room we requested. But again, overlooked that as we were planning on being downtown most of the night. The front desk staff was rather aloof, maybe everyone was new and didn't understand basic hospitality? After the baseball game, we decided to check out the hotel bar. Again, extremely dated and in desperate need of remodeling, but they had quite the crowd. We were happy to see that they had plenty of drink specials and their food wasn't bad either. The bartender was probably the best thing about this hotel. He was hilarious! Upon retreating to our room, we noticed that the adjoining door to our neighbors room was opened. Long story short, the door wasn't locked in the first place, and it never accrued to me that it was MY job to check it. After further investigation, we realized that some of our personal belongings/money was stolen from the room. The front desk offered to contact the police, which I agreed to. After filing a police report, demanding a new room and a restless nights sleep, I couldn't wait to check out of this dump. The next morning, the front desk seemed genuinely concerned about the incident and gave me contact information for their GM, Paul. Here's the real kicker, Paul is never here. Truly, its as if they have a fake GM. He has yet to return any of my voicemails and the front desk gives you the run-around when you ask if he is available. I'm hoping that this review with not only help other potential guest realize they are better off staying where the employees treat you like THEIR guest and also maybe will trigger the staff to finally get back to me.

4 Thank Ruth N
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This hotel is currently undergoing some changeover, you can tell as there are multiple managers/owners there. They are renovating, and it needs it. This hotel is older, looks like a former chain hotel, with a lot of TLC needed. First room, no controls on the air conditioner and wrong type of room, manager very willing to move us, which they did, second room much nicer, though still only maybe a 3 star. Not a bad room, but first I've been in for years that the windows actually open. Old fixtures, old furniture and partially refinished wallpaper. Looks like this room was about 70% done on the remodel, needing some tlc in the bathroom area but overall acceptable for a two star, potential 3 star.

Once this place finishes renovations, and then finishes the bar area, fixes up the lobby, it could be a nice 3 star hotel. Currently, price is a little higher than what I would expect for this quality, but they are getting there. Right now appears to be the party destination for younger adults heading to events at CSU, Wolstein or downtown locations. Is about a 5 minute cab ride from downtown events.