“I totally Disagree With All of the Negative Reviews”

University Hotel and Suites
Ranked #32 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My wife and I were quite apprehensive about spending three nights in this hotel with our young son.after reading all of the negative reviews here.
We visited Cleveland to see some Red Sox games, visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. and to to see the city, shop, etc.
Anyways, the room was spacious, clean and the beds were quite large and comfortable.
There was also a fridge and microwave in the room which came in quite handy.
The bus stopped very regularly right next to the hotel in both directions.
The hotel is located on the portion of Euclid St., that is not heavily settled or traveled as opposed to the other end of Euclid a mile and a half or two away which is in the downtown section.
That said, we only rode the bus one time and the other times we walked from the hotel to the downtown section including late at night and NEVER once felt threatened.as some said or implied.
The street near the hotel while not heavily traveled is very well lit, and as stated not once during our regular walks feel threatened.
We were also treated courteously by the staff and they took the time to answer questions regarding directions and other matters.
No the hotel is not the Hilton, Bellagio, etc., and it is a bit old.
However, unless you are planning to live your vacation in your hotel room, overall it was just fine and even more so with the amenities.
Overall I recommend this place and even more so if your don't want to pay double or even triple what the big name hotels charge.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PaulChicopee
There are newer reviews for University Hotel and Suites

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Other than it's cheap price ($69 including tax), and that it was very close to the Cleveland Clinic Hospital, the staff wasn't very helpful or caring, the rooms were just okay, the neighbors down the hall were argueing loudly at 5 am, and safety of myself and my vehicle were a real concern. If you're not the type of person that is intimidated easily and price is your big concern (or closeness to the hospital), than good luck, other than that... I'd keep looking elsewhere for a better place to stay.
Also, I think people LIVE in this place because of it's price. Maybe they're getting monthly rates and the cereal is free in the AM.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This is the most disgusting, foul, rancid, putrid crap bag hotel EVER. CHEAP but if you can't afford much, borrow money from friends or family and stay somewhere else! The 2nd floor smelled like mold, puke and dirt. VOMIT. I feel like bugs are crawling on me, sheets and room were filthy! Gave us a discount cause our momma passed away at Cleveland Clinic but they should have PAID us just to walk in! The place needs shut down immediately! The laundry room had a small room off to the side and it was piled with cardboard boxes filled with sheets. I'm certain those sheets are used --if the sheets are ever actually changed to begin with! SHUT THEM DOWN!

Room Tip: A good room? Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I have stayed in many hotels and motels throughout America and this one is without a doubt the worst place ever. We stayed here because it was the only place we could find in Cleveland for under a hundred bucks. I wouldn't stay here again if they paid me. The rooms are filthy. The bathrooms were grimy and the air conditioner didn't work at all. There were prostitutes and drug dealers in and out all night long and my husband and I actually felt like we were in danger. Being from New York this is a rare feeling when we are traveling. The bathtub had black dirt caked all along the floor and when we complained to the front desk they looked at us as if we were the ones in the wrong. Stay far away. I would have felt safer sleeping on a park bench. There is so much more I could write about the unsanitary conditions but I would need to separate it by chapters.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Cmadamo
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We arrived on June 16. The manager was updating the computer while we waited to check -in. I was checking in and my boyfriend was waiting nearby. He told him to go sit down and not stand around waiting. I was shocked at his behaviour. How rude! Definitely not a warm welcome! We checked in and got to the room. The bathroom door was busted. It appeared that the bathroom door was locked and someone kicked in the door to get in. The knob was dangling and the door was split. I took a picture and proceeded to reception to inform them of the busted door since I did not want to be charged for the damage.

One of the beds seemed to be broken. It sagged to one side. The other bed was okay so we slept in that one. The curtain hooks were off in some places so the curtain never fully closed.

The breakfast was pathetic. The juice was so watered down, it was not drinkable. We skipped breakfast the second day and ate somewhere else.

The pizza at the hotel restaurant was okay. The bartender was friendly and helpful.

The best thing was the Free parking which saved us about $48. We came to Cleveland to see the Cleveland Gladiator game so the hotel was just for sleeping. If that is what you are looking for then that is what this hotel offers. On our previous visit to Cleveland, we stayed at the Hampton Inn downtown. It is far superior, both for the quality of the hotel and the breakfast.

We walked to and from downtown on both days. The first day was a little scary due to a few unsavoury characters a block or two away from the hotel but after that it was fine. They weren't loitering around for the rest of our stay. We did walk back to the hotel around 10 to 11 pm at night on both nights and it felt safe. The place gets really quiet at night. There is not much to do.

The hub of activity seems to be on the street/alleyway near the bowling alley (which is on Euclid). Most of the bars seem to be located on this street. There was a live band at one of the bars.... music was audible on the street. The House of Blues was sold out so we did not get to go to see the live performance.

We went into a Martini bar (not sure of the name but you go through a restaurant and down the stairs where you will find two clubs next to each other playing different music). It was interesting. We each had a different martini. They were expensive but very delicious. I would recommend trying it.

I am definitely not impressed with this hotel; however, if you are on a budget, it served its purpose.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tweet2011
Reviewed June 22, 2012

So all the reviews on this place are pretty dead on for the most part and no one should give it more than 2 stars. But if you are going to a game downtown, and really just want some place to put your stuff and catch maybe a few hours of sleep before getting out of town, there aren't many other choices in Cleveland. We went to an Indians game then partied downtown and slept there for 2 hours. That's all its good for. Don't plan on showering there and don't walk back from downtown. As my cleveland friends said, probably a 20% chance you would get jumped. If you can afford to stay outside the city or a nicer place downtown then do it, but if you just need a few hours to crash and want cheap, then it could be worse. You do get what you pay for. Just make sure to lock the door at night.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank RIfratboy
Reviewed June 21, 2012

When I arrived in my room, I noticed the floor very dirty. there was trash under the beds. the bathroom had hair in the tub and the soap was used wrapped in toilet paper and the toilet had not been flushed. Throughout the night I awoke very uncomfortable due to the airconditioner not cooling the room right. For the price you pay I would probably find another hotel next time.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo