“Economical and staff very helpful to guests” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Downtown

Comfort Inn Downtown
Ranked #22 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
michigan
“Economical and staff very helpful to guests”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

I found the room to be affordable and nice. If I wanted a room like the Hyatt I would have paid the extra money to book in the Hyatt. My room was clean and comfortable. I was in Cleveland for the Cleveland Clinic.. I found the hotel staff to be very helpful and nice. The free shuttle to the clinic and hospital was great. The continental breakfast offered more than I expected. Very satisfied.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Korean first
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

Of all the hundreds of hotels I have stayed in this is by far the worst.
There is nothing out of the ordinary in lobby when you check in. Immediately upon getting out of the elevator on your floor you will smell the most vile odor. It is in the rooms inthe sheets and everywhere. Apparantly there is a Subway food restaurant in the hotel that fumigated the entire hotel.
I had a headache almost immediately.
Avoid avoid avoid this hotel unless you like the smell of vomit and body odor.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
daysinnrichfield, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
I would like to apologize to this guest. He was probably put in a room above Subway Rest. and when they cook their bread it sometimes makes it way into the 2nd floor hallway. Had they said something to the front desk we would have moved them immediatlely. If anyone has this experience they are moved without hesitation..Surprisingly some guest say the smell makes em hungary.
ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

Room was not at all what I expect in a Comfort inn. The bed was saggy and hard. The room small and old. The entire hotel needs an update. And the free continental breakfast is a must to miss!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
Don't know what to say to this guest. If you read the 2 reviews below this one they tell you just the opposite from this guest. If there was a problem with his stay I wish he would have come to me or my staff and we would have done all we could to make it better for him. If we don't know of a bad situation there is know way to fix it.

Max Baire
Asst. General Manager
Kanab, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

We stayed here during Obama's presidential campaign. We had seen some mixed reviews so we were a little nervous about what we would find once we arrived. We were pleasantly surprised. The rooms were spacious and clean and the breakfast buffet was well stocked and quite good. Location was fine for us- the only downside was that parking fees were not included in our room cost.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Niagara Falls, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

I was a little hesitant at first when booking this hotel. But I'm glad we did stay here. I think they may have refurbished the rooms since some of the reviews here because the carpeting, furniture, bedding, etc. all seemed new. Rooms and hotel were also very clean. Don't be afriad by the bad reviews. The free breakfast was nice, coffee, apple and orange juice, milk, assorted cereals, hard boiled egges, bagels, english muffins, other pastries and muffins, fruit (apples, bananas, oranges), yogurt, and waffle iron. All staff that I spoke with were friendly and helpful.
We got the Cleveland clinic rate, $69 a night but had to pay an exttra $10 because I was an additional adult in the room. If you are going to the clinic make sure you ask about the clinic rate, I'm not sure if it varies by season, but they also have a free shuttle to the clinic. I was advised to book our time on the shuttle at check in to ensure the time we wanted. I think it runs from 7am or so till latter in the afternoon like 6 or 7. To return to the hotel you call and they come back to get you. Both our drivers were very polite and helpful, the one even went into the clinic to get my mother a wheelchair. No loud music, actually they were playing some soft jazz on the way there nothing on the way back.
My only complaint was the overcrowded parking garage. My dad had his friends brand new Honda Accord for the trip and I attempted to park it in the garage... well lets just say how I got out of there without a scratch on the paint is a mystery. It was the most overcrowed small space with WAY too many cars cramed in there with no attendant, at one point I didn't know how I was gonna get out. The over crowding may have been due to a Jamie Fox concert was going on across the street and they may of had illegal parkers. But my advive would be DO NOT drive your car down that one-way, narrow ramp, into that narrow, small garage unless you want dings and scratches because if you don't hit someone else, someone else would be sure to hit you. We were able to park in the lot behind the hotel, the hotel gave us a card and we just had to give it to the attendant (which according to the sign this lot had an attendand 24-hrs) and he gave us a card to put on our dash.
Overall, I recomend the Comfort Inn Downtown.

• Stayed August 2009
2 Thank danny1381
Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

Our stay was fine, nothing great, rooms were old but ok. Only one staff member was friendly the entire time. The last morning we were there we got a call that our car was broken into and we were robbed while parked in the Comfort Inn's GARAGE (without a working door). All the staff could say was "sorry...nothing we can do". Never again - and be FOREWARNED (a total of atleast 3 vehicles were broken into)!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
This guest is right!! I'll be the first to take blame for this incedent. The garage door was not working properly that night and someone had snuck down the ramp to the garage and broke out a couple of windows. I've been here now going on 5 yrs and to this day this is the only incedent of break-ins or vandalism to any vehicles at our hotel. The only people allowed to park in the garage are employees and hotel guest. The garage door was fixed immediately and we always have a guard in the parking lot booth 24 hours a day. At the time was not sure what I could for this guest and the other 2 that had their cars broken into but we did cover damage costs for the guests and comped their stays at the hotel for that night.

Max Baire
Asst. General Manager
Knoxville, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

This hotel is a little nicer than the Guesthouse, but this hotel is much further away. The hotel has a very nice breakfast (complimentary) with fruit (mostly bananas), cereal, yogurt, juice, pastries, and a waffle iron with waffle batter (my personal favorite).

The rooms were fairly quiet and the staff was reasonably friendly. If you have the misfortune of being in Cleveland, this hotel is okay. At least the price isn't too bad.

If you are in Cleveland for the Cleveland Clinic, ask for the Cleveland Clinic Rate (if they are still doing this). We got a small discount since we were there for the Clinic.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple