“Strange yet comfortable”

Comfort Inn Downtown
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The evening at this hotel was the 3rd leg of a 1,860 mile cross country trip that started in Texas. We began the day in Nashville, took a side trip to Paris, KY then drove to Cleveland. We got in late at night, It was somewhat hard to find and I was worried about leaving the car in the parking lot but was assured that there was someone there to guard the parking lot. We stayed in room 500 and much to our suprise it had a sitting area and a bedroom off of that. The bathroom was on the right as you walked in and the bathtub had two curtains one opened into the bathroom the other opened into the sitting area. We are still trying to figure that one out but it was a clean room.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LynnanGlynn
daysinnrichfield, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Thank you so very much for your kind words about the Days Inn! We strive to fulfill every guest’s needs while staying in our hotel, offering a comfortable home away from home that you can look forward to at the end of your day. We understand that it takes an extra effort to express your opinion for our hard work, and we look forward to returning the favor on your next stay at our hotel. Your specific comments are genuinely appreciated and will be discussed in our next staff meeting. We’re grateful for your insight and we’re eager to serve you in the future. (104 words)

Reviewed July 26, 2012

stayed 3nights to bar hop & meet up w/ friends.check inn was quick, gave me a free queen suite upgrade but i thought it was outdated & grungy, plus i wanted my KING bed for a reason.and there was previous peoples drinks in the fridge. switched rooms to my king bed.went to wash my feet at 4am after being out all night to find 9 different hairs in the tub and a pubic hair on the wash cloth.i went downstairs & he couldnt do anything until the manager gets there that day.woke up at 9am, took me 40min to catch up to him n talk.Put me in a queen suite.It was clean for the most part.still some hairs in bathroom tho. no wall separating bathroom from living room, so everyone can hear you poop.theres just a shower curtain.this room had small flat screen tvs with parking lot & wall view (which i dont care).i tried to get extra towels from cleaning ladies, but they told me i had to get them from the 1 who cleans my room which was some where around the corner down the hall,never found her. all 4 extra covers i asked for all had holes or burn holes.breakfast was very good. staff was nice, but guests inline greatly out numbered them. not a horrible hotel if u only pay half the price like us & to bar hop. all the bars are on that block or all around it

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank vantlin

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your most recent stay at our hotel. When any guest has a less-than-satisfactory experience with us, we take it personally, and we take action. We strive to fulfill every guest’s needs while staying in our hotel, and we regret not meeting that standard for you during your time with us. Your specific comments are genuinely appreciated and will be addressed in our next staff meeting. Again, I want to assure you that your insight will help us do a better job in the future for you and all our guests at the Comfort Inn. (105 words)

Reviewed July 21, 2012

We decided to stay at Comfort Inn due to discount and going to Stevie Nicks and Rod Stewart concert. The venue was about six blocks from the hotel. On site parking was 7.50. Free breakfast left a lot to be desired. Room was average for a hotel of it's caliber. Fairly straight shot to Indians field and Quicken Loans arena.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Thank you so very much for your kind words about the Comfort Inn! We strive to fulfill every guest’s needs while staying in our hotel, offering a comfortable home away from home that you can look forward to at the end of your day. We understand that it takes an extra effort to express your opinion for our hard work, and we look forward to returning the favor on your next stay at our hotel. Your specific comments are genuinely appreciated and will be discussed in our next staff meeting. We’re grateful for your insight and we’re eager to serve you in the future. (104 words)

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I was very satisfied with this hotel. It was clean and comfortable. While there are limited dining and shopping opportunities in the immediate vicinity, the location is still excellent--walking distance from Progressive Field and the theatre district. Rapid Transit (called the Healthline) runs along Euclid and is a great way to get to Public Square. Staff were friendly and helpful and always ready to provide tips regarding dining, getting around, and local events. Also included in the price was a very decent breakfast. If you are not looking for luxury but a comfortable and pleasant stay at a reasonable price, then you can't go wrong at this hotel

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank 1001Ali

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Over the weekend, I stayed in this hotel for two nights. The staff was very friendly, helpful, and went out of their way to fulfill a special room request (see room tips below). The hotel was easy to reach from the interstate and right in the middle of the action for downtown Cleveland. The theater district, Cleveland Indians baseball stadium, the Wolstein Center, Cleveland Browns Stadium, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland Clinic, Lake Erie, as well as a bus stop for anywhere else you may want to go were all in walking distance from the hotel. The location was secure too; the police station is ONE BLOCK down 18th Street, so there is a constant police presence. Also, the parking lot has a watchman there at all times, so I had no concerns about my vehicle getting broken into. Hence, any comments about this being a "bad part of town" are unfounded and inaccurate. There are some vacant buildings around, but I think you will find these throughout most of Cleveland; currently the building next door is being renovated into office space, and other similar buildings are being converted into apartments.

The free breakfast was standard fare - bagels, toast, cereal, scrambled eggs, sausage, fruit, yogurt, a waffle machine, coffee, and juice. Also within walking distance of the hotel were several small restaurants if you were so inclined.

The room itself was clean and comfortable. I had a suite with a king (?) bed, room 435. The AC worked well, as did the shower, fridge, and toilet. The TV only had 30 channels, but I didn't come to Cleveland to watch TV. The WiFi had a strong enough signal and worked well MOST of the time, but Sunday afternoon I was having issues getting out to the internet. I am not sure if the network was down or if the bandwidth was maxed out, but by the evening it was back up.

The only observation I would make about the room is something that not much can be done about at the moment, but all the same, be aware of it. The bathroom was sort of divided into two halves in different parts of the hotel room. On the left as you walk in the door were the hottub and shower - all of which were totally visible from the rest of the room with a wall mirror. Around the corner in the bedroom was another room with a double sink and a toilet. So, while this arrangement may work well for a couple on a romantic weekend, it would not work well for a group of friends - unless you are very comfortable with one another. Like I said, not much can be done about it at the moment, but if the hotel is considering major structural renovations in the future, this layout could stand another look. Also, this was just the room type I was staying in - other room types likely have a different layout.

The price was the best part. When planning this trip, I noticed that other hotels downtown were charging MUCH higher rates for standard rooms. It is NOT the Ritz Carlton, but if that is what you are looking for, cough up the $300 a night and stay in the Ritz Carlton - its a few blocks up the street. A guy in a Captain Crunch suit will open the door for you and everything. However, if you are on a budget and looking for a great value on a hotel in the middle of downtown, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: I stayed in the corner away from 18th Street and Euclid Ave and had no issues with noise. However...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank LordZordec

Reviewed June 7, 2012

I stayed here in 2011 as part of my birthday trip. It was me and 2 other friends. When I booked the room I put there would be 3 people in the room and when I got there, they charged me for the 3rd person. Granted it was only $10, but it still would have been nice to have know about the charge when I booked the room. Check in was a breeze, the room was clean, but looked old, if that makes any sense. This is a great location for walking around downtown, but the downfall is the closeness of the bars. At 3am we were rudely awakened by a big group of people fighting in their parking lot. When I called down and complained, the clerk on duty told me they couldn't do anything as the parking lot is not their property. Umm what?! Finally about 20min later the fight broke up and we went back to sleep. In the morning when I checked out I paid cash. They were so swamped at the Front Desk that I said not to worry about the receipt and left (big mistake). When I got back from my trip a few days later I got online to look at my bank statement and saw that they charged my card. Thinking it was just the authorization for a debit card I didn't think anything of it until about 5 days later when the charge was still on there. I called the hotel to ask about it and they said that yes my card was charged. When I said it shouldn't have been because I paid cash, the lady told me they had no record that I had ever given them cash!!! So I basically paid twice, and when I asked to speak to the manager, he was no help either, and HE was the one I gave the cash to!!!!! He even started arguing with me (even though I had 2 other people WATCH me give him cash) he said I was lying and that I told him to keep it on the card. I NEVER pay for my rooms with my credit card, it is ALWAYS with cash. Their attitude was horrible. All in all it was not a good stay. And knowing that their manager probably pocketed my money bugs me. I would never suggest this place to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank J T

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your most recent stay at our hotel. When any guest has a less-than-satisfactory experience with us, we take it personally, and we take action. We strive to fulfill every guest’s needs while staying in our hotel, and we regret not meeting that standard for you during your time with us. Your specific comments are genuinely appreciated and will be addressed in our next staff meeting. Again, I want to assure you that your insight will help us do a better job in the future for you and all our guests at the Days Inn. (105 words)

Max Baire
Asst. GM

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Max the manager is the man. Place is clean, secure at night, especially with parking if you stay in the 24-hr lot. One time my friends tried to park on the city street a few blocks away and were broken into. They recently stepped up their breakfast, now with hot sausage and eggs. Free coffee 24-7 in the lobby. Reliable Wifi. Funky in-room whirlpools. I stay here about 3-5 times a year for concerts at Peabody's around the corner. Highly recommend, especially if you are a Choice Rewards member.
-Mike M, Pittsburgh, PA

Room Tip: Sign up for Choice Rewards and start earning free rooms...they have deals like 3 free rooms just for...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mike M
daysinnrichfield, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Hey Mike,

We Appreciate you taking the time to send in a review regarding your stay with us. It's always a pleasure to have you guys here at the Comfort Inn and I hope you continue to join us. We've got the Pirates in town this coming weekend I hope you can make it in for a baseball game. I know how much you love your Penguins so come support your baseball team as well.

Take care and hope to see you soon,

Max Baire