“Stately home charm, modern service”
Review of Glidden House

Glidden House
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed August 24, 2007

A terrific oasis across from the Botannical Gardens. Once a local "mansion", Glidden House retains the lovely period details in its lobby, bar and dining areas. The rooms are modern with well-equipped bathrooms and the staff combines modern service with old-fashioned courtesy. They were friendly, attentive and helpful with directions etc. Breakfast in the glass-enclosed sun porch is a real treat.

Stayed: August 2007
3  Thank EmmaWines
There are newer reviews for Glidden House

Reviewed June 3, 2007

This hotel is well located for the Weatherhead Business School, the Cleveland Symphony (Severance Hall), and a number of other cultural attractions, many of which are within walking distance. Sergio's, the restaurant next door, is very good.

The rooms are charming, although my second-floor suite had some water damage on the ceiling and bathroom fixtures that could have used an update. It also had a faint smell of smoke that was probably from cigarettes rather than the room's fireplace; I doubt if anyone had built a fire recently, as it was so hot. Speaking of which -- the air conditioner never quite cooled the room to a decent temperature. Despite all this, I was pleased with the suite and found it comfortable.

The most blatantly substandard area was the front desk. The two women who staffed it were among the most frosty and unwelcoming I've ever encountered. Literally the first thing they said to me was "What's your last name?" ("Hello" and "welcome" might have been nice.) The woman who took my reservation over the telephone also gave off an air of being inconvenienced by me. I'm not a fan of simpering, fake service, but it seems to me that an inn of this caliber should give a warmer, more welcoming first impression.

In contrast, the bartender, wait staff, and porter were all friendly. Some went out of their way to accommodate our requests.

Overall, this inn is worth the money and is probably the best place to stay in the University Circle area.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
6  Thank SkyeTraveler
Reviewed March 2, 2007

Glidden House is a beautiful property with style and atmosphere. Great artwork, beautiful window treatments, elegant house.

Don't stay here until they fix the hot water problem! There seems to be some management issues that need to be resolved-not enough plates at breakfast, our first bathroom was not very clean (we were changed to another room immediately), and of course lack of hot water in the morning.

This elegant house deserves better!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank monetCincinnati
Reviewed February 13, 2007

After some online browsing, I discovered the Glidden House and was intrigued. My father-in-law had some appointments at The Cleveland Clinic, and we were looking for something cheaper and nicer than the Intercontinental Hotel that is attached to the clinic. We gave The Glidden House a try, and we were thrilled.

We actually missed it on our first pass, and it was tricky to get back around the block. After finally arriving, we quickly became excited as we pulled up to this historic mansion that has been converted into a gorgeous bed-and-breakfast. Someone on the hotel staff immediately emerged to offer help with our bags (and was gracious when we declined his help). The staff at the front desk was extremely friendly and helpful and quickly got us situated in our room.

Upon entering our room, we were thrilled to see the huge plasma TV mounted on the wall. This eliminated the need for a silly piece of furniture to hold the TV, which provided room for a nice desk and elegant desk chair. The room itself looked very sharp, with nicely coordinated bedspreads, curtains, and carpet. Though not overly large, everything was top quality and extremely comfortable. The bathroom was great, with nice marble countertops. And it was great to have free wireless internet access in the room.

The nicest part of the Glidden House was the stunning breakfast room. I felt like I was dining with the Rockefellers or Carnegies a hundred years ago. Though the breakfast didn't include more substantial foods like eggs or breakfast meat, it was everything that a continental breakfast could be.

We happened to stay at the Glidden House on an extremely cold, snowy night, and they apparently had some problems which resulted in a lack of hot water for our showers. When I notified the front desk, they were extremely apologetic and eager to rectify the situation, though we were unable to stay longer to check on their progress.

Despite taking a cold shower, I loved our stay at The Glidden House. It's more expensive that I'd typically want to pay for lodging, but for those with good taste and some money to spend (or a father-in-law willing to foot the bill), I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank clo110
Reviewed November 8, 2006

Generally really nice, didn't realize they had room service till I suffered through a few McDonald's meals, since there are very few places to eat in the area. Huge TVs in all the rooms and comfortable beds. The staff didn't answer questions very well, ("where can I park?"...."over that way"....."uh, thanks"). But all the same, I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank siempre595
Reviewed September 7, 2006

Great hotel & great deal (USD 99+taxes - booked through hotel website).

Classy rooms, clean bathrooms and wonderful beds, nice 42 inch plasma TV & everything else.

Missed the breakfast due to coming back to the hotel at 4 am because of a great concert, but breakfast area looked very cozy.

Location is good, it's located in university area, about 15 minutes from downtown by car. Restaurant next door Sergio mentioned in other reviews has very odd business hours. (It was closed when I came to the hotel in the evening at 9 PM, and was closed next day at noon, when I was checking out). One word of advise is "beware of Cleveland Taxis"! To get to the club takes about 10 minutes by car, but if you add 50 minutes wait for a taxi ordered by friendly desk staff it sums to be quite a trip. On my way back from the club, I waited for a taxi for an hour and after calling three different companies, I finally decided to walk to the hotel. This 4 mile walk was fun, as I discovered that Cleveland is absolutely dead at night in comparisement to any other city in the States that I've been to.

Anyhow, this hotel is highly recommended.

Stayed: September 2006
5  Thank kpzkpz
Reviewed August 8, 2006

The Glidden House is a lovely alternative to larger hotels in downtown Cleveland. The area is great and close to a variety of restuarants/stores (by car).

Rooms are nice, breakfast is okay.

The only issue with this hotel is the front desk staff. They are not knowledgeable about the area and don't have key information that travellers might expect from front desk staff. They did not know what time stores opened, for example, told us the complete wrong time that stores opened on Sunday.

The biggest problem was that we asked them to re-schedule a restaurant reservation for us and they did so at the completely wrong restaurant. So, we ended up with no reservation at the restaurant we wanted. The front desk person was apologetic, but gave no compensation for all the hassle, which isn't the response I'd expect from a reputable hotel.

Having said that, I would recommend the Glidden House for it's location and setting, but beware of relying on front desk.

10  Thank guccib