Glidden House
$187
$169
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbotanical gardensart museumuniversity circleold mansioncampus of case western reserveseverance hallmansion suitesun roomwithin walking distancecultural attractionsboutique hotelchain hotelscleveland institute of musicfirst floorfresh fruitincluded breakfastcleveland clinic
Reviewed February 26, 2010

The best part of the Glidden House was its vicinity to Cleveland's cultural attractions. It was nice to be able to park your car for the weekend and walk to an Art Musuem, Natural History Museum, Botanical Gardens or the Cleveland Symphony. The free breakfast was nicer than most. The room price was quite reasonable. The room had a quirky lamp that would go on/off for no apparent reason, otherwise the room was clean & comfortable.
I was very pleased with my stay at the Glidden House.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PghCondor
Reviewed February 14, 2010

We have stayed in several hotels in Cleveland when visiting our son, a student at Case Western but the Glidden House was by far the best (that includes the Intercontinental). We stayed foe two nights and were very pleased with the room--including very large flat screen TV. The room was very clean and of more than adequate size. The staff was delightful and breakfast was great! We payed the AAA rate of 134/night and that included parking and breakfast.

A wonderful stay. Will definitely stay again. Highly recommended!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank abrinnel
Reviewed January 31, 2010

We had a meeting near University Circle and decided to stay at the historic Glidden House. It looked like it would be a nice change of pace from the cookie cutter chain hotels we usually frequent…I wasn’t wrong.

Pros: Nicely appointed, very friendly staff (particularly the bartender and the breakfast attendant), very good complimentary breakfast and Wall Street Journal, reasonably priced

Cons: Rooms were somewhat small; they are annoyingly obsessive about pushing the restaurant next door (we did not eat there based on the reviews by other travelers).

This is definitely my top choice in Cleveland.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank delawaredan
Reviewed November 28, 2009

I had a largely positive experience at Glidden House during a two night stay in November. Glidden house is a a nice location in the University Circle area of Cleveland, which is a nice area in the middle of Case Western Reserve University. In addition to the university, Glidden House is near the Botanical Garden, Cleveland Art Museum, Symphony Hall, the Natural History Museum, and other museums and cultural resources, all of which are in easy walking distance from the hotel. It is in a fairly quiet area with trees. The service was acceptable during our stay. Although Glidden House does not have a restaurant, it offers breakfast and drinks/appetizers at the bar in the evening. The breakfast buffet was quite nice, with a variety of options, including eggs, meats, cheeses, oatmeal, yogurt, fresh fruits, and toast. Breakfast was included with our room. I suggest you eat a good breakfast because restaurant options in the nearby vicinity are quite limited. Sergio's, which is next door and which provides Glidden House room service, has abysmal service. A couple of other restaurants are within a close walking distance, but restaurants in the area appear to be heavily booked at times. Further, options are quite limited. As compared with other options in Cleveland, Glidden House has a good location with many things within walking distance.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank tsogl
Reviewed October 17, 2009

Would I recommend this hotel? NO! Would I stay here again? NO! Where would I stay? I'd be at The Hotel Intercontinental next to the Cleveland Clinic. Now that's a great hotel. Robin Williams (the actor/comedian) stayed there when he had heart surgery. We cut our June 2009 stay short with the Glidden House beause of several disappointments and stayed at The Hotel Intercontinental. Much better - similar prices.
Months ahead, we asked the Glidden House to have room 323 blocked because we were told by staff that it is the most desirable corner unit. They said "sure, we have guests request room blocks on their favorite rooms all the time".
The day before we were to fly in, I called to verify everything so we wouldn't have any surprises. I was told our room was given to another guest, and we would be staying in another room on another floor. I asked to speak to the general manager, Thomas W. Faringacci, and asked "what gives?" He said he had a wedding party coming and gave the room away. He acted like it was no big deal. I said I'd cancel unless he dropped the price. He reluctantly did, but still the price was more than a standard room price. He said I would get a room with a fireplace. Since it was 86 degrees the day I checked in, I didn't think that was too appealing. When I checked in, the manager knew who I was and never said a word. (How do schmucks like this get these jobs?)
I ended up in room 222. The carpet needed cleaning and had several major stains. The subfloor by the bed was coming apart with a big divot hole. The bathroom was unbelievably small. The floors above us creaked, and you could hear children running across the floor. There was low water pressure, and a dead bug in the closet. You could hear water pipe noise from other units. The TV reception was super poor. I complained. Apparently the whole place was having problems. The next day I came back to the room and the TV was left on and pulled away from the wall, plastic pipe on the table, lamps moved, plaster dust on the carpet. I called the front desk and asked what was going on? They said they didn't know, but maybe the cable company came. When we left 2 days later the cable TV was still not fixed.
The nicest thing about the hotel is the lobby and eating area. It fits the theme of a 1910 mansion. Nicely done.
But what were they thinking in the guest rooms? Our room looked like any mid-priced chain hotel. Our room had a chrome and glass end table, modern oriental type furniture with brass corners on the dressers and ultramodern looking cabinet under the TV. Hardly keeping with the theme of the hotel.
The parking is tight because it is shared with Sergio's Restaurant next door, whether the hotel admits it or not. Cars were parked in the half circle hotel entrance because there was no place else to park.
The real kicker is, since they don't give you any information when you check-in, I went the wrong way down the hall looking for the ice machine. I didn't see it, so I went to the third floor. A lady was coming out of room 323 (the one I had blocked). I asked her "How was the wedding?" She said "what wedding?" TRUE STORY! So much for the integrity of the manager. That did it! We moved to The Hotel Intercontinental.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple