“Loved the Glidden House” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Glidden House

Glidden House
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
columbus, ohio
“Loved the Glidden House”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2008

We spent one night at the Glidden House. It is located in a wonderful area on the Case Western campus. We were there to visit the Botanical Garden and the Vatican exhibit at the historical society. Both are within a one/two block radius of the hotel. We were able to park the car at the hotel and walk to all of our destinations. The room was beautifully appointed with very comfortable beds. There was a delicious breakfast that was included in the cost of the hotel. It included eggs, meats, fruit, and pastries. Sergio's is a restaurant located next door to the hotel in the former carriage house. We had a great meal that included some of the best salmon I have ever had. If Italian food is a favorite of yours walk or drive up the street to Littly Italy and choose a restaurant. We ate at Trattoria on the Hill..Yum..homemade pasta and sauce. We will definitely stay at the Glidden House during our next Cleveland trip.

• Liked — Everything..I even left a book in the room that housekeeping immediately sent to me through the mail
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank ashuppe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2008

My hosts at Case Western booked my room here. It's in a perfect location for visiting the campus, right in the middle. A very interesting building, on the National Register of Historic Places. The original Carriage House next door is now an excellent restaurant. Staff were very friendly and professional, and the room was attractive an comfortable. Light sleepers might want to bring an eye mask, as the blinds let in a lot of light, and there were no curtains for the window. The room included an excellent breakfast buffet, and there is free internet access. The only negative - indifferent housekeeping. When I arrived at my room, late at night, I found a half-empty bottle of wine and half-full wine glass on the bedside table, and both the hand and bath soaps were obviously used. I left a note by the wine, and it was removed the next day, but no new soap, and housekeeping removed the bath mat but didn't leave another. No big deals, but marred the overall impression just a bit. Overall, a nice place.

• Liked — Attractive building and surroundings, nice breakfast.
  • Disliked — Sun shining into room at 5AM; lackluster housekeeping
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Fuzby
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2008

We had a wonderful stay at Glidden House. We loved all of the beautiful art throughout the hotel. The breakfast buffet was a nice selection and dining on the sun porch was very relaxing. We had no issues with the wirless internet access & check-in was very quick.

On our first night we took a 10 minute walk to Little Italy and had a wonderful supper at La Dolce Vita (Sergio's is closed on Sunday). On Monday evening, we dined at Sergio's, which was also delicious. We enjoyed the Botanical Gardens, which are right across the street ... especially the Costa Rican Butterfly Cloud Forest. We would certainly recommend these accomodations to anyone staying in Cleveland.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stephanie S
Cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2008

We stayed at the Glidden House for our anniversary. We purchased the package with the museum tickets included. We were able to have a wonderful afternoon touring the museums and then a delicious dinner at Sergio's. The decor of the inn is classy with a mix of funky and modern art. The breakfast was good in the morning and we found all of the staff friendly and helpful. My hubby and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FionaCleveland
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2007

I stayed at the Glidden House for two nights as part of a business trip. It was the only hotel that I could book, due to the baseball mania that had overtaken Cleveland (the Indians were in the playoffs); however, I was not disappointed. The Glidden House is about 10 minutes outside of Cleveland, and is on the Case Western campus. The hotel itself is a converted mansion once owned by a wealthy family in the paint business. From the moment I checked in, I fell in love with this small hotel/b&b. Although there is no valet parking (you can park in the lot behind the hotel), a porter is available to assist with luggage. The porter who helped me was absolutely lovely, as were all members of the staff. Check-in was a breeze, with no wait. I stayed in the Francis Harrington Suite -- two charming rooms (a parlor and a sleeping area, as well as a bathroom) complete with Queen bed, fireplace and a bookcase stocked with a variety of books. The room was very clean and comfortable. Room service is only available until 9:30, although the bar in the lobby offers late night snacks. I ordered dinner (via room service) from Sergio's (the Glidden House restaurant), which was quite good. The Glidden House has a breakfast buffet each morning, which offers eggs, pastries, muffins, cereal, etc. I was very pleased with this breakfast, and happy to have a complimentary newspaper to read while I ate. After checking out of the hotel, I realized that I had left a skirt behind, which, after calling housekeeping, was promptly mailed to my home.

I could not have been more pleased with my stay at the Glidden House (which, I forgot to mention, was only $139/night due to a package they were offering at the time). My only negative comments about this hotel were: (i) the quality of shampoos and soaps in the bathroom -- not up to snuff in my opinion, (ii) no gym (although, believe it or not, one of the staff members recommended a run through a local graveyard; further, guests can use, for a moderate rate, the gym at Case Western), and (iii) sketchy wireless service.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank Chellco
Lordstown
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2007

I always stay in the city but decided to try something different. Big mistake! While the staff was quite friendly and the lobby area was well looked after, the room was a total disappointment. We rented the largest suite the hotel has to offer yet I felt as if I was staying in my grandmother's attic. The bed was the tiniest queen I have ever experienced and the musty smell of the room gave both my husband & I horrible sinus headaches. Although we had a full day of sightseeing planned the next morning, we ended up leaving at 3am for our two hour journey home. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — air quality of room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank EllieLordstown
north of Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2007

A terrific oasis across from the Botannical Gardens. Once a local "mansion", Glidden House retains the lovely period details in its lobby, bar and dining areas. The rooms are modern with well-equipped bathrooms and the staff combines modern service with old-fashioned courtesy. They were friendly, attentive and helpful with directions etc. Breakfast in the glass-enclosed sun porch is a real treat.

Stayed August 2007