“Wonderful!!”

Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Wonderful!!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My family of 3 stayed here on our cross~country trip, mainly because of the reviews. What a WONDERFUL boutique hotel! From the instant we entered the front door, we were welcomed so warmly by both the doorman and the man at the front desk. The decor is beautiful, and our room was fantastic. The bed and linens were extremely comfortable. I can not rave enough about the complementary breakfast~ YUMMY! What a fantastic selections of yummies to eat and a great selection of teas. The grounds are breathtaking~ much care is taken to keep them beautiful. There are quite a few museums to go to right around the hotel. Little Italy is within walking distance. Parking is hard to find in Little Italy~ so I suggest walking. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is about 15 minutes away (driving). There is NO DOUBT that we would stay here again. Thank you for a wonderful introduction to Cleveland.

1 Thank M B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I usually stay downtown near the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame and Progressive Field, but needed to look elsewhere this past trip due to my usual hotel being sold out. But, thanks to TripAdvisor I found a real gem with Glidden House. Lots of museums in the area, but you do need to drive ~8 minutes to the ballpark / Rock n Roll HOF. Glidden House is a gorgeous building, nice rooms and reasonably priced. The breakfast is outstanding, with a wide selection of healthy choices along with traditional eggs and breakfast meats etc. If you like to jog, it's a nice area for that as well. Staff was excellent. Special thanks to Annette at the front desk for taking care of room requests. Highly recommend this hotel.

Massachusetts
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed one night - wonderful ambiance if you enjoy historic mansions. The location in the middle of the Case Western campus was very convenient for us. Most of the rooms are in the recent addition, where we stayed. We loved the traditional decor and the art collection displayed in the common areas. The breakfast buffet was very nice - ample fresh seasonal fruit, greek yogurts, plus all the usual buffet items. The rooms were a bit on the small side, without being cramped. If you were staying multiple nights, you might wish for a dresser. Our room and all the common areas were very clean and well-maintained.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Glidden House is extremely convenient for any visit to University Circle. I enjoyed that it feels like part of the Case Western campus.
Room was very nice - only negative was the solid-colored gold carpet looked very soiled. I see now why most hotels have darker patterned carpets - they are probably in the same condition, you just don't notice it. Otherwise, the room and bathroom were clean.
I appreciated having the free bottles of water.
The art and furnishings throughout the hotel are very interesting. The atmosphere is also very pleasant throughout.
Breakfast was not very good. There were scrambled eggs made into a sort of pancake shape, but were dry and bland, and along with the bacon, were room temperature (not cold, but not the slightest bit warm) despite being served in large silver trays that usually keep things warm. I didn't think to look, but maybe the burners under the trays weren't lit.
Front desk people were very pleasant and helpful. I appreciated that they extended our checkout from noon til 2pm as my daughter wasn't feeling well and needed more rest.

Room Tip: If you can splurge for the extra cost, the suites in the mansion part are fabulous (stayed in one pr...
1 Thank lmyq
Merton, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 6, 2013

If this is the best in Cleveland, I'd hate to see the others. But after seeing downtown Cleveland, perhaps it is. I certainly no longer blame Lebron James for going to Miami! Seriously, I was disappointed in the Glidden House, particularly after seeing the other reviews. The room was nothing special at all and there were many stains on the carpet. I went back to the front desk to complain and they gave me keys to another room to check out. It was worse! Breakfast was acceptable but 9:00 is too early for breakfast to end.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bhighlande
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Where do I even begin? Do I begin with the dirty bathroom when I checked into my room? Or the other room in our party soaking wet from the broken air conditioner? We were in town for a wedding and this is where everyone was staying. I normally would stay at a Marriott property but this was convenient to where the wedding was, so we decided to stay there. Well this was a mistake, you gotta love housekeeping starting to knock on your door each morning at 7:30, or better yet on a holiday morning with a do not disturb on the door, leaving the room at 11am and the housekeeper says to me "don't you know what time it is?" Why yes I do I'm so sorry to inconvenience you from doing your job.

Lets talk about the so called "breakfast" that was included, first off who only serves to 9am? Each morning there was never enough food, and you have to love putting out frozen eggs as the egg option. You are better off not eating than going why where near this food.

Overall a very poor experience, ill stick to the big chains if I happen to be back in Cleveland. Good luck to this glorified Days inn.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Smith1234566
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Took a college tour trip with my daughter and spent a night at the Glidden House. It's conveniently located on the Case Western University campus. It's a beautiful building with a lovely patio area and it just oozes period charm. The reception area was lovely and plush and set the tone for the stay. We arrived, hungry, at dinner time. At check-in, we asked for dinner recommendations and were directed to a staff member/concierge who sized up my daughter's age (15) and her dietary restrictions (vegetarian), and gave us two excellent suggestions; Lebanese and Indian. They were within walking distance - we chose Lebanese and had a very satisfactory meal.

Our room was lovely, comfortable, and clean. We were in a "contemporary" room on the first floor. Though we were near the parking lot, the outdoor noises did not migrate into our room. I went out to the bar with my laptop to work while I drank a glass of wine. Intimate area that drew more people over the next hour. When I returned to the room, I took a shower in the very clean bathroom, then we settled into our delightfully comfortable beds.

Breakfast was filling. The buffet offered small omelets with optional sauteed spinach on the side, meat, biscuits, breads, and muffins. A large bowl of oatmeal and toppings sat on one side of the table. Fresh strawberries and a basket of bananas and apples were offered. After we ate, we checked out. Later, during our campus tour, our guide pointed out the Glidden House and laughingly told us that parents need to book the hotel a year in advance for graduation. It's a popular spot and I understand why.

We stayed in a Renaissance hotel over the winter. Reanaissance brand hotels are marketed as stylish and upscale offerings. Like most expensive hotel brands, Renaissance hotels charge extra for wi-fi and parking. The Renaissance we stayed in (Columbus, OH) did not begin to approach the charm, style and attentiveness of the Glidden House. Dollar for dollar, the Glidden House gave us the value and quality they promised. The Renaissance did not.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family