“Great stop over”
Review of Glidden House

Glidden House
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed October 28, 2012

After driving through some of the poorer boroughs of Cleveland I was nervous about staying. Glidden House was great. We had a nice walk around the university circle. A drink in the bar with a very entertaining barman and dinner at a French restaurant across the car park. Everything was well priced and delightful. Would recommend this for any couple passing through.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Glidden House

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Do not waste your time with this place. Staff seems very inexperienced and not willing to be helpful in the least. We had a larger group staying in this hotel, so we reserved a total of 3 rooms.

Upon arrival at 3pm we were told by James, the concierge, that check-in wasn't until 4pm and that NONE of the rooms we had reserved were clean yet; which was odd since on our way in we saw several maids hanging around outside smoking. When we finally checked in the rooms were adequate at best, nothing special.

Upon check out, we noticed that we had been charged a $10 fee for a cot we had utilized. However, while we had only needed one cot in one room; we were charged the additional $10 for all the rooms for a total of $30. After going back and forth with the lady at the front desk, she agreed to make the correction like she was doing us a favor. On our way out, we once again saw the maids standing around outside smoking.

On another note, we also worked Leary, the special events coordinator during our stay to see about arranging a wedding. While he seems super nice, good luck getting him to follow up on anything. What a joke. If you find yourself in the area needing a place to stay, try downtown instead, you’ll be better off with a much more pleasant and professional staff to work with!!

Room Tip: Choose another place to stay, period.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank suzannable
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Fab and reasonable and sweet place to stay while in Cleveland. The art museum is a stone throw away -- and a great destination after a powerfully good breakfast. Count this one as as the real deal.
We cannot wait to return!!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the regular rooms. They were more than adequate; however I look forward to trying out...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I had to travel for business and was recommended to stay in this hotel.
It is clean on the surface, but don't look too close.
Staff wasn't very friendly and not helpful at all. I had to ask for every detail where other hotels would tell me up front (breakfast times, check-out times, etc.)
Breakfast was horrible. Sausage was frozen type defrosted, blueberries were totally unripe, hard-boiled egg overcooked.
Room was right next to vending area which caused a lot of noise at night.

I wouldn't recommend it, but since it wasn't too pricey it's not too bad.

Room Tip: Room 200 is right by the vending area, asked for a different area!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Kathy L
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

We booked the Glidden House after reading the many reviews on Trip Advisor. The hotel has great history, and is a converted former mansion. The property is impressive, I would recommend staying in one of eight suites as they are original to the home, the other guest rooms have been added. The room was large and very clean, although furnishings and decor are sparse. Breakfast is included. But unacceptable. The staff are unable to keep things stocked and therefore you go without. Breakfast runs 6:30-9am, and even though we arrived at 8:20am they were out of bacon, the waffles were cold and hard, the deli meats and cheeses were empty as well as the sweet tray. I spoke to a manager who said they had been wiped out by a bus group, but where did that leave us? Apparently out of luck, we were told more items were coming but after waiting 30 minutes nothing had been restocked, including the water and juice on the terrace. We stated here for pleasure and found the location out if the way to goto Progressive Field or The Christmas Story House.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank CoryDKross
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I booked this hotel last minute and was just looking for anything with a convenient location. Now, if I'm ever back in Cleveland, this will be my first choice of where to stay. It is the very definition of a boutique hotel -- small, unique, and very charming. The front part of the hotel is an older house that has been converted; the back part is 3 stories of additional hotel rooms. I was concerned my room in the back might not have the Old World charm and care that the front rooms had, but it was just wonderful. Everything was in good shape, the rooms were very clean and beautifully decorated, with modern amenities. The staff was extremely helpful. Their bar was a wonderful, cozy gathering place - I intended to just have a quick drink but ended up staying for nearly 2 hours, talking with the bartender and other guests, as well as locals. All in all a very warm, inviting, comfortable place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank escape97
Reviewed September 20, 2012

When I rolled up with my family, I never expected the Hotel to look this good! It has a feel of a Mansion. The day I arrived their was a wedding and valets were parking the cars if needed. When I walked into reception, the first thing you noticed is the quality of the upholstery and the chairs are executive standard. The person on reception gave me a great welcome and was very helpful. When I went to the room, I was amazed how spacious it was. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was a great size. The Hotel has a restaurant next to them and the food their was brilliant. The Hotel itself is situated away from the town centre and we drove to the Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame whch took 15 mins.We stayed here 2 nights. The breakfast room had a good selection of food even for the most fussy of person, what more can you ask!Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family