My daughter and I recently stayed overnight at The Glidden House at University Circle in Cleveland, Ohio. I was initially attracted to this hotel because of the photos, and we were not disappointed. It was at one time the home of the Glidden family (of the paint company fame), and the lobby, bar, lounge and parlor all have beautiful original woodwork and detail. The price of the room, which was very reasonable, came with breakfast and a coupon for a free cocktail. After check-in inside the charming front entrance, we parked in the back and found our room on the third floor (there is an elevator!). The original mansion houses the suite rooms, and the addition houses the standard rooms, which we had. It was GORGEOUS!!! Beautiful pale gold upper walls with deep blue patterned wall paper below. Lovely bedding- feather bed topper, doubled sheeting and plenty of pillows. Very comfortable. Dark wood furniture including a large desk, two desk type chairs, two oval bed tables and a comfy arm chair .A granite topped chest held the coffee maker and ice bucket, and there was a lighted closet with and ironing board and iron. Beautiful treatments on the window overlooking the patio. Bathroom had a large granite vanity, a nightlight and magnifying makeup mirror. Loved that! Everything was spotlessly clean The only problem we had with the room was that a week earlier, I had requested a refrigerator and was told there would be no problem and no extra charge. Upon check-in, there was no refrigerator, and when I asked at the front desk I was told that there was a $25 charge.
Before dinner at the hotel's restaurant Sergio's in the carriage house next door, we went down to the bar for our free cocktail. I ordered a vodka martini and was pleasantly surprised when the very pleasant bartender pulled out Grey Goose vodka. I was even more pleased when he offered me bleu cheese stuffed olives. After relaxing with our drinks in the lounge, we enjoyed a fantastic dinner with excellent service. Highly recommend the delicious Coconut Butter Cake.
The included breakfast was served in the parlor with plenty of seating nearby and also in the sunroom. The buffet featured pancakes, mini omelets with a choice of fillings, hard boiled eggs, fresh whole fruit and berries, english muffins and bagels to toast with a huge selection of condiments, cold cereal and milk. Coffee and juice were located in the dining room and sunroom. We did have a slight issue when we found that they were waiting for fresh silverware after we had filled our plates.
The hotel was very quiet and relaxing. It's across the street from the lovely botanical gardens and near the science museum. It's located on the campus of Case Western University which is beautifully landscaped (as are the hotel grounds) and includes a stunning Frank Gehry building. Altogether a wonderful experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Glidden House Hotel in Cleveland Ohio is a stunning and beautiful historical mansion built in 1910; The Glidden House is a full-service boutique hotel conveniently located on the campus of Case Western Reserve University. Glidden House offers guests a rare mix, an opportunity to indulge in both historical luxury and modern convenience with easy access to all that Cleveland, Ohio has to offer. The friendly and experienced staff strives daily to make your stay memorable and comfortable; it's much like staying with friends! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Glidden House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Glidden House Hotel Cleveland
- Glidden Hotel Cleveland
- Glidden House Cleveland, Ohio