“Difficult Wedding Venue”
Review of The Oaks Lakeside

The Oaks Lakeside
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Akron, Ohio
“Difficult Wedding Venue”
Reviewed July 30, 2011

The Oaks is a lovely venue for an outdoor wedding and the banquet room is quaint and charming. I wish I could say the same for the management and staff. The food was good enough, the au gratin potatoes were black on top.The buffet was skimpy for both the hors d' oeuvres and meal and were not refilled very quickly. Guests walked away without salad dressing or one of the entree items because they didn't keep up with filling things that became empty. They seem to have issues with working with people who have limited budgets. I don't believe you get the same treatment as those who can pay their asking price for everything. At least they wanted to grumble about what they were "giving" us. They made money in other places from us I am sure like chairs and lawn rental.

Every time I had a conversation with the coordinator, they would drop another bomb, twist the contract and even on the night of the rehearsal screw things up for us. The kicker was on the actual night of the reception, they refused to cut the wedding cake even though they had waived the cake cutting fee. The evenings coordinator did conceded to cut the cake on her own time eventually. The people at The Oaks sucked the joy literally out me for my daughter's wedding. My guests and vendors saw their unprofessionalism as well and were appalled. Bad news when 130 some guests and the other vendors see your bad side.

I hope this has not happened to others but I feel I had to share this review for brides to make their own evaluation. Also brides....The Oaks has not made any updates to the bridal room I don't believe since that portion of the building was added on in the '70's.(shag carpet with holes and leopard covered furnishings.) Amenities are basically nil and there is no space allotted for groomsmen either without renting a separate building. Best wishes for successful planning.

• Visited July 2011
4 Thank jmz983

North Royalton, Ohio
“It was a perfect wedding venue”
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We had my daughter's wedding there. It was beautiful, the staff were helpful, friendly and eager to please. Loralee, the event planner was wonderful, she helped with the details and was ever present on the day of the event.
Even though there was a rainstorm exactly at the time of the outdoor wedding, we waited until it ended and the staff ran out to wipe the chairs and sweep the water away. The entire staff did the best job imaginable.
Everyone enjoyed the food, a sit down dinner for 100 with appetizers served first. The service was spectacular, the set up of the tables was just as we detailed.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank JanetBenedict
Cleveland, Ohio
“First Nice Day to Visit the Oaks this Spring”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Hadn't been here in many years. Nice diversity in the menu, Sides are innovative but preparation not that unique. Saturday nights in the spring are very popular and busy particularly when there's a wedding reception. Tried to avoid that but should have reserved after 8 which is too late for me. It was a nice evening but not that outstanding. Food was served hot and cooked properly. Wish we could have been seated with a scenic lake view table but didn't want to wait longer than the 20 minutes we had to wait even with reservations.

• Visited May 2011
Lorain, Ohio
“Always a glorious event”
Reviewed August 17, 2010

The food, service, martini's and the atmosphere is second to none. I have eaten at the Oaks many times and they go overboard to make your visit rememberable. It is dining at it's best..The crab legs are over the top.

Medina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Our favorite romantic restaurant”
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We like to dine at the Oaks a couple of times each year, particularly because the atmosphere and setting are so beautiful. The service and food are always very good. Last weekend when we were there for dinner, a wedding ceremony had just concluded and that was beautiful. We ate outside on the patio and enjoyed the acoustic guitar playing vocalist. She was talented! The Oaks is a real gem.

1 Thank sjanderson840