“GOOD PLACE TO TRY”

Oak & Embers Tavern
Ranked #1 of 33 Restaurants in Chesterland
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Unique local tavern serving amazing barbecue and featuring gourmet specials at very reasonable prices. Great craft beers and bourbons. Now offering Flights of our many bourbons.
Massillon, Ohio
“GOOD PLACE TO TRY”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I had seen Tony Rizzo, review this place. I was on the way to wine country and said, lets stop for lunch. Building not much to look at on the outside I'm not here to eat the building. I check the bathrooms, if there clean, I stay. Clean bathrooms. It does have a place to sit outside on a nice day. We were actually the first people there when they opened up. Waitress was on the ball. I had the shrimp and grits. Good as any place I have ever been. Shrimp cook excellent, grits right on time. My wife had the ribs, fries, and mac and cheese. A half a rack came with about 7 bones. She could not eat it all. Ribs are smoked with a red base sauce. Tasty, tender, good flavor. Fries ok, mac and cheese could have been warmer. A little salt and pepper seasoned, good for me. MY buddy had ribs and green beans. He said, both were very good. He also enjoyed the cornbread muffins. They are tiny. Ask, and they will give you more. His wife had the crab cakes, and thought they were very good. She let me have a taste, and I would get them the next time. They were quite a few things on the menu that seemed real good. As others came in and we were leaving, I did my walk by. There was some good looking food being served. I know some people look for the total experience. Sight, smell, new fixtures. This is not the place. If your going to eat, fine. Oh, the jukebox is going and playing music. It does have a nice bar to sit at, and some TV's up to watch sports. Would like to return and try out some of the other items. Good job. t

• Visited June 2014

Massillon, Ohio
“Great place to eat”
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

Stopped by for lunch after playing golf. Service was excellent for our group. Had the steak quesidella (sp) special and it was very good.

Visited May 2014
Greater Cleveland
“Filthy restaurant, some of the food is good”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I am a BBQ fan so I decided to check out this brand new place. The place pretty much looks like a dump. It is a little creepy. Some of the outside of the building has not been painted or updated since at least the 1960s. When I walked in, there was something that appeared to be a host stand with no one there. There was a flight of stairs to walk up next to that. Since no one was there, we walked in the restaurant aimlessly. The restaurant had a dark and dingy atmosphere. The decor is terrible. The floor was filthy. Some people with me almost wanted to leave because of the appearance of the restaurant. As we walked in the restaurant, I asked a server if we can sit anywhere. We sat outside because it was a nice day and cleaner than the inside. It was nice I could watch the Indians game on an inside TV from the outside. I was able to sample the pulled pork, beef brisket, ribs, succotash, mac and cheese, cornbread, french fries, and sweet potato fries. The pulled pork and beef brisket were the best items. It was acceptable BBQ. It is weird that there is only one sauce and you have to request extra sauce. The ribs had a weird texture and did not taste smoked. They tasted and looked like ribs made in an oven. The succotash and mac and cheese were bland. The french fries, though made from fresh potatoes, were limp and certainly not double-fried. The portion of fries was also surprisingly small. The cornbread is the tiniest muffin you could imagine. It is average. Overall, no one in my group saw this as a place they would want to return to.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank ClevelandBeachBoy
Chris M, Owner at Oak & Embers Tavern, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
As far as the food, to each his own... check out the reviews on our Facebook page and stop in to try it yourself -- we - and nearly all of our many patrons - think it is fantastic. We have a huge custom-built smoker and everything is scratch made from fresh ingredients. Thanks for your comments, we're always working to improve. Not sure this is a fair review since we were open less than a month at the time and most of the comments focus on the exterior of the building over which we have no control. We are presently working with the building owner to get him to properly maintain the exterior and lobby of the building and we work very hard to keep the dining room and kitchen clean.