“The Jewel of Ohio”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chagrin Falls
The Club at Hillbrook
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My title "The Jewel of Ohio" says it all. In my review I was going to state that we had discovered a rare jewel in our home state, but, instead I believe we may have discovered The Jewel. My wife and I absolutely loved everything about this beautiful old mansion. Even though we booked late and were given The Graham room, which is the smallest room, it was still beautiful and was had plenty of room. Their are some differences that had to be dealt with from staying in a regular hotel, but they were well worth the effort and were even amusing and quite quaint. The staff was very friendly and courteous, going well above and beyond to make our stay quite fabulous. The dinner on Saturday night couldn't have been any better. My wife said the Steak Diane was the most delicious steak that she had ever eaten. We will definitely make a return trip.
Tim and Cheryl - Frankfort, Ohio

1  Thank Tim R
There are newer reviews for The Club at Hillbrook

Reviewed November 19, 2012

If you can get a good deal through Living Social or TravelZoo, give it a try. It's very charming but walls not soundproof. The staff is helpful and friendly. The continental breakfast was above average. The restaurant a bit of a mystery. This is a country club minus the golf course. The members have lockers for their alcohol. So the kitchen caters to both members and guests, such as ourselves. Prices are steep for seemingly mainstream offerings. It started out poorly due to their below average bread/rolls: The were those nasty token rolls you buy in the freezer case and heat up - yuck. The dill sauce on the salmon was way too salty. They were attempting to be hip by offering haricot vert while having to explain to almost every dinner that they were skinny green beans...so call them green beans already. But the staff was very nice and service was good and word to the wise, it's no cash and they automatically add 20%.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I gave my husband this Living Social treat for our 20th Anniversary in December of last year. Finally booked the trip in November. Stayed in the Josephine suite, a very spacious and well appointed suite with a fireplace, king size bed and a hugh bathroom. It was clean and comfortable. Had an enjoyable lunch and then on to the falls and shopping. All in all a great visit. I would definitely return.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I treated my wife for a night here for our 15th anniversary. What a disspointment it was. We were given the Graham room. carpet was stained dirty. Bed had no cushion and felt hard. Pillows were flat. air unit was noisy, and the room was stuffy. My wife woke at 4am with an aching back and felt more comfort on the bathroom floor.
There was a door beside out bed which was locked, but led into another rooms bathroom. needless to say we could hear the other guests urinating in the toilet, talking, and using the bathroom. Could only imagine what they heard from our room.
There were kids on the third floor who were running around at 6:30am, which you could hear as plain as day. You could also hear people in the lobby laughing and carrying on.
There was also a wedding at the club on saturday, in which the restaurant shuts down until the wedding have eaten - 8pm.
The staff were very friendly and welcoming. Would love to return when not so booked out, and try another room.....but would be affraid to spend the money on another ruined weekend.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Graham suite unless you enjoy hearing people urinating!
2  Thank Barkley816
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We just stayed at this lovely B&B on a Friday night. We had a coupon through living social. The first thing you notice is the granduer of the property as you approach on the winding road along the river and the surrounding woods, it's beautiful. The circular driveway in front of this historic mansion is uneven brick (be very careful walking) it just adds to the ambiance. Once inside the old world charm takes over your senses. The furniture, the floors, the walls breath Old English There are 8 bedrooms. Ours was the Josephine suite. It had a king size bed, a beautiful bathroom with shower and 2 sinks with bathrobes and a hairdryer, a writing desk, a small refrigerator and a very comfy club chair. The room was classically decorated in English style. There is free wireless in the rooms. but because this is an old building with "leaded Glass Windows" your mobile phone reception is zero. You must head outside to make a phone call or just use the phone in your room. The dining area is adjacent to the Pub on the first floor. There are 2 rooms for dining, the first smaller room is quaint with a fireplace and very romantic. I didn't count the tables in there but it look like there may have been 8 round tables.We didn't eat in there and were a little dissapointed because we were seated at the far end of the dining room near an open door area. It felt a little bit awkward compared to the rest of that area. I would have been happier eating in the pub. JUST AN FYI, this is a private club, so I assume at any given time the members get priority over anyone else and judging by the people there we were the minority. This is also A BYOB club. So unless you thouroughly read through the reservation itinerary they send you, which is 3 pages, you may not notice that tidbit. they charge a corking fee for wine (I think it was $5) I brought my own liquor and made a drink up in my room and brought in down (which is also OK). The waitstaff was friendly, but not great. I had my hot appetizer which arrived 10 min before my husbands hot appetizer. they also weren't sure who was suppose to wait on us. The food was very good, I had the duck, which was a little overdone but my husband had the porkchop which was excellent. The menu is varied but expensive. I would assume this is because it's a private club. $$$$. This is truly a wedding venue and the receptionist told us they had 52 weddings in 2012 already. That being said, make sure there isn't some sort of event taking place just because this house is very old with the creaky floors and all the noises and you can hear conversations taking place in the next room sometimes. This didn't effect us and we had a quiet evening. All and all this is a beautiful place and if you could stay a whole weekend without an event or just an evening like we did it is well worth the trip......

Room Tip: Our room was on the backside of the hotel, it was on the end of the hallway. There was no view other...
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My daughter and I really enjoyed this beautiful and friendly B and B. It's setting is serene-rolling hillsided, churning river, old growth trees, historic architecture. It was spotlessly clean and very friendly. We will definately go back.
There are some complaints on TA @ thin walls and the staff leaving at night. This is a 100 year old home-the walls and windows do carry sound quite easily. This did not bother us. This is a B and B-not a hotel- I do not expect a 24 hour front desk.
What to know before you go:
consider booking a night at the Chagrin Valley Little Theatre-the shows are quite good.
consider bringing ear plugs or a fan to provide white noise if you are a light sleeper.
the Griswald Suite is HUGE-dining table seats 8-12, has a washer dryer, kichette (microwave only) and lager living room...but only one bedroom and one bathroom, It is also less charming than the other suites as it has modernish decor. Also it is up a narrow awkward stairwell-don't book it if you are disabled.
Food is great -but pricey
Breakfast is ho-hum

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank HeatherWilson
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Great value through Living Social. Hillbrook's club atmosphere provided a secluded get-away and a five-star dinner. Nearby Chagrin Falls offers great shops and several spots alongside the falls to enjoy happy hour before dinner at Hillbrook.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland-Solon
Courtyard Cleveland Beachwood
Homewood Suites Cleveland-Beachwood
The Aurora Inn Hotel & Event Center

Been to The Club at Hillbrook? Share your experiences!