“Nothing Average about Hunan”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hunan By the Falls

Hunan By the Falls
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Warren, Ohio
“Nothing Average about Hunan”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Looking for average Chinese? Don't come here. The dishes are several steps above the norm, although should you wish to have them, they are available. Enjoy appetizers and entrees that delight the senses, but aren't over the top. From seafood, to chicken to veggie, all can be shared and enjoyed by the entire party. There are Thai dishes in addition to the Chinese, as well as specials of the season. Plenty new to try at each visit.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank kmiller123

Asheville NC
“Hong Kong in Chagrin Falls, Ohio ?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

In my business career I was fortunate to have spent many weeks dining in both Singapore and Hong Kong (yes, I know they're different) and as such, unless I'm in a major US city known for Asian food, wouldn't even consider dining in a Chinese restaurant....so when my family said we were going there for dinner, I had resigned myself to another ho-hum Americanized Chinese meal. Wrong!

We were fortunate in that when we arrived early by coincidence I met Aileen Chin, one of the principals of Hunan.. I asked her where she had come from years ago and when she said HK, I shared some of my memories of my time there. Within minutes after being seated, she approached the table and asked me if I would be interested in having crispy duck , to which I quickly responded yes. After it was served, my brain engaged and leaving the table briefly, I asked her how they were able to do that on such short notice....and her reply blew me away. It was, quite simply, that she had served me what she had planned to have for dinner (for those not aware, you must normally order that dish 24 hours ahead), and she felt that based on our brief conversation about eating in HK, I would really appreciate having that dish. I truly felt humbled by her gesture...but that is only part of the story.

There were six of us, and all ordered different dishes....and they were ALL outstanding and very much like what one would be served in a very good HK or Singapore restaurant. As she later said, she is blessed by a fine kitchen staff who understands and appreciates her insistence on authenticity. The duck itself was as good as I have ever had it and even better than I had experienced In Beijing at supposedly the restaurant there famous for its preparation..

Service was great, menu selections are wonderful and the prices are very reasonable...and those at the table that had wine were pleased both with the price and (contrary to a prior review) the size of the pour.

Desserts were good, the chocolate being better than the key lime....but the latter had just come out of the freezer, so....

Summary? Go, and don't be afraid to venture away from Americanized selections. They really know what they're doing...but if you want crispy duck, call ahead. You may not be as lucky as was I. Thank you Aileen. You are a gracious hostess!

• Visited September 2013
6 Thank fredfrogAshevilleNC
Frisco, Texas
“Good Food/Service Choice, But Noisy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is a small but very good restaurant. The food and service were outstanding. However, it was a Friday night and diners were packed in all night and it was noisy - very hard to carry on a conversation.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank SidMonge
Hale, United Kingdom
“Not quite as good as the reviews suggest but still good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

A little out of Chagrin Falls town, though only 5 minutes by car, our group of 8 walked to Hunan and it was a worthwhile effort. The food was very good for the most part; one set of dumplings were a little stodgy but the rest of the shared appetizers and mains were very good. Attentive service and a lovely restaurant makes this a restaurant I would recommend eating at.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank IRT68
Cleveland, Ohio
“Relaxed Elegance and Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

This place stands head and shoulders above any neighborhood Asian themed restaurant we have been to. We have gone there for years and loved the bright modern decor, the wonderful service and fantastic food. Be sure to try the seafood and vegetarian dishes. The tangerine flounder and spicy eggplant are some of our favorites. Whether you have just stopped in for a causal weekday dinner or dressed up for a weekend night out you will have a wonderful time.

• Visited June 2013