“One terrific dinner, one outstanding restaurant”
Review of Rue Dumaine - CLOSED

Rue Dumaine
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: McEwen Road & Lyons Road
Description: The RUE(roux) is dedicated to bringing you the freshest local ingredients. By creating lasting relationships with our areas' farmers, we can provide a fresh, seasonal approach to your next private dinner, intimate wedding reception, OR come check us out for an evening or an afternoon during one of our public events! THE RUE(roux) is the glue!
Reviewed February 20, 2013

First visit last weekend, and not disappointed. Scallops appetizer absolutely sparkled. My wife's soup missed the mark by being underseasoned, but that was the slightest hiccup. Entrees of pheasant and hanger steak were perfect. Add one nice bottle of Pinot, and it was a meal we won't soon forget. Anne Kearney may be the finest chef in Dayton.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I loved the food i loved the atmosphere, i thought the lights were a little too bright, and it was not cheap wine was good

Reviewed February 6, 2013

This place reminds me of the joke about divorce that says "why is divorce so expensive? Because it 's worth the money".
It is expensive and crowded and you may overhear the next table's conversations. I don't care. I have eaten some things that aren't on any other menu in the Dayton area and enjoyed them thoroughly.
Places like this don't come along every day. They have places like this in New York and New Orleans but not around here. Wine selection is good too.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

My impression of Rue Dumaine was positive throughout as every member of their team, from the executive chef to the busboy, was involved in making us feel welcome. I have never before been greeted at the door and led to my table by any other restaurant's executive chef, but Ann Kerney herself took the opportunity to explain some of the restaurant's philosophy--devoted to mostly locally sourced ingredients and as many items made in-house (even the Grenadine at the bar) as practical.

We were then left to the expert service of our waiter Tony. From where I sat, I had a full view of their open kitchen, and I could see how this is a thoroughly professional establishment where sous chefs are efficient yet unhurried.

Now, about the food: it deserves top marks, though from a purely personal perspective I would have done some of it differently. I had a couple of their house Carpona Manhattans, quite good but I'd counsel the bartender to try Old Overholt rye instead of Maker's Mark. We were presented with an amuse bouche of chopped fish on an endive rib, delectable and worthy of any fine dining establishment Our appetizers--mushroom crepes, foie gras, and frog legs--were delightful. My entree was trout in brown butter amadine with haricots verts--a nice pairing since if you got the amadine on the green beans it's still a classic preparation--and for my taste, I would cook the almonds and butter somewhat less brown and the beans a bit more crisp--but that's my taste. The rest of the table raved about their choices: steak frites with a steak so tender and a mound of seasoned fries (looked like three or four potatoes worth) and a nice aioli; stewed pork in prunes struck me as a little sweet bu my wife polished it off and sopped up the gravy with bread, and cassoulet made with duck confit--a nice take. We shared a dessert of chocolate gelato with a really good honey madelaine.

I understand that they are preparing to relocate to a new facility a few miles to the south--they've done an excellent job of turning this strip-mall location into a well designed restaurant, but I guess the new place will offer them some advantage.

My bottom line is that the Dayton region now has, in my estimation, more outstanding dining options than ever. Rue Dumaine is a solid contributor to that level of excellence.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

And after reading a bit about Rue Dumaine we DID detour and were very glad we did. Although this restaurant is tucked in a shopping center so a bit hard to see, once you are inside it is classically elegant and warm. The earth tones and beautiful wood invite you to take a deep breath and relax. But that pales next to the food. The menu is very appealing and while it is inspired by southern France, they make excellent use of local purveyors. Entrees included cassoulet (which was made with house-prepared Toulouse style garlicky sausage and duck confit with a perfect crumb topping), braised short ribs, lamb and duck but the menu changes daily. The website tells the day's specials so you can anticipate before you even go through the door. One highlight was the variety of vegetables: I had lentil spinach ragout, a bowl of lentils cooked with fresh spinach, carrot and onion, as well as perfectly cooked haricots verts and a crepe made with roasted fresh mushrooms in a light Madeira-spiked sauce. It was so hard to choose as salads sounded so good too. We split a dessert of dark, silky French chocolate gelato with chocolate ganache and brandy caramel served with a perfect honeyed madeleine.