“The House of Kabob has the feel as if you have been invited to dine in a Lebanese home!”
Review of The House of Kabab - CLOSED

Centerville, Ohio
1,748 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 4,019 helpful votes
Reviewed January 27, 2014

It is ten degrees, and my wife and I visit Ester Price on South Main Street, and find the store empty. I am not very creative, and my wife hates the valentine shaped candy boxes. However, we both know she is a huge fan of Ester Price’s Dark Chocolate “Turtles.” No surprise, and she will not open the treats until Valentines’ Day.

It is the perfect day to visit The House of Kabob. Driving Main Street in Centerville requires attention, and the House of Kabob is just north of Bill’s Donuts. Ok, let’s use Incarnation Catholic Church as the landmark. Incarnation is on the west side of Main Street and The House of Kabob is on the east side of Main Street. The parking lot is small, but adequate.

We like “mom and pop businesses.” The House of Kabob occupies a small green property that has been home to multiple diners during the past 50 years. The House of Kabob has the feel as if one has been invited to dine in a Lebanese home!

The House of Kabob offers a great Middle East menu. We make it a point to talk to the owner/manager/cook. The owner is Lebanese, and in real life is an engineer at WPAFB. Perhaps, his primary job will ensure that a Middle East restaurant will continue in Centerville.

The House of Kabob offers a variety of Middle East foods, and the service is speedy and at the counter. There is a small dining bar parallel to South Main, and a small dining room on the south side of The House of Kabob. The dining room offers a wall of windows, and even in ten degrees, this area is very cozy.

The House of Kabob is a perfect family restaurant. I do notice a wine selection, but forgot to inquire about pricing and service. My suggestion is that one visit The House of Kabob’s website and review the online menu (HTML and NOT .pdf.)

The House of Kabob provides the expected appetizers, soups, salads, pita, and “daily platters.” If one does not know the difference between “#17 Lamb Shwarma” and “#18 Lamb Kafka,” the menu explains. We did not know the difference, and ordered “#17 Lamb Shwarma.” This pita is very similar to a Greek Gyro, and we are advised to ask for a yogurt sauce to spoon on to the pita. In our view “#17 Lamb Shwarma” is a great choice; however, we have our eye on several platters. Our next experience shall be “#31 Taste of The Mediterranean.” This is dining for two at $22.00.

The House of Kabob seems to be priced like any hamburger joint, i.e., very reasonable. Children might be happy at $4.50 - $6.00. Two adults might spend $12.00 to $20.00.

While baklava is not on the menu, it is often available.

Perhaps, The House of Kabob may not be the best date night restaurant for Valentine’s Day. We find the menu to be highly interesting, an OK ambience, a hard working and dedicated owner and staff, and an opportunity to educate one’s palette to Middle East cuisine.

The House of Kabob has been a Centerville business for three years, and we hope this restaurant thrives. The tariff is well below the wonderful fare. We strongly recommend the The House of Kabob to south suburban diners, and to the greater Dayton community.

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank SavantIII_11

Centerville, Ohio
“"Different" flavor - not my favorite”
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

House of Kabab is hailed as having "authentic"-tasting food, but it was not my favorite at all. The hummus had way too much tahini and lemon, and my falafels had a weird seasoning. The only reason I'm giving this place a 3 is because my husband and son really enjoyed their meal.

The only thing that I enjoyed was the ginger ale. That was tastey.

• Visited April 2013
Kettering, Ohio
“My favorite place to eat.”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The food here is amazing. Authentic and delicious, with plenty of healthy options available. The service was fast and friendly, and after just a few visits I am on a first name basis with most of the staff. If you are new to this type of food, they have a fantastic two-person sampler. It has all of the meats (including the vegetarian falafel), with rice, hummus, and their home-made garlic sauce. The prices are not bad, especially for lunch. You can get a wrap (kabob, schawarma, etc.), and a house salad for $7 - $8. Also, the head chef was trained in France, and makes some of the best desserts I have ever eaten. Their cheesecakes are to die for. Highly recommended.

• Visited December 2012
“The real deal...authentic, tasty, friendly atmosphere.”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Homemade ginger ale is awesome! Exceptional food and great price. Baklava is fantastic but order it early because he only makes a finite amount and when it's out it's out for that day. All ingredients were fresh, which brought some great flavor out. The tabouli salad and humos are excellent.
Restaurant itself is a bit cold (he likes air conditioning), so bring a jacket. Owner is the cook and he's quite friendly.

2 Thank C130driver